Legalities of Unauthorized Family Visits Via Laptop

I know several that have tried to find out and they are beyond tight lipped. And, that is understandable. We all want to know, but, no one is talking and maybe it is just as well. It would make me sick if something "leaked" out and well, we all know where that would go.

So, if peeps have called in with ?s about the internet and the laptop then they are aware that there may be a problem-----a no-no even?

Why can't somebody smart nuff call or email the jail and ask them some of these ?s?

Are we all gonna draw straws or something? You go first - that's a great idea!

If we can't get any info out of the jail maybe some nice person in Mr. Morgan's office would help us out? Who knows? It might be a fun question to add to the list for Thursday...

Are we all gonna draw straws or something? You go first - that's a great idea!

If we can't get any info out of the jail maybe some nice person in Mr. Morgan's office would help us out? Who knows? It might be a fun question to add to the list for Thursday...

:slap:
Send me the ?s and the phone #s and I will do it. Morgan's 2-----the Count.

And what was up with Lee's "C..M..A" not once, but twice. Who refers to people at their memorial by their initials? I don't even know my kid's initials without just having to think about it. :) Didn't he think it would be obvious he wasn't talking about Caylee?
Lee walked up there with the laptop. Lee said in his deposition with ZG's lawyers that the CMA stands for the three women in his life with that name, his mom, KC and the baby. Yes, it was planned and authorized and yes KC did watch the memorial on her layer's laptop. Also she says in one of her jailhouse visits with her folks that JB showed her, on the net, an episode of Nancy Grace discussing her case, so apparently he has gained permission more than once. Lee also said in his depo that he would have had the funeral be very private, but this was the only way that KC could see it. I hope this helps. What is really interesting is Lee explaining to her he set up a special cell phone that she may call him on, and he will want to use up the entire fifteen minutes each time. I recall in his interview with police they were saying just before they went off record that they were going to have him do a few specific things to help them. Could this have been one of them? Lastly Lee was passing on some "advice" he got from T Ducket's dad about how to manipulate the police and press, and maybe that is why she would say often "I'll jeep saying whatever I have to say about the police, so they wont release it. It was interesting that when G and C agreed to the polygraph, it was Lee who said no and put the breaks on that, fast. I think he is a good guy, but he was a little nervous about what he may or may not have done and hired a lawyer. He told KC on the first jailhouse call home that everything she told police is a lie (this was before he knew it was being recorded), and now he told ZG's lawyer I believe everything my sister tells me because I have to. If a person thinks you don't believe them they shut down and I need her to keep talking so I can figure out what happened, so calling her out has not been my approach. I feel sad for him.

Okay techies - help me out here. Is it possible that KC and the A's are communicating via computer, but not via the internet? Couldn't they just video record a message to KC and vice-versa. No internet needed, sorta like snail mail only video mail delivered via JB???? Not detectable by anyone this way? Also, couldn't KC and JB have viewed whatever news/NG they saw the same way? By downloading the show/news event and then simply replaying the video for KC?

If the laptop has a mic and camera built in, which alot of the new ones do.. They can do "live" or they can record.

I would think that recorded would be better. The responses would be more controlled and thought out. The parents wouldn't be about to really get to her, like they did where she lost her cool.

And if JB didn't like the message coming or going.. he could just not deliver it. Or cut that section out...

If they do it live,I would think that would mess up the confidentiality .

Once you try to coordinate your story with a certified liar's, you have put your foot in a sink hole. Every hybrid of parents' account with Prisoner's tales from the darkside will die during gestation but such attempt destroys any credibility in their deposition answers. Cindy has been trying for months & months to torture the facts to fit her anticipation of Prisoner's version of events and look what that has wrought in terms of whether Cindy is believable or not!

If the laptop has a mic and camera built in, which alot of the new ones do.. They can do "live" or they can record.

I would think that recorded would be better. The responses would be more controlled and thought out. The parents wouldn't be about to really get to her, like they did where she lost her cool.

And if JB didn't like the message coming or going.. he could just not deliver it. Or cut that section out...

If they do it live,I would think that would mess up the confidentiality .
Bolded emphasis added.

There is no confidentiality between parent and child and JBaez should know better than to speak to/with his client regarding the case with anyone else present.
NOTE: I am NOT saying it's appropriate for JBaez to be doing this - it isn't appropriate in my state and I can't imagine it is in FL either.

Speaking on the tecnnical aspects.. As long as JB has wireless internet access at the jail and LA had internet access at the memorial. Both laptops had INTERGRATED Webcams, then yes this is likely possibility.

However, as an IT person let me share why I do not think it happened... it is absolutely possible the Jail has wireless internet but it can be blocked with an encryption key securing the access points. This means it makes it possible that JB could have a laptop but not internet access but the jail would have to give them that encryption key to connect to the access point. Ex: at the university where I provide support.. someone can not walk in off the street and access the wireless internet unless we register the MAC address of the computer and give them the encryption key. Even if we give it to the once.. we can choose to block that MAC permentantly whether or not we have given them a key in the past.
Same way at the church.. in both cases I would think the networks at the church and the prision would be playing a VERY DANGEROUS game with their network security not to have the wireless locked down. If you know of someone or yourselves do not have your wireless network secured then find out how to do it and get it done. I could look at my unsecured networks in my neighborhood and see exactly what is on a computer. I could several nefarious things. Do I??? no.. it is against the code of ethics.

So.. do I think JB or Lee used the internet during the church memorial to broadcast to one another. No, because I am POSITIVE the government owned jail HAS A SECURED network.

JB can bring a laptop into the jail. But I bet dollars to donuts he is NOT GETTING internet access.

I've heard of internet providers in my state who provide roaming coverages across large areas, tower to tower, so if the internet user has an internet provider with towers/coverages in the area including the jail, then all one would have to do would be to bring in your laptop and connect to your provider. I don't think the jail can encrypt another provider's signal, can they? They wouldn't have the key or the access... :waitasec:
NOTE: I am NOT sanctioning this behavior - it's NOT allowed in my state. Just discussing whether it could be done by someone who wanted to do it.

I would say that the prison probably first does not allow the air card and second they would jam the cell phones.

Once JB is in gate he plays by the states law and not by his or Casey's..

Well, LA prisons don't jam cell phones. Attorneys seem to use them a lot inside, especially while waiting, waiting, waiting. Kind of the same way attorneys are allowed to bring cells into the courthouse, but no one else is. We're supposed to know and abide by the rules. (I do.)

S'funny. If JB does have wireless and/or air card and is not encrypted or not encrypted strongly he wants to beware! He may think he is being so clever and the jail is watching his every transmission.

Be careful what you wish for, technology can bite you in the butt and .... does attorney / client privilege extend to wireless network transmissions?
Bolded added by cat.
There has to be an expectation of privacy...attorney to client is the easy one - as there is an expectation of privacy, but what we're talking about is not Casey's computer talking to her attorney's computer - we're talking about something entirely different... (Course, JBaez is NOT supposed to be providing these types of family meetings, and he's NOT supposed to talk with or to his client about her case in front of anyone else, either...)

Seems to me that if there's a reason to work around the system, it would benefit the system to make sure that certain things weren't allowed: No cell phones, no private computers. All communications with the outside will be on jail phones and computers. All correspondence will be monitored and all violators will be prosecuted. I mean, gosh. If Big Brother can listen in to people they might think are terrorists, shouldn't Big Brother be able to listen in on people who are arrested for crimes?

I've heard of internet providers in my state who provide roaming coverages across large areas, tower to tower, so if the internet user has an internet provider with towers/coverages in the area including the jail, then all one would have to do would be to bring in your laptop and connect to your provider. I don't think the jail can encrypt another provider's signal, can they? They wouldn't have the key or the access... :waitasec:
NOTE: I am NOT sanctioning this behavior - it's NOT allowed in my state. Just discussing whether it could be done by someone who wanted to do it.

Ok, if a lawyer walks into a jail with a cell phone or a wireless internet card (which works off of cell towers) that is tethered to the laptop the JAIL CAN AND PROBABLY USES CELL JAMMER TECHNOLOGY.

This will block any and all transmissions from the jail or in some cases I have heard of resorts in AZ doing this so people are not sitting around the pool using technology when they should be resting.

Here is a few links....

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone-jammer1.htm

http://www.cell-phone-jammers.com/ (for a good laugh read the testimonials)

That being said.. the jammers work up to a certain radius. One may jam something within in 120 feet. So there could be jamming technology in place in certain parts of the jail and not in others.

Also, I think we might want to differeniate between a jail and a prison ???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back