LE Statements

Two statements from Carbajal in this video from the day of Tammi's arrest:

1:38 "As um Elizabeth left Arizona, um we believe that um Tammi was basically working with her, in order to um um, in order to um um provide a place for her potentially to go and some just, some help along the way."

2:10 "We have no further information from her that would lead us to any information of where Gabriel may be."

http://www.kpho.com/video/22416124/index.html

Think about statement number two: "We have no further information from her that would lead us to any information where Gabriel may be." [Emphasis mine.] That just means that she isn't talking.

From BeanE's post about Carbajal's statment:
"We don't have any indication that leads us to believe that Tammi knows where Gabriel is." Take that as you will; Tammi can know that Gabriel is alive and in the underground network without knowing (geographically) where Gabriel is. The whole network is set up like terrorist "cells" so one person can't lead LE or a searching parent to a baby in the network.

I don't think TS would have been arrested and arraigned if she wasn't involved in the disappearance of Gabriel, in terms of assisting EJ.

Raw video of LE presser on the day Tammi was arrested. This isn't the complete presser.

Transcription by moi. Left out 'um'.

Investigators did interview her, and she did provide some statements during that interview. Some of the information was the same. There was some again new information that was provided, however nothing that would lead us really any further in the investigation at this point.

It's important to point out that she was arrested for the original custodial interference type charges and those related, including the forgery, which involves that court document. I believe y'all have copies of the form 4 from the county there which summarizes those charges.

In essence, if I could summarize it, it is clear in statements that she made to us, also to the media, that it was her intent to eventually adopt baby Gabriel.

As things progressed, as Elizabeth left Arizona, we believe that Tammi was basically working with her, in order to, in order to provide a place for her potentially to go and some just, some help along the way.

We don't believe at this point that either of the Smiths have specific information to tell us where Gabriel is located.

http://www.azcentral.com/video/64563532001

Steve Carbajal interview after LE presser day of Tammi's arrest.

Transcription by moi. I left out 'um'.

http://www.azfamily.com/home/relate...gation-zeroes-in-on-San-Antonio-83440787.html

Reporter: She accuses the Tempe police department of arresting her so they could interrogate her hoping that they could get more information. What's your response to that?

Carbajal: Well that's simply not the case. We've been building this case and we've been working with several agencies, including the County Attorney that's going to be prosecuting this case later on down the road. We feel that we obviously had probable cause for the arrest and all the information we had that led us to this arrest

Reporter: She's being charged with conspiracy to commit custodial interference, custodial interference, and forgery. Explain those charges.

Carbajal: Well the forgery has to do with the, admittedly her own admissions about the court documents involving Craig Cherry. The conspiracy and the custodial interference... basically the conspiracy is along with... working along with Elizabeth. Also the custodial interference itself is some information that we have that says that she might have aided Elizabeth along the way

Reporter: All along you guys have said that you don't believe she knows where baby Gabriel is, however she's not being forthcoming with information.

Carbajal: Yeah. We still feel that's the case. We don't have any indication that, that leads us to believe that Tammi knows where baby Gabriel is. That's something that San Antonio Police Department's working on currently, but we're going to, you know, continue helping them as we can but we don't believe that she knows where he is.

Reporter: What about the mother, Elizabeth Johnson. Is she now cooperating at all?

Carbajal: She is not to the best of my knowledge. She has an attorney like we've said before. So her attorney is speaking with the county attorney and I know they're trying to get some information, or at least proceeding with the charges that we have currently in place so that, that's what's going on with that.

Reporter: Has she been able to corroborate any of the information with regard to Tammi Smith?

Carbajal: Hasn't really spoken to us about Tammi Smith that I'm aware of specifically but obviously, that's information that we're trying to obtain and, and there are some conversations between the lawyers that are going on.

Reporter: From the Tempe police standpoint, you guys are pretty much wrapped up with your investigation. Explain that.

Carbajal: Yeah. Obviously our main goal is still to find Gabriel, and short of that, you know, we're kind of disappointed that we haven't found Gabriel yet. We're gonna assist San Antonio with what we can to help them. We want to thank everybody, you know, that's watching right now that has helped, that's stayed on top of the story, because it's been a tremendous help.

Reporter: Any pending charges with regard to the Smiths?

Carbajal: No. At this point, Jack Smith is no longer a person of interest.

Tammi Smith was arrested for what we just spoke about. And unless there's some new information that we're unaware of, nothing will change on that front.

Police: Baby Gabriel Case Is High Priority
KPHO Phoenix 3/03/10

Includes Interview with Chief McManus

http://www.kpho.com/video/index.html

McManus's statements transcribed:

- We have not for a minute pulled any resources back from this investigation.

- SAPD is considering, or considers this case a high priority. We have not pulled any resources from it, and we still hope that we'll find baby Gabriel alive, and we will pursue this case until, you know, it comes to a conclusion one way or another.

- We're pushing forward with this case as fervently as we started. We have not pulled back one bit.

Note: there was one more very general quote I didn't bother transcribing about LE not becoming callous over the years. Since it wasn't specific to Gabe's case, I didn't transcribe it.

ETA: Above link is for the video. Here's the article:
http://www.kpho.com/news/22738664/detail.html

Someone sent me the full audio of the March 12 SAPD press conference with Chief McManus, including the question and answer session afterwards, which wasn't aired on HLN.

It's split into two parts:

Part 1: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RV-E8xY6sk[/ame]

Part 2: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU9ZzfLEI9c[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member