Life for the West Memphis Three - Free After the Alford Plea

It is my understanding that, although the DNA testing has been completed, testing of the animal hairs found with the bodies and the fibers is still ongoing. However, there are other ways of exonerating them besides forensics. Additional witnesses could come forward or the real killer could confess.

With all due respect tezi, I don't see where it was asserted that EVERY or ALL state officials may be biased against Jesse. As I read it the point was that even if there are some, he might be better off moving where there are zero, given his limited ability to deal with getting in trouble and that it might be better to be uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings - outside of the comfort zone - than stay in a situation that could jeopardize a setback.

With all due respect tezi, I don't see where it was asserted that EVERY or ALL state officials may be biased against Jesse. As I read it the point was that even if there are some, he might be better off moving where there are zero, given his limited ability to deal with getting in trouble and that it might be better to be uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings - outside of the comfort zone - than stay in a situation that could jeopardize a setback.

True, ziggy, but did you read other posts about people from AR being basically stupid? See, we aren't....Not all of us anyway. And I know not ALL are against Jessie, his former attorney is NOW a judge, which officially makes him an official for the state.

For the record, I live here because of a promise I made to my husband. I promised him I would live here until his father passed on, then, we move either back home or further west. I'm not here by choice, I'm here because I love my husband. Although, my roots are originally from AR.

Jessie, IMO, won't leave AR for the same reason I won't at this point. Maybe, in the future after his father is gone, he will. But, he doesn't have the coping skills to make it anywhere but where he is familiar with, right?

IMO, JMO, and all other disclaimers.

Jessie, IMO, won't leave AR for the same reason I won't at this point. Maybe, in the future after his father is gone, he will. But, he doesn't have the coping skills to make it anywhere but where he is familiar with, right?

I think you're exactly right. Given his mental disability, he would be very uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings (which is why he didn't attend the rooftop party or go to New Zealand or the Netherlands). I, too, worry about Jessie being tempted by shall we say "less than friendly" people out to get him into trouble. However, he does have friends, like Stephanie Dollar and the man in whose home he and Suzie were living until "someone" told officials, and they will support him as well.

I hope that he's able to stay on track. I'm sure that Suzie will help him all she can. Ten years is a long time. Hopefully, he will continue to pursue his education (GED and auto mechanics from what I've read). If he could get his GED or auto mechanic training, IMO it would help him greatly.

The GQ article was long, true.

I liked the description "sizable minority" to put down the rest of us.

The Moore family demonstrated a great deal of suffering when they wrote to inform the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences why they didn't believe Paradise Lost 3 should be included in the documentary division of nominees. I believe that the families of those dead little boys have a huge amount of new pain and suffering and grief when those movies go on their publicity rounds. It is inevitable that they'll have to see the film footage or hear or read about the latest film no matter how they might try to avoid it.

Originally Posted by AngelontheRiver
I don't mean the producers. I mean sue the three for wrongful death like OJ was sued.

Hey, AngelontheRiver. (I'm from the tri-state area, too)
I read somewhere online (some debate about this very topic but where I do NOT remember) that the reason there could be no civil suit against Mr.(s) Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley is because the Arkansas statute of limitations ran out for civil suits on this case many years ago. That must be true or else I would think that those families would have done so. IMO

Originally Posted by Dysthymia I liked the description "sizable minority to put down the rest of us.

claudicici Quote: how is that a put down?

Would the supporters like to be tagged as a "sizable minority?"

I am very confused. Are you objecting to the term "minority"? That is not a negative term and it is not supposed to carry a negative connotation. It is used in calculating amount. Yes, some groups of people who are discriminated against are called "minorities" but use of the term in that way is not negative either. It means that there are less Asians, for example, in the population, than others. And, in context of race or religion, for example, those in the minority may be easier to discriminate against because they have less collective power than the majority.

But, even in that context, there is no inherent negativity to the word.

And, in the context of the article, it is not associated with an oppressed or discriminated against group. It is a simply mathematical term to state that, while not as large as supporters, there is a large group against the WMIII. That large group is, therefore, a "sizable minority".

It's a scientific or mathematical term, nothing else. Here are some examples of the terms mundane nature:

'Sizable minority' at risk, mortgage group warns

About 12 per cent of Canadian mortgage holders would be challenged if their rate went up by less than one percentage point, a report from the Canadian Association of Accredited Mortgage Professionals found Wednesday
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/11/09/caamp-mortgage-survey.html
Sizable Minority of Seniors Have Mild Cognitive Impairment

Between 10 percent and 20 percent of Americans older than age 65 have mild cognitive impairment, the New York Times reported in a September 6 article.
http://alert.psychiatricnews.org/2011/09/sizable-minority-of-seniors-have-mild.html

Minority Business Accelerator

Growing Minority Businesses

Mission

The mission of the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber’s Minority Business Accelerator is to accelerate the development of sizable minority business enterprises (MBEs) and to strengthen and expand the regional minority entrepreneurial community.
http://www.cincinnatiusa.org/econ_a.aspx?menu_id=198&id=7640

Hence, my confusion about your objection to the term. Maybe I'm missing something?

Are we allowed to discuss evidence here if it is on a site that we can't link?

Go to google and type in Blink's site West Memphis Three....... Prosecution has new evidence that links Damien & Jason to the murders.

Makes me sick......... and so sad..........

I think you're exactly right. Given his mental disability, he would be very uncomfortable in unfamiliar surroundings (which is why he didn't attend the rooftop party or go to New Zealand or the Netherlands). I, too, worry about Jessie being tempted by shall we say "less than friendly" people out to get him into trouble. However, he does have friends, like Stephanie Dollar and the man in whose home he and Suzie were living until "someone" told officials, and they will support him as well.

I hope that he's able to stay on track. I'm sure that Suzie will help him all she can. Ten years is a long time. Hopefully, he will continue to pursue his education (GED and auto mechanics from what I've read). If he could get his GED or auto mechanic training, IMO it would help him greatly.

Even without a mental disability, he would still be uncomfortable out of Arkansas.

Personally, I hope he can stay out of trouble too, but if I had to bet on it, I don't think he will. He's too easily led, mental disability notwithstanding. My husband and I were just discussing this today and his brother was exactly like Jessie (in fact, spent time with Jessie in ADC), and he was easily led and did NOT have a mental disability. And before anyone gets bent out of shape and tells me no that my BIL wasn't in ADC with Jessie, trust me I know what I'm talking about. And no, I'm not disclosing names....My BIL is now deceased and his mistakes were his and his alone, and he paid dearly for them. And in the end, he paid with his life. And no, he wasn't executed, he drowned on the outside.

JMO, IMO, and all other disclaimers.

Go to google and type in Blink's site West Memphis Three....... Prosecution has new evidence that links Damien & Jason to the murders.

What new evidence? An axe handle that they've had since 1993? That's new? No, iluvmua, it's not new and if you read the date of the post you would have known they've had it since 1993. It's been 3 months since that post was written, so PLEASE stop misleading people. If the axe handle had anything remotely to do with the murders it would have been presented, right??? After all, the prosecution threw everything they had at the jury, and it stuck, then....So, I find it hard to believe that they would NOT have introduced the axe handle if they even thought it was remotely connected.

There are tons of threads which discuss evidence, guilt or innocence. I created this one solely to discuss their lives post-release. I was and am very curious about what happens next and don't want to have to wade through debates to get there.

I'd be interested to read about new evidence, but just not here if you don't mind.

Just saw "West of Memphis." The poor woman who got sucked in by Damien (whose real name is Michael) Echols. He is a master manipulator who can spot people who he can pull into his orbit and manipulate into doing what he wants for him. She is a classic case. She gave up a lucrative architectural career and her entire life to help him get free. Boy, was she duped.

I shudder to think what happens to both of them when the publicity dies down.

Did you also see in West of Memphis the two prosecution witnesses who were manipulated by the prosecution? I wonder how they would have felt if the State had actually executed Damien based, at least in part, on their false testimony. I'm glad that they have recanted, but I would imagine that they still feel badly about the situation. How would any of you feel if your false statement had caused three men to go to prison for the better part of twenty years? Personally, I think I might be suicidal.

UPDATES ON WHAT THE WM3 ARE DOING:

ALL THREE:

What they were doing at the year anniversary of their release:
In the year that has passed, their paths have crossed mostly for media events or awards.

Jessie Misskelley, 37 — then a hard-partying teenager with a low I.Q. and a penchant for fighting whose shaky confession led to their conviction in 1994 — headed back to his old Arkansas neighborhood to be near his father. He became engaged to a woman with two children and started to study auto mechanics.

Mr. Baldwin, who taught classes to other inmates while he served a life sentence, is working toward a law degree in Seattle. He is deeply in love with Holly Ballard, a longtime supporter who wrote and visited him regularly. He, Mr. Misskelley and Ms. Ballard are listed as executive producers on “Devil’s Knot,” a feature film that was shot in the Atlanta area over the summer.

“Honestly, we all lived through this horrible time in our own way and got through it differently, so now I guess we all have a different way of healing,” said Jason Baldwin, 35, who went into prison a quiet, heavy metal-loving teenager ready to start a job as a grocery store bagger and came out — much to the amazement of most people who meet him — a sweet, optimistic and slightly goofy man who wants to help people who have been wrongly accused.

Damien Echols, the brooding, charismatic star of the trio and the one who spent nearly two decades confined for 23 hours a day in a small cinder-block box on death row, could barely walk when he got out. Inside, he became a Zen Buddhist and married Lorri Davis, a Manhattan landscape architect who became the driver behind the effort to free him.
He moved to New York and wrote “Life After Death,” a memoir that will be released in September. He got matching tattoos with his friend Johnny Depp and spent time with Eddie Vedder, the Pearl Jam frontman who was a lead supporter for his release. He also helped make a documentary, “West of Memphis,” with the New Zealand filmmakers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/18/u...ar-out-of-prison-navigate-new-paths.html?_r=0
ECHOLS:

What Echols has been up to in Salem:
He began to walk the moment he got to town, in the morning, at night, when he was anxious or bored or simply awake, through the rain and later the snow, when the city felt still and enchanted. Five months in, he still couldn’t believe he lived in Salem, the place he’d pined for ever since he was a kid obsessed with Halloween and falling leaves. He got a dog to walk with and named her Pumpkin. In his heavy black leather jacket and sunglasses, he wandered all around town, quietly but purposefully, like a ghost looking for something to haunt.

It’s hard to pinpoint when he lost his anonymity—when people started to notice, and talk—but very quickly he became part of Salem legend: Did you hear that Damien Echols moved to town? They whispered it, waiting to buy scratch tickets at 7-Eleven, in the locker room at the Y, over tea at Gulu-Gulu. Some in town were excited, fueled by stories in the local papers with headlines like “From Death Row to Witch City.” Of course, he had not expected to go entirely unnoticed. Not like he had in New York, where he’d first begun the walking as a way of burning through fear. In New York no one paid attention to anyone else, which meant he could walk the streets of Chinatown for hours and hours without interruption or incident, learning to reacclimate to humanity after 18 years in exile.

But in Salem, people took notice. They began coming up to him on the elliptical. Approaching him as he settled in with a pot of tea. Chronicling his every move. They were not always welcoming. At one point, someone etched a message into the side of a women’s bathroom stall in the East India Square Mall: “Murderers Walk Free.”
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2013/06/25/damien-echols-salem/
Articles about a recent talk Echols gave in Arkansas, including controversy surrounding his appearance at a university there:

http://ualrpublicradio.org/post/damien-echols-returns-arkansas-speak-uca

http://www.thv11.com/news/article/2...kansas-for-first-time-since-leaving-death-row
Parks also said Echols recalled being “very worried and stressed out,” and felt returning was a bad idea.
“Once he got back, he said it felt like Arkansas,” Parks said. “He said it was a calming and soothing experience and he felt better after he got here than in the days and weeks beforehand.”

“You would expect someone to be tortured by that and be sheltered as a result,” she said. “It seemed like that at first, but he opened up and was wonderful.”
I wish the articles would have been more realistic, I guess, on how nice, welcoming and open he is.
“He’s not terrifying and mean like you would expect someone who was charged with those crimes would be,” Parks said. “Even though he was released, even if a person was wrongly convicted, you would expect the typical person to be hardened and horrible.”
However, Echols was far from that, Parks said. http://thecabin.net/news/local/2013...pen-during-talk-uca-student-says#.UoVAdiczLTo
BALDWIN:

Jason Baldwin's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jason-Baldwin/145944238773717

He seems like a slightly nerdy kind of guy, who really loves life. There are repeated photos and references to Stevie, Chris and Michael, prominently displayed on his page, and repeated demands for justice for them and that no one forget them.

Jason Baldwin lives in Seattle, goes to school and works for a law firm. He plans to go to law school: http://www.thv11.com/news/article/263996/433/Jason-Baldwin-Life-20-Years-After-The-Murders
Since his release, Baldwin got a driver's license, a part-time job at a law firm and an apartment in Seattle, where he stayed at Vedder's house after he and Echols were whisked away last year. He's traveled to movie screenings and film festivals, met the actor playing him in "Devil's Knot," and celebrated Thanksgiving in Amsterdam atop a floating Chinese restaurant.
"I just wake up every day and I'm like, 'Wow,' " said Baldwin, who is taking classes and hopes to earn a law degree.http://www.pressherald.com/news/nat...uild-their-lives_2012-08-18.html?pagenum=full
Baldwin wears a yellow American Eagle beanie, covering a receding hairline that starkly contrasts early photos of his 16-year-old self with a long, curly blond mullet (a hairstyle he swears he'll never go back to). He speaks in a Southern drawl, thick as tar, and most of his words are exultant, as though he hasn't yet gotten over the thrill of his new boundless world. Last night he and Ballard—who met in 2008, four years after she, an Arkansas native, began writing letters to him in prison—went to see Star Wars: Episode 1 in 3D. "I've seen Episode 1, but I saw it in prison and we just had this little bitty TV, and you watch it from a distance . . . So to see it on a giant screen is amazing!"

The influx of technology and media in 2012 is something of a culture shock compared to rural Arkansas in the early '90s, but Baldwin's taking it all in with characteristic zest. He says he partially knew what to expect from reading tech-savvy novels like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo; he became an avid reader in prison. "I'm reading A Song of Ice and Fire, which is what HBO's Game of Thrones is based on. It's good. But it's not as good as The Sword of Truth. That's a different series. I've read it nine times. It's a beautiful story, it's a fantasy story, but what it is, is really a treatise on reason." As for television, he loves Game of Thrones and AMC's The Walking Dead: "What's not to like? Zombies and apocalypse!"

He displays his screen, pointing at it like he's an Apple salesman. "The cool thing about my iPhone is that it's got this cool app called Shazam, so I'll be listening to KEXP or 107.7 and I'll hear a song that I like and Shazam it." His favorite new discoveries are Young the Giant and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. "I go on YouTube and watch all the YouTube videos. They're freaking awesome."
For the first time in his life, Baldwin is living on his own. He just rented his very first apartment, a one-bedroom with a balcony. "I'm gonna get me some things to grow tomatoes, peppers, onions, herbs, bay leaves," he says. http://www.seattleweekly.com/2012-03-21/news/jason-baldwin-way-west-of-memphis/
(Lots more at link).

Baldwin started a non-profit dedicated to helping the wrongfully convicted:
Jason Baldwin, whose freedom from the 17-year prison term he served as one of the West Memphis Three was brought about by public scrutiny and press about the case, has joined with a Little Rock man to create "Proclaim Justice," a nonprofit that will seek to shine new light on old cases where the defendant might have been wrongfully convicted.
Baldwin and John Hardin launched the new group, which is funded through private donations, during Baldwin's mid-December trip to Little Rock. They've created a website, proclaimjustice.org, on which is posted their mission and cases they've chosen to spotlight so far: That of Arkansas Death Row inmate Tim Howard and the case of Daniel Risher, who was convicted of helping murder his girlfriend's mother in Magnolia in 1991.
On his Facebook page on Jan. 14, Jason Baldwin wrote that though injustice can never be eradicated, "we are not helpless." Calling Proclaim Justice "a calling to help others as I have been helped," Baldwin wrote: "With Proclaim Justice and the dedicated, knowledgeable, hard-working core of people who make up the heart of this organization, I believe we can make a very real difference in the lives of the condemned innocent, their families and communities, and the countless others who are affected when innocence seems lost."http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/ja...n-to-wrongful-convictions/Content?oid=2638129
MISSKELLEY:

Jessie Misskelley stayed in Arkansas and lives out of the spotlight. He is no longer with his girlfriend: http://www.wmctv.com/story/20122598/jessie-misskelley-lives-life-out-of-the-spotlight

I'd add one more thing about Jessie. He was planning on taking auto mechanic classes at the local community college. I don't know for sure if he followed through with this goal, however. His father is quite ill, and Jessie is helping him.

Jason Baldwin and his gf got engaged a few days ago.

Can anyone confirm the rumor that Damien has moved away from Salem and is now living in Boston, MA? I can't seem to find anything online, but I did hear the rumor that this move was made. TIA

Jason Baldwin still remembers details from the day he left prison after serving an 18-year sentence for a crime he says he didn't commit.
Baldwin, who was freed in August 2011 after being convicted of murdering three young boys, told CTV's Canada AM that as he walked down the prison hallways to leave, inmates and staff clapped and cried "tears of joy" for him.
"They knew I was innocent. They knew I deserved to be home," said Baldwin, a spokesperson for the wrongfully committed and one of the members of the infamous "West Memphis Three."

http://canadaam.ctvnews.ca/mobile/w...ade-a-life-in-prison-before-release-1.1555324

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow PF, I thank you as that short interview is full of examples of Baldwin lying, the part starting starting at 3:55 were he's asked about the Alford plea deal and claims it was "the only opportunity the state gave to save an innocent man's life" being particularly relevant to this thread, and it's rather serendipitous for you to post the interview just a few hours after UdbCrzy noted [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10010386#post10010386"]over in this thread[/ame] that it was in fact Baldwin and his fellow murderers who offered to plead guilty rather than face the evidence which proves as much at trial. That said, it was thoroughly disgusting to watch Baldwin drone on about what a beloved boy he was in prison and proclaim "I'm just sharing my story and sharing hope" and waxing eloquently about justice between spouting his lies. That said, he obviously struggles with lying far more than Echols does, and couldn't even bring himself to name the parents who he hasn't duped.

Wasn't that one of Echol's main issues with Jason, that he adapted well to prison?

Yeah, here's an article about it which notes in part:

An Aug. 17 story in the New York Times on the one-year anniversary of the men’s release said that Baldwin and Echols aren't speaking because of the way Baldwin — who said in a press conference just after his release that he agreed to the plea to save Echols’ life — is portrayed in Echols' book. If so, it's probably got a lot to do with passages like this:

"Over the years, Jason had grown to love prison," Echols writes. "His circumstances were not the same as mine. He had a job, he had befriended the guards and was actually looking forward to the next year in prison school. Jason had also said previously that he wasn't willing to concede anything to the prosecutors."

Another passage: "[Baldwin] also realized he was going to be left behind if he didn't come along with us on the deal. My own case had garnered much of the WM3 publicity, and if we managed to be freed without him, there would be very little interest left in his case. The funds were nearly gone as it was."

Of course they're still suckering people out of money as much as ever, even after pleading guilty, including on his own Baldwin with his recent Kickstarter. Granted, it's hardly surprising to see Echols was pretending like the well was running dry and imagining the interest in the case was all about him.

Yeah, here's an article about it which notes in part:

Of course they're still suckering people out of money as much as ever, even after pleading guilty, including on his own Baldwin with his recent Kickstarter, but it's hardly surprising to see Echols was pretending like the well was running dry, or imagining it was all about him.

What is the bet this was the pressure exerted on Jason to go along with the deal, the threat of no financial help whatsoever going forward. Either you come along with it or we leave you high and dry with no defence funds either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back