Let's try to pick the perfect juror

Sorry, If this has been discussed (or maybe there is a thread on it) but, I haven't heard of anyone joining the defense team as a jury consultant. Most high profile cases have an expert in this field and I would think this close to trial we would have heard something. With the defense team being so--"confused" (I'm playing nice), I would think this is where they would want to put some time and resources.

QUOTE=Knot4u2no;6265938]I found this post I made in 2009 ... thought I would repost it:

I once was hired to represent the defense in jury selection in the penalty phase of a double murder trial. I developed a two factor 10-point scale (factor 1 Position for or against, and factor 2 Group influence/determination). Multiply the numbers and you have a 0 to 100 point rating. I paid minimal attention to the usual demographics, relying primarily on my estimation of both factors based on the prospective jurors’ general demeanor and responses to questions asked by the attorney. The process was much like a poker game, with each side having a limited number of strikes (eliminating a potential juror). We ended up with 11 of 12 jurors favorable to our position based on the selection scale (my recommendation was not followed for the other). When the verdict was in, 9 of the 11 voted against the death penalty.

IMO, Factor 2 is extremely important ... it only takes 1 or 2 determined jurors to change everything.

Russell[/QUOTE]

One thing I would like to see happen is that, if anyone here goes and is selected to sit in the audience, I would love to know the jurors' facial expressions during the tiral, for instance when Baez is trying to ask a question but can't quite get it out, or their expressions when looking at Casey.

The perfect juror (for the duh-fense) would be someone like my mom, I mean this half jokingly. She has seizures and doesn't always remember things. She knows I've followed this case since day 31 and she even watched NG a lot with me in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's her bad memory or just the fact my mom doesn't seem to believe a young mother would hurt her child but everytime Casey comes up it's the same discussion.

My mom: Maybe she didn't do it. Maybe one of the guys she was hanging with did something to the little girl.

Me: If that was the case, as a mother, why would you not report it right away.

My mom: Maybe they threatened her?

Me: But that wouldn't explain why she was out partying the whole time. That isn't a distraught mother.

My mom: Did they ever find Caylee? (for like the 100th time)

Me: Yea, they found her 6 months later right down the street from her house. (again, telling her this for like the 100th time..She'll forget again by next week)

My mom: yea, well maybe she did do it then.

Then we get into all the details, fake nanny, fake job, stealing, lying... By the end my mom is convinced Casey did it, without a doubt. However a few weeks pass and my mom forgets everything we talked about and the cycle begins all over again. I think the defense would love my mom as a juror, horrible memory and easily persuaded, lol.

*edited to clarify that my mom would be the perfect juror for the defense, not the prosecution.

Without going into the many reasons, I actually think it's possible Casey is not the killer. Would love to discuss the many reasons but it's too long to post. :) I actually typed out a lot of it but won't post, it's very long. I'm happy to discuss it though if there's the right place to do it lol.

In my opinion the perfect juror is just any clear thinking and logical person who is genuinely interested in truth and who really examines and considers all the evidence, even all the tedious lab reports etc, without being influenced by defense or prosecution spin. Of course the juror is limited to what evidence is presented, they won't have all the facts. If we're lucky they have enough of the facts to find the truth. In this case my main fear is that they won't have enough facts to reach the truth. I predict Casey will probably be convicted, will appeal and be convicted again, but that we will probably never know the truth, and she may not know what it is.

But of course the prosecution and defense have their own ideas of what the perfect juror is! :)

The perfect juror for defense: Someone who does not believe in the death penalty and who will not back down. Also, someone who will fall for any mental health or past abuse issues of Casey's and liable to show leniency and favor LWP.

The perfect juror for prosecution: Someone who has deal with a narcissist and who never forgets the victim or the premeditation involved. One who will see though and look past all the bs that has gone on around this case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back