Lawyer Of The Day: Mr. Baez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read several post here and decided that I would write my thoughts about Baez. They will not be popular however they will be from my POV.

I realize that many of you have not spent extended time in a courthouse or around a courthouse. Yes most D lawyers are hated, called snakes and many other names. When I was young and first out of college I was involved in a case and I hated, hated the D lawyer. I hated him so much that I thought many awful thoughts..yes even wishing harm to him....Peter Odom (yes he is on NG now) was the Assistant County Attorney at the time. The way Peter talked acted towards him in Court I thought he hated him too. Once during the trial I had to take something to Peter's office and there sat the D lawyer. They were laughing and talking about the ski trip they were taking that weekend together. I thought Wow how can this be. I was disappointed to say the least. They were great friends and it was explained to me that this was their "job" and they had to do/would do anything in the courtroom to win a case. It was a big lesson to me at the time.

A couple years later the County Attorney left his position to become a D lawyer in a local firm. This County Attorney set records in our State and nationwide on how many sex offenders he put in jail. He hated them! He would do anything to win a case and get those monsters off the streets. Guess what his first case was? Yup a local LE who was accused of molesting young boys through the Big Brother organization. I almost threw up! That was the day that I lost all respect for ANY lawyer. For most it's a "job" to them. A game to some. I have seen lawyers bet each as to who will win the case. Sick.

I have many more stories and it makes me sick. Yes our system needs to be changed so something like this doesn't happen again. LE does plant evidence, lie on the stand and many other things that would blow you away. I have seen it, heard it and tried to fight it.

I know that Baez grates on many people however I don't think he is bad person. He just works in a bad profession that needs to be changed. Some things being said about him is downright wrong. I just wish people would take a step back and think about things before they type.

I'm a law student. I'm also a legal clerk at a criminal defense firm. Respectfully, I cannot disagree more with what you said. I had hoped, reading the beginning of your story, that it would be a realization, when you saw the defense attorney in the prosecutor's office, that defense attorneys are simply human beings, who provide a necessary legal service. Defense attorneys are needed in our criminal justice system. They are not scum, or snakes, or playing a game, or even out to make a buck. Sure, you get unethical or greedy lawyers, but there are unethical or greedy people in every profession.

99% of the clients that come to the office where I work are guilty. Some of them are not very nice people, even. But in some cases, they are in our office because of an illegal search - a violation of their rights. In other cases, they are in our office because they made a mistake. However, some of them are very nice people who know they have screwed up - and those mistakes are not in a bubble. They ripple out to not only affect their life, but the lives of their family, friends, and sometimes employers. We advocate for them to be treated fairly in the justice system, as is their right. Then there's that 1%. We've got a case coming up this fall, a murder case, where I am convinced the client did not commit the act he's charged with. We've poured tons of money and time into this, because it will be a difficult case to prove. But this is someone's life on the line. Do we really want an innocent man to be locked up for the rest of his life? Do we only give "good" attorneys to those we perceive as nice and probably innocent at the outset of the case? No - everyone is afforded a fair prosecution and a fair defense. While our justice system is not perfect, there can be no justice without fairness. Lawyers are integral part of ensuring fairness.

As for Baez, I can't say that I'm impressed with his performance. We discussed his "shotgun" approach in the office, and the more seasoned attorneys I work with had a similar opinion to the Above the Law article. I will be interested to see how he handles his career post-case. I think that will be most telling as to his possible motivations and/or talents (or lack thereof...).

Despite JB's win I still would never let him represent me in a criminal case. This win wasn't so much about his skills as an attorney but about a jury who really didn't understand their role and RD.

I don't have an issue with people who work for the Defense. I believe these lawyers are a necessity to our country. There aresome wonderful and professional lawyers out there on both sides. I don't see JB as one of them.

Makes sense since he hasn't paid Dr. Neal Haskell, the Forensic entomologist who testified this week, for his work done on the trial that JB ordered.

Why would he start paying his debts now? He has had many suits filed against him for non payment of bills - he only paid child support for his ONLY child when forced to by the courts, and his home is in foreclosure..

I'm a law student. I'm also a legal clerk at a criminal defense firm. Respectfully, I cannot disagree more with what you said. I had hoped, reading the beginning of your story, that it would be a realization, when you saw the defense attorney in the prosecutor's office, that defense attorneys are simply human beings, who provide a necessary legal service. Defense attorneys are needed in our criminal justice system. They are not scum, or snakes, or playing a game, or even out to make a buck. Sure, you get unethical or greedy lawyers, but there are unethical or greedy people in every profession.

99% of the clients that come to the office where I work are guilty. Some of them are not very nice people, even. But in some cases, they are in our office because of an illegal search - a violation of their rights. In other cases, they are in our office because they made a mistake. However, some of them are very nice people who know they have screwed up - and those mistakes are not in a bubble. They ripple out to not only affect their life, but the lives of their family, friends, and sometimes employers. We advocate for them to be treated fairly in the justice system, as is their right. Then there's that 1%. We've got a case coming up this fall, a murder case, where I am convinced the client did not commit the act he's charged with. We've poured tons of money and time into this, because it will be a difficult case to prove. But this is someone's life on the line. Do we really want an innocent man to be locked up for the rest of his life? Do we only give "good" attorneys to those we perceive as nice and probably innocent at the outset of the case? No - everyone is afforded a fair prosecution and a fair defense. While our justice system is not perfect, there can be no justice without fairness. Lawyers are integral part of ensuring fairness.

As for Baez, I can't say that I'm impressed with his performance. We discussed his "shotgun" approach in the office, and the more seasoned attorneys I work with had a similar opinion to the Above the Law article. I will be interested to see how he handles his career post-case. I think that will be most telling as to his possible motivations and/or talents (or lack thereof...).

You need to do a little background search on JB- it took several years for the Fla Bar to allow him to practise because of his unethical and irresponsible behavior. We can point you in the right direction if you want to know what he is really like...

This is a lengthy article from the Christian Post about Jose Baez. The part of the article that spoke to me the most was this quote: “He is the luckiest man in America,’’ Robert Jarvis, a lawyer and law professor at Nova Southeastern University in Davie, said in an interview."

I don't agree. I wouldn't want this kind of fame. I'm much happier in my little cottage here in Oregon, thankyouverymuch.

Here's the article: http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...e-baez-and-the-man-behind-the-acquittal-51985

If by lucky they mean he has to associate with people like ICA for the rest of his life he is welcome to that kind of luck....

My DD told me a quote she heard that she tries to apply with people in her life. I think it is appropriate here.

People show you who they are. It is up you to see it, or ignore it.

I have been in the legal profession for 30+ years. Working for attorneys for 25 and a judge the rest of the time. The attorneys I worked for, one in particular whom I worked with for 25 solid years, was one of the most respectable people I know. Both in his personal life and his professional life. He, and his partners in that firm were the exception to the rule in my opinion. There is a reason attorneys are called sharks. I've see it all, too.
But that man, a dear friend to this day, lived his life with a certain code of ethics and morality each and every day. His sense of how to treat people with respect paid off in his life. He is extremely wealthy and successful. He went through a divorce, he got custody of his children, but he PAID HIS EX WIFE MUCHO DOLLARS VOLUNTARILY until those kids were grown, because he never wanted her to not have money to do for his children when they were with her. What does that say about a person's character?
So, not all attorneys are sharks, shysters, bottom feeders. There are good attorneys out there. I just know that some of the defense tactics I saw in this case, and some that I SUSPECT happened behind the scenes, did not live up to the "character" of a very dear attorney I know and respect.

This is a lengthy article from the Christian Post about Jose Baez. The part of the article that spoke to me the most was this quote: e is “He is the luckiest man in America,’’ Robert Jarvis, a lawyer and law professor at Nova Southeastern University in Davie, said in an interview."

I don't agree. I wouldn't want this kind of fame. I'm much happier in my little cottage here in Oregon, thankyouverymuch.

Here's the article: http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...e-baez-and-the-man-behind-the-acquittal-51985

bbm

"luckiest" being the key word...that's all he is...is lucky.

He didn't win that case by anything more than the stroke of luck. Seriously, what were the odds that he would get a jury full of people who couldn't see the forest for the trees...sad lot, all of them.

My DD told me a quote she heard that she tries to apply with people in her life. I think it is appropriate here.

People show you who they are. It is up you to see it, or ignore it.

I have been in the legal profession for 30+ years. Working for attorneys for 25 and a judge the rest of the time. The attorneys I worked for, one in particular whom I worked with for 25 solid years, was one of the most respectable people I know. Both in his personal life and his professional life. He, and his partners in that firm were the exception to the rule in my opinion. There is a reason attorneys are called sharks. I've see it all, too.
But that man, a dear friend to this day, lived his life with a certain code of ethics and morality each and every day. His sense of how to treat people with respect paid off in his life. He is extremely wealthy and successful. He went through a divorce, he got custody of his children, but he PAID HIS EX WIFE MUCHO DOLLARS until those kids were grown, because he never wanted her to not have money to do for his children when they were with her. What does that say about a person's character?
So, not all attorneys are sharks, shysters, bottom feeders. There are good attorneys out there. I just know that some of the defense tactics I saw in this case, and some that I SUSPECT happened behind the scenes, did not live up to the "character" of a very dear attorney I know and respect.

bbm

Sounds like this would have been a more suitable mentor for JB when he failed to live up to his parental obligations vs. the "flip-off" mentor that he ended up with.

(BBM)

Great post but I respectfully disagree with the part I bolded above, matter of fact, I think it's just the opposite. I have no issue with the "profession" as I believe that everyone should be presumed innocent in a court of law and given the best defense possible. However, I do think that JB is a "less than moral" attorney and that is what he, and sadly other DA's, bring to the profession. JMO~

Then why has JA praised him on TV? He said that JB was really a good person. He also said that he felt no dirty tricks were played in this case. He had a lot of respect for him. Maybe he was saying that just to make people feel better about the case but for some reason I doubt that. I saw the way the interacted during breaks and at the sidebars.

This was/is a very high profile case and with that comes "dirty" games. JB played into those games like the lawyers for OJ did. JB is a fresh lawyer, inexperienced lawyer and after watching him last night with Barbara Walters I came out with a different opinion. I think he knows that getting this case would either make or break his career. I have a feeling that this will make his career. He showed passion and stuck with this case to the end. However in the end I think we will all learn that Casey was just another client.

OJ is the case that started it all. Court TV, Nancy Grace and all of the others who sit on TV and scream many untruths and get people angry and upset. If this didn't happen Young Lawyers like JB would not feel compelled to appear on these shows. Companies both print and TV paying ridiculous amounts of money for the scoop, pictures etc. For most people $$ is a very tempting thing...I think it all needs to stop! I think our whole system needs to be redone. Hell when all of the rules were written we didn't have Telephones. I don't think when they wrote about the freedom of speech they meant this. I would like to see ALL cases, ALL lawyers and Judges not be allowed to discuss a case in the media. What a wonderful world that would be :)

You need to do a little background search on JB- it took several years for the Fla Bar to allow him to practise because of his unethical and irresponsible behavior. We can point you in the right direction if you want to know what he is really like...

My defense was for attorneys in general, most notably defense attorneys. I felt the need to point out that I disagreed with the characterization of attorneys in a previous post. However, as I stated, I am not impressed with Baez, even going solely on his courtroom performance and disregarding his personal life.

Imagine many attorneys are as sick about Jose's "success" as we are. From his
Wikipedia page.

"In the ninth grade, Baez dropped out of Homestead High School, got married and became a father at the age of 17.

earned his GED diploma,

In April 1998, the Florida Board of Bar Examiners denied him a license to practice law, a refusal which lasted for eight years. The Florida Supreme Court agreed with the decision and issued an order in 2000 citing unpaid bills, including his child support payments extravagant spending and other "financial irresponsibility" in that time frame.[2] The court transcript indicated that he was unable to secure life and health insurance for his teenage daughter and that he had written bad checks in the past.[5]

In September 1990, Baez declared bankruptcy in Virginia where he resided. In 1995, the Virginia Education Loan Authority filed liens against Baez for $4,336 in unpaid loans.[2

According to media reports, his financial situation deteriorated in the recent years, with his home, purchased for over $670,000 in 2007, foreclosed and appraised at $272,900.

In December 2010, Judge Belvin Perry fined Baez for not complying with a court order. The State Attorney's Office released information about a tampering investigation against Baez.[7] He later apologized to the court and prosecutors.[8]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther