Leslie Van Houten up for parole again

It saddens me how it seems so easy to wish harm on this woman. Why not hope for her success? She committed a horrible crime as a teen, and then spent the rest of her life in prison. She worked to become a better person, a contributing member of the prison society. We have a parole board, who for years has ruled she should be paroled. Those rulings were based on her prison record. But really of all the felons routinely being released, she poses no danger. You may not like the legal outcome, but is it a legitimate reason to wish her harm? God is forgiving. It will not be easy for her, but for her remaining years I hope she succeeds. Hate is bad.

imo...of course

I wouldn't doubt it lonetraveler. At this point, nothing would surprise me. I can't believe she is out.

Tex Watson should never be released, he is an evil man. He can flaunt religion all he wants, but he disgusts me. It boils down to a power struggle between Watson and Manson, and innocent people paid with their lives. Manson was manipulative as is Watson.
Neither should Patricia Krenwinkle. The people who clamor for Van Houten's release will want her released next. Thank God Susan Atkins died in prison.

She would have been paroled 20 years ago if this case wasn’t so high-profile and it didn’t turn into a political thing to prevent her release.

She did 54 years for doing a horrible thing as a teenager. She didn’t get off lightly.
She got off more lightly than her victims. The victims and their families received a life sentence. JMO

She got off more lightly than her victims. The victims and their families received a life sentence. JMO

This is just kind of a platitude that you could say about pretty much every single murderer (or manslaughterer, or whatever) in history. Of course she did. Every parolee does.

But in civilized society we allow for the fact that some violent criminals can be rehabilitated and re-integrated into society.

She would have been paroled 20 years ago if this case wasn’t so high-profile and it didn’t turn into a political thing to prevent her release.

She did 54 years for doing a horrible thing as a teenager. She didn’t get off lightly.
You do realize she went to murders both nights. She had most of a day to think about what had happened the first night... but was ready for the 2nd. Death penalty should equal Life without parole IMO.

But she knew exactly what had happened the night before. She missed out.
Yes she did, and that is what makes her participation in the LaBianca murders premeditated.

Unfortunately for "poor Leslie" she has now missed out on being the record holder as the longest held woman prisoner in United States history. Than honor falls to her partner in murder, Patricia Krenwinkel (currently at 52 years and 94 days -not including time in jail prior to conviction).

Check out the link below for some interesting information about long term prisoners - some of whom were subsequently paroled in their old age.

Unfortunately, Leslie was some how left off the list. Perhaps it can be corrected to include her.

LINK:

Will Patricia Krenwinkel be next to be turned loose by the state of California? She too was recommended for Parole by the parole board and she was also denied parole by Governor Newsome.

Susan Denise Atkins, , Patricia Krenwinkel and Leslie Van Houten,, laugh after receiving the death sentence for their part in the Tate-LaBianca...
Convicted murderers Susan Atkins, Patricia Krenwinkel (center), and Leslie Van Houghton laughing about their crimes and death sentences.

A California Supreme Court ruling reversed Gavin Newsome's decision to deny parole for Leslie Van Houghton. Could that ruling be a legal precedent for Krenwinkel's parole as well? After all, Newsome describes her as "a victim" in his decision.

--------------------------------
From a CNN article:

Krenwinkel, 74, was convicted of seven counts of first-degree murder in the August 1969 Manson family attacks that left seven people dead. Among the victims was pregnant actress Sharon Tate, who was married to director Roman Polanski, Folger Coffee heiress Abigail Folger and celebrity hairstylist Jay Sebring.

During the 1969 killing spree, Krenwinkel pursued and stabbed Folger 28 times, Krenwinkel said in court testimony.

Newsom said that despite her age at the time of the killings, her positive behavior in prison and current age, Krenwinkel remains unsuitable for parole.

“Ms. Krenwinkel was not only a victim of Mr. Manson’s abuse. She was also a significant contributor to the violence and tragedy that became the Manson Family’s legacy,” Newsom said in his parole reversal decision. “Beyond the brutal murders she committed, she played a leadership role in the cult, and an enforcer of Mr. Manson’s tyranny.”

The review cited her lack of insight into “the causative factors of her crime and her triggers for antisocial thinking” as reasons for denying her parole for a fifteenth time.

“While Ms. Krenwinkel has matured in prison and engaged in commendable rehabilitative efforts, her efforts have not sufficiently reduced her risk for future dangerousness,” the review said...

LINK:

No photo description available.

Still smirking after all these years. Wonder how her parole is working out.

The "eye for an eye" idea is certainly still prevalent. Not everyone has the same ethical ideal, though.

I don't see smirking.

But she knew exactly what had happened the night before. She missed out.
I didn't realize that. Do you have a source? TIA.

I think part of the reason LVH was granted parole was because she, more than the other two women, showed much more contrition and ownership of the crimes she committed. She was active in prison education, etc. And it's a fact that the recidivism rate for parolees who have committed murder are the least likely candidates to reoffend. (Of course that doesn't include serial killers). It's also true that recidivism for lesser crimes like theft or assault is the highest. I don't believe the death penalty is a deterrent, well for the deceased inmate, that's 100% deterrent.

People do change and LVH seems to be one of those people, but I can't help but think that an intelligent, introspective and rehabilitated individual who has shown contrition for their act should at least consider, intellectually, that remaining in prison for the rest of their lives is an equitable trade for the lives they took.

I also think that the American prison system seems more focused on retribution than rehabilitation that creates the revolving door of recidivism. And I believe that many times when a prisoner's parole has been revoked by a government official, like Newsom and his predecessors, it has more to do with covering their own asses than from an informed assessment.

In Canada, many people were up in arms when they found out that Correctional Services of Canada was moving Paul Bernardo to a medium security prison last year. They were out for blood, blaming Prime Minister Trudeau for the transfer when in fact, Corrections Canada is a stand alone organization that makes those decisions. Gee, can you imagine what would happen if a political figure had sway over who stays in prison, who gets put in prison and who gets released?

To everyone who feels it was acceptable that this murdering, manipulative psychopath got out on parole - I'm absolutely certain that you still wouldn't want her living next to you....or even in your neighborhood/area.

And, if you say you'd be OK with it - I definitely wouldn't believe you.

Last edited:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...
The killers were given the Death Penalty. Then CA did away with the DP. Well, okay. BUT how does someone who was initially given the DP get a chance for parole??? Damm.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...
The killers were given the Death Penalty. Then CA did away with the DP. Well, okay. BUT how does someone who was initially given the DP get a chance for parole??? Damm.

This is how:

At the time that Manson and his followers had their death sentences commuted, California did not have a life without parole sentence.

Usually when a death sentence is commuted it is commuted to LWOP. But when a State does not have LWOP then the harshest sentence that can be employed is Life With Parole.

California19761976 - Year LWOP was added to statute; 1978 - Year LWOP Sentencing went into effect

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back