Lee Anthony's Lawyer Exits Case/Lee's Immunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is a depo I really want to see. It may even flip this case. If LA admits to something that implicates KC game over.

I know but let's not get our hopes up too much only to be reminded of the reality that the A's don't do normal - ugh! One can hope for a miracle I guess.

Use immunity

Definition
: immunity granted to a witness in a criminal case that prevents the use of the witness's compelled testimony against that witness in a criminal prosecution
Transactional and use immunity are granted to preserve the constitutional protection against self-incrimination. The states grant either form of this immunity, while the federal government grants only use immunity.A witness with use immunity may still be prosecuted, but only based on evidence not gathered from the protected testimony.

2 : a usu. statutory prohibition that excludes specific documents or information from discovery

http://research.lawyers.com/glossary/use-immunity.html

Okay. Then it would behoove the witness to tell all while on the stand as his answers are covered by the use immunity protection plan.

Transactional immunity sounds to be the tit for tat kind - prearranged prior to or regardless of taking the stand. If I tell LE everything, they will then agree to let me go. Sound right?

Okay, so his lawyer made a deal with prosecutors that whatever he told during his deposition would not be used to charge him with a criminal act?

From what I can tell, because a subpeona was issued, the immunity just is - that is, no lawyer deal required.

If it were me, and somehow I had gotten caught up in this mess, I would want to get out of it and this would be my chance to tell everything I know, what I did and why and clear my own involvement and conscious. At the same time, I would no longer have to worry about going to jail myself.

Hi Pink - just read the articles in WS media links thread regarding this.

Isn't this big? Lee no longer needs his attorney. "Lee spills all." That may be sensationalized but I wondered what he said?

I don't blame him if he finally decided to fess up to what he knows and after this is over, try to go on with his altered life.

Luka also stated that nothing was any different: being interpreted Lee told the same old stories he has been telling. If he truly "spilled all" then I would think there would be some different things because as we all know from his Morgan and Morgan depo he told the standard lie: I believe everything my sister has told me. One thought that I had is that maybe his sister told him some things that he did not share with LE or the world and perhaps THAT is why he can make that statement. Perhaps Casey told him the truth and THAT is why he believes everything that she says? But he neglected to tell that same truth to the authorities?

From what I can tell, because a subpeona was issued, the immunity just is - that is, no lawyer deal required.

If it were me, and somehow I had gotten caught up in this mess, I would want to get out of it and this would be my chance to tell everything I know, what I did and why and clear my own involvement and conscious. At the same time, I would no longer have to worry about going to jail myself.

But, he is only safe from his own words. If other evidence is brought forward that he somehow broke the law then he could still be prosecuted.

Perhaps a legal eagle could clear this up for us,but my understanding is that HIS OWN WORDS cannot be used against him.The depo cannot be used as a confession.I think if they have other strong eveidence ,they could still prosecute,but the depo ,itself would not be used.
Does that make sense?
For instance [hypothetically],if they have his fingerprints on KC's computer,he was seen with this computer at 1am by TL,at 1am documents were erased on the computer to cover for KC.Even if he says he did that in the depo they can't use his confession ,but they can still use his fingerprints and TL as a witness to prosecute,if they wanted to. I think :crazy:

What good is that though? Once he lets the cat out of the bag - it's out there.
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me because what is the persons incentive to tell the truth? :confused:

Just discussing, not saying you're wrong.:)

But, he is only safe from his own words. If other evidence is brought forward that he somehow broke the law then he could still be prosecuted.

Exactly.

If they already have evidence that was not derived from his testimony then that evidence would not be covered under "use immunity". He is safe from evidence that would come out as a direct result of his testimony but that's it.

I keep recalling LE's statement that "Lee knows what he has done"...that would imply that they also know what he has done and whatever that is may be something that could inevitably be prosecuted...???

I guess I don't understand why TL is no longer needed as LA's atty since the depo is over. Regardless of the level of immunity he has been given, legal advice in a matter such as this is probably wise until the end of the trial. Perhaps finances are a factor. Now that the civil depo is over I must assume LA's participation is over? This just doesn't make sense to me. I hope that as other posters have mentioned, honesty has begun to leak through and legal counsel is no longer necessary for that reason alone. Regardless it seems premature to me.

Luka also stated that nothing was any different: being interpreted Lee told the same old stories he has been telling. If he truly "spilled all" then I would think there would be some different things because as we all know from his Morgan and Morgan depo he told the standard lie: I believe everything my sister has told me. One thought that I had is that maybe his sister told him some things that he did not share with LE or the world and perhaps THAT is why he can make that statement. Perhaps Casey told him the truth and THAT is why he believes everything that she says? But he neglected to tell that same truth to the authorities?

bbm: That is a good point.

I think the "spilled all" headline is an irresponsible media attention grabber. We never saw (maybe by now?) the after the depo interview that Luka promised either. Next thing we heard was that LA is no longer retaining his lawyer.

Your guess is as good as mine but, if I stay realistic, I doubt Lee spilled any big revelations. We can hope though. :praying:

Even if he confesses it in the depo? That's what I'm trying to figure out/be clear about in my mind. Why is it called immunity then?

example: I tell everything - helps the case get solved and the truth comes out - if I told the whole truth and yes, my prints are on the computer that I erased - can I still be prosecuted? Why, then, if I've lied for this long, would I tell the truth now?

Exactly.

If they already have evidence that was not derived from his testimony then that evidence would not be covered under "use immunity". He is safe from evidence that would come out as a direct result of his testimony but that's it.

I keep recalling LE's statement that "Lee knows what he has done"...that would imply that they also know what he has done and whatever that is may be something that could inevitably be prosecuted...???

Help me! Okay is the bolded by me part true even if he cops to it during his testimony? If he tells everything he knows (LE already knows) would that clear him then? Is that not the incentive to tell the truth?

What good is that though? Once he lets the cat out of the bag - it's out there.
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me because what is the persons incentive to tell the truth? :confused:

Just discussing, not saying you're wrong.:)

I see your point. Maybe it's to show cooperation if they do bring charges.
I would think if this is testimony the SA desperately needs they would grant full immunity.
Also there is the threat of a perjury charge if the SA has evidence contrary to what you say.

Help me! Okay is the bolded by me part true even if he cops to it during his testimony? If he tells everything he knows (LE already knows) would that clear him then? Is that not the incentive to tell the truth?

Back to the hypo of LA deleting files and history on the computer.Just because the SA has proof he did it,they need to know WHY he did it.His testimony pulls the whole case together.Did KC ask him to? Did he see something he thought would embarrass his folks? The SA needs all the pieces to strengthen their case against KC.The more LA cooperates the less likely the state will prosecute,but without full immunity it still hangs over his head.
I have zero legal background,so if I'm wrong would a legal eagle please slap me?

I guess I don't understand why TL is no longer needed as LA's atty since the depo is over. Regardless of the level of immunity he has been given, legal advice in a matter such as this is probably wise until the end of the trial. Perhaps finances are a factor. Now that the civil depo is over I must assume LA's participation is over? This just doesn't make sense to me. I hope that as other posters have mentioned, honesty has begun to leak through and legal counsel is no longer necessary for that reason alone. Regardless it seems premature to me.

It could have to do with money or a disagreement about how to proceed.Maybe he justs wants off the merry go round . He stuck it out through the depos and now wants his life back.
I know I would.

Hi, I am probably wrong (as usual) but I have a feeling LA wants to wash his hands of the whole tragedy..He loved Caylee so much,she is gone and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.He seems to have distanced himself from the family.Tampa and Orlando are not that far apart,could spend time with the family.This is just a gut feeling, he told all to LE now wants to start life fresh.I think he is the only one to feel ~ let KC answer for her deed. IMO :silenced:

Hi, I am probably wrong (as usual) but I have a feeling LA wants to wash his hands of the whole tragedy..He loved Caylee so much,she is gone and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.He seems to have distanced himself from the family.Tampa and Orlando are not that far apart,could spend time with the family.This is just a gut feeling, he told all to LE now wants to start life fresh.I think he is the only one to feel ~ let KC answer for her deed. IMO :silenced:

I'm hoping for just that,Nore. It's time. If he's smart he will see the writing on the wall and not want to go down with the ship.

IIRC, there was a time media was stating Lee could face charges and around that time there was a doc dump with the video of the wire tap AL consented to do of his meeting with Lee. That was the last I noticed Lee around, he seemed to drop right off the radar.

It appeared to me that LE were onto him in figuring were Caylee was. That wire tap imo showed that Lee was doing his best to find out the truth but was coming to the conclusion that KC did it. I doubt KC told him or CA anything outright. Although possibly he confronted KC about it and something she said confirmed it for him.

Lee knows his sister well and when that article of KC's friends mentioned that specific childhood area they would hangout and bury their pets.. imo Lee figured it out. Then he probably told CA about it and she had DC go out there. I'm just guessing at this point that the 'use immunity' is all about how DC came to be in the vicinty of where Caylee was found.

I'm sorta figuring, since he received the 'use immunity' that his transcript is definately going to be requested.
I recall something Casey said to Lee in one of the jailhouse visits about a map and looking in the lower left or something. To me, it was a definite clue from Casey. From their house, it would be where Caylee was found in that lot, imo. To my knowledge, this has never been addressed by LE or the SA. Huge mistake.

I recall something Casey said to Lee in one of the jailhouse visits about a map and looking in the lower left or something. To me, it was a definite clue from Casey. From their house, it would be where Caylee was found in that lot, imo. To my knowledge, this has never been addressed by LE or the SA. Huge mistake.
that sounds like it is worth exploring. do you recall if it was discussed? if so any thoughts on where that discussion is? TIA SS.

that sounds like it is worth exploring. do you recall if it was discussed? if so any thoughts on where that discussion is? TIA SS.
I will try to find it. It think it was the first video showing Lee and Casey at the jail where he has his little notebook out and is asking her all sorts of questions. Casey said something about a city map, I think...and mentioned the lower left corner or the SE side...something akin to that tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname