Legal Questions for Our VERIFIED Lawyers #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Themis, do you know if KC can ask to have the LIO's not included in the jury instructions? I know that there are circumstances like the statute of limitations on the lesser offenses has run out so they cannot be offered to the jury without permission from the defendant. I also saw that in rhornsby's latest case the jury was not allowed to consider some of the LIO's of the main charge on a capital case. So, I am wondering how much room there is for argument on either side as to what LIO's will be included in the jury instructions on a capital case. IOW, the LIO's do not seem to be necessarily required, but most often probably are .Any ideas on that?
I guess what I am asking is whether or not arguments are entertained by both sides as to what LIO's will be included on the jury instructions or is there a specific requirement that is non-negotiable? I think there are permissive LIO's? and necessarily lesser LIO's?

ETA: Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that any statute of limitations has been reached in this case at all, i was only using it as an example that LIO's are not always included and asking under what other circumstances are other LIO's not included by the judge in the final jury instructions.

Themis, do you know if KC can ask to have the LIO's not included in the jury instructions? I know that there are circumstances like the statute of limitations on the lesser offenses has run out so they cannot be offered to the jury without permission from the defendant. I also saw that in rhornsby's latest case the jury was not allowed to consider some of the LIO's of the main charge on a capital case. So, I am wondering how much room there is for argument on either side as to what LIO's will be included in the jury instructions on a capital case. IOW, the LIO's do not seem to be necessarily required, but most often probably are .Any ideas on that?
I guess what I am asking is whether or not arguments are entertained by both sides as to what LIO's will be included on the jury instructions or is there a specific requirement that is non-negotiable? I think there are permissive LIO's? and necessarily lesser LIO's?

ETA: Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that any statute of limitations has been reached in this case at all, i was only using it as an example that LIO's are not always included and asking under what other circumstances are other LIO's not included by the judge in the final jury instructions.

Please pardon my ignorance, JBean, but what are LIOs? :blushing: Brain freeze here.

Themis i am guessing you are double checking your original response to my question and I just want you to know I really appreciate it.

Themis i am guessing you are double checking your original response to my question and I just want you to know I really appreciate it.
You are very intuitive! That is exactly what I have been doing. Soon.

KC can make any motions she wants. However, the issue of whether or not to include an LIO is not up to the defendant. It is also not a negotiation item.

At the end of the guilt phase of the trial; after all the witnesses have testified, the arguments have been made and both sides have rested, there is a hearing where the court goes over any outstanding issues and takes up the subject of jury instructions. At this time, each side can put forth their positions regarding including or excluding any particular instruction on any lesser included offense (LIO). Whether or not they are included is an issue of whether the elements of the lesser included offense are present in the case and whether or not they are included in the greater offense that was charged. If there are new or different elements, it would be a new charge and would not be included.

An element is like an ingredient of a charge. If you were going to bake a vanilla-chocolate cake, you would need flour, sugar, soda, salt, eggs, vanilla and chocolate. If you had flour, sugar, soda, salt, eggs, vanilla and bananas, you could make a vanilla-banana cake, but it would not be a LIO of vanilla-chocolate cake. If you had just flour, sugar, soda, salt, eggs and vanilla, you could make a plain, white vanilla cake. The plain, white vanilla cake would be a LIO of the vanilla-chocolate cake because there were not any new or different ingredients.

So, when determining if something is an LIO of a greater criminal charge, we just stack up the elements of the greater charge. If some are missing, but the remaining elements make another criminal charge, then the other criminal charge is a LIO of the greater criminal charge and instructions can be given.

You are correct on the statutes of limitations or "limitation on actions" bar to prosection. For example, if an LIO is a misdemeanor, in some states, misdemeanors must commence prosecution within 1 year. That would be starting from the date the crime is committed until the arrest or indictment. In KC's case she was indicted on October 22, 2008 for a crime committed in June 2008, so the in all likelihood, there are no lesser included offenses upon which the statutes of limitations have run. If, however she had not been arrested or indicted until today, the statute of limitations would have run on most misdemeanors and those could not be prosecuted because of the bar on limitations on actions. Those instructions on time barred LIOs would not be given unless the defense waived that defense and agreed. (Why? Better to be convicted of a misdemeanor than a major felony perhaps?)

So, there really isn't any "negotiating." If the prosecution wants an LIO and the evidence meets the probable cause standard that all the elements are present in the case going to the jury, then the instruction will be given. It is up to the jury to determine whether or not the elements are met at the beyond a reasonable doubt standard. The PC standard is all that is needed for the prosecution to move forward.

There may be an infinite number of reasons why an LIO may or may not be considered. You identified one of them; the prosecution of that LIO might be time barred because the prosecution was beyond the LIO time limit when prosecution on the main charge commenced. There may be other reasons. I would have to be reminded to comment.

Yes, there are "permissive" LIOs. Apparently, in Florida, the courts have described permissive LIOs as dependent on the accusatory pleading. In other words, what would be fairly encompassed in the accusatory pleading on which the accused stood trial. If it isn't reasonably there or is something very different, then due process requirements of putting the defendant on notice of what is charged might be violated. There may be argument from both sides here, but not really negotiations. The court will decide these issues.

At this time, each side can put forth their positions regarding including or excluding any particular instruction on any lesser included offense (LIO). Whether or not they are included is an issue of whether the elements of the lesser included offense are present in the case and whether or not they are included in the greater offense that was charged. If there are new or different elements, it would be a new charge and would not be included.
There may be an infinite number of reasons why an LIO may or may not be considered. You identified one of them; the prosecution of that LIO might be time barred because the prosecution was beyond the LIO time limit when prosecution on the main charge commenced. There may be other reasons. I would have to be reminded to comment.

Yes, there are "permissive" LIOs. Apparently, in Florida, the courts have described permissive LIOs as dependent on the accusatory pleading. In other words, what would be fairly encompassed in the accusatory pleading on which the accused stood trial. If it isn't reasonably there or is something very different, then due process requirements of putting the defendant on notice of what is charged might be violated. There may be argument from both sides here, but not really negotiations. The court will decide these issues.
thank you Themis. this is the part I wanted to be clear on. LOL when I said "negotiations" I was referring to presenting arguments for each side. I am not a criminal attorney as you can tell .

I was just trying to understand what we can say for certain with regard to LIO's. thanks again.

I'm wondering if the state can obtain IRS records to show that KC and her family were lying about any nanny. Obviously KC had not filed W-2's in awhile - and that would indicate she was unemployed. So in the meantime, did CA and GA use Caylee as a deduction? I would assume they'd want to save money any way possible given their circumstances, and if KC was unemployed, they were certainly paying for all her expenses. If there was no cost of child care deduction taken, wouldn't that pretty much lay to rest any income going to finance a nanny? Not to mention the fact that, if you do claim individualized child care you are required to report what you paid, the individual you paid the money to and may have to take out taxes if it's over a certain amount, IIRC.

So can the state obtain and use this federal record in an important capital case to impeach all of their testimony regarding the existence of a nanny?

I posed this question on another thread, but thought this one would be more appropriate.

Does the atty/client privilege extend to all people working at/with the firm, or just the attys?
TIA

If an attorney or an attorney's agent violates client/attorney privilege by blabbing to a 3rd party (for example DC to CA) is the information blabbed still privileged?

I'm wondering if the state can obtain IRS records to show that KC and her family were lying about any nanny. Obviously KC had not filed W-2's in awhile - and that would indicate she was unemployed. So in the meantime, did CA and GA use Caylee as a deduction? I would assume they'd want to save money any way possible given their circumstances, and if KC was unemployed, they were certainly paying for all her expenses. If there was no cost of child care deduction taken, wouldn't that pretty much lay to rest any income going to finance a nanny? Not to mention the fact that, if you do claim individualized child care you are required to report what you paid, the individual you paid the money to and may have to take out taxes if it's over a certain amount, IIRC.

So can the state obtain and use this federal record in an important capital case to impeach all of their testimony regarding the existence of a nanny?

Zanny already had lots of money...she watched Caylee out of the goodness of her little nanny heart. ;)

No, I don't think the prosecution will worry about this. I think KC told friends that she paid the nanny, but told family members that the nanny was free. So proving that she didn't pay the nanny won't be a big deal.

I posed this question on another thread, but thought this one would be more appropriate.

Does the atty/client privilege extend to all people working at/with the firm, or just the attys?
TIA

It would apply to agents of the attorney who are communicating with the client for purposes of providing legal advice or planning a defense.

If an attorney or an attorney's agent violates client/attorney privilege by blabbing to a 3rd party (for example DC to CA) is the information blabbed still privileged?

The privilege belongs to the client, and the attorney has no right to waive it. So I would think the attorney would be in trouble with the Bar, but the client would still get to claim the communication as privileged. But if the client authorized the "blabbing" or did it herself, the answer would be different.

Hello and thank you so much for helping us with our questions!! During the course of the investigation, when the detectives happen upon information about other crimes, drug dealing or prostitution, or illegal prescriptions being made by doctors ,for example... would it be normal for the the detective to assure the witness...look we are not vice...we are not here for that...we are investigating a murder...we don't concern ourselves with that side stuff.. and keep to their word? Would it be more likely that they are duty bound to report it to their superior who would forward the tip on to the proper department and the alleged crimes would be investigated, perhaps in a delayed fashion as not to scare off the would be witness?

My professor used to write on my papers "Simply..Simplify...Simplify"...
so, in your experience are the officers required to report crimes they learn of during the course of their work?
I am thinking of the drugs that were notorious to be going around in Casey's life and hang outs.

Hello and thank you so much for helping us with our questions!! During the course of the investigation, when the detectives happen upon information about other crimes, drug dealing or prostitution, or illegal prescriptions being made by doctors ,for example... would it be normal for the the detective to assure the witness...look we are not vice...we are not here for that...we are investigating a murder...we don't concern ourselves with that side stuff.. and keep to their word? Would it be more likely that they are duty bound to report it to their superior who would forward the tip on to the proper department and the alleged crimes would be investigated, perhaps in a delayed fashion as not to scare off the would be witness?

My professor used to write on my papers "Simply..Simplify...Simplify"...
so, in your experience are the officers required to report crimes they learn of during the course of their work?
I am thinking of the drugs that were notorious to be going around in Casey's life and hang outs.

Yes, it would be normal in a big homicide case for them to make assurances like that about "little crimes," and yes, normally they would keep their word. I don't think the detectives cared at all about the weed and a couple of Xanax pills as long as no one gave any of it to Caylee.

Sorry if this has already been asked, I haven't read all the atty threads (and I've probably forgotten at least 2/3's of everything I have read. Argh! :banghead:). But since several posters have made mention of a possible divorce between GA and CA...

When a couple gets divorced of course they lose marital privilege, but do they lose it retroactively or are those conversations prior to the divorce still protected? I keep thinking it's retroactive since the reason for the privilege would no longer exist, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm not sure if this would even affect the State's case against KC, but I'd think it would affect future indictments... if the SA ever chooses to pursue them. Could it also help with prosecuting KC's case- giving the SA additional strategic options, etc? Or would it have little to no impact?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I haven't read all the atty threads (and I've probably forgotten at least 2/3's of everything I have read. Argh! :banghead:). But since several posters have made mention of a possible divorce between GA and CA...

When a couple gets divorced of course they lose marital privilege, but do they lose it retroactively or are those conversations prior to the divorce still protected? I keep thinking it's retroactive since the reason for the privilege would no longer exist, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm not sure if this would even affect the State's case against KC, but I'd think it would affect future indictments... if the SA ever chooses to pursue them. Could it also help with prosecuting KC's case- giving the SA additional strategic options, etc? Or would it have little to no impact?

The privilege would not disappear retroactively. However, I doubt there has been much open and truthful communication between GA and CA in any event.

I've been lurking in the corners like any good mouse will do, but have to come out of hiding to ask this question. Forgive me if this is the wrong place or if it has been asked and I just missed it.

The prosecution first asked for the incamera ex parte hearing on Feb 3 requesting to delay sharing discovery. On Feb 24, JS gave them 30 days to withhold the discovery. When would that 30 days begin, the date of the original request, or the date of the court's response?

I've been lurking in the corners like any good mouse will do, but have to come out of hiding to ask this question. Forgive me if this is the wrong place or if it has been asked and I just missed it.

The prosecution first asked for the incamera ex parte hearing on Feb 3 requesting to delay sharing discovery. On Feb 24, JS gave them 30 days to withhold the discovery. When would that 30 days begin, the date of the original request, or the date of the court's response?

Welcome! :)

The order says "30 days from the date of this order," so I guess March 26.

Please forgive me if this has been asked previously.

If either CA of GA were to be charged with obstruction or accessory (after the crime) would they then be subject to the Son of Sam law? and if so, is the Son of Sam law "retroactive"? For example if one or both are charged would money from appearances, an "intentional" foreclosure and money spent from the "foundation" Fall under scrutiny (due to [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Son_of_Sam_law"]Son of Sam law[/ame])?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike