Lyons Sisters Q & A

As I have said before, I just don't know if Mr. Mann spoke with police in 1975, or at any time after that. I am pretty certain that he was never interviewed by any press reporters until 2005 when his story was reported on the 30th anniversary of the girls' disappearance.

As you point out, he would be the only adult witness to have seen the girls that afternoon, since all other known witnesses were young teens.

If there is any kind of record of Mr. Mann making a statement in 1975, it would be a very strong piece of evidence. Unfortunately, if there is no such record, then investigators are left with a story based on 30 year old memories.

Richard,
It seems strange , if he did indeed tell LE , that he was never mentioned in any news reports. Yet minor children's accounts ( the boys who say they saw the sisters ) were mentioned in news accounts. That seems odd...

And if Mr. Mann never said anything at the time, why didn't he ? Wonder if he knew the girls by sight ? Or if they knew him enough to say hi to ? Wonder if he lived alone at that time ? JMO.

All very good questions.

Regarding media interviews of children: There was a wide array of circumstances involved. Some children were approached by reporters and questioned at random, while other children may have made contact with the press first and the police second. Most of these interviews were of the "human interest" sort of story, like how concerned and apprehensive kids were becoming, or how they felt sorry for the Lyon family, etc.

One boy, age 12, was actually named early on by a newspaper and he stated that he saw the girls that day on their way to the mall. I believe that police may have subsequently interviewed the boy, but publically expressed doubt in his story.

In all cases where the police interviewed a child first, they consistantly refused to release the child's name to reporters, but often did summarize the child's testimony. In one case, they identified a boy by the fake name of "Jimmy". This was the boy who first came forward with the story about the Tape Recorder Man.

When "Jimmy's" story became front page news, his parents agreed to let him be interviewed on Television and by a Washington Star Reporter. His real name was not used, and he never gave any follow-on interviews to my knowledge. The full text of that Washington Star story is posted in the section on News and media stories.

Another Washington Star reporter named some adult witnesses in a story; One, a retired seamstress, saw and recognized Sheila and Katherine soon after they arrived at the mall. Another witness, a male sales clerk aged 18, saw them moments later in an adjacent store. These two witnesses helped to establish a good approximate time of arrival of the girls that day, but neither was ever mentioned by police in their press briefings - so it is possible that only the reporter and NOT the police interviewed them. I have also posted the full text of that story in the section on News Stories.

I am wondering about "Jimmy".....he seems to be the star witness regarding TRM. I understand that Coffey didn't come up until later but it seems logical to show a photo of Coffey to the person who claims to have seen TRM talking to the girls. I realize that people change over the years but if LE really thought Coffey was their man...they could get their hands on a photo of him from the 1970's to show to Jimmy. Thoughts anyone?

I am wondering about "Jimmy".....he seems to be the star witness regarding TRM. I understand that Coffey didn't come up until later but it seems logical to show a photo of Coffey to the person who claims to have seen TRM talking to the girls. I realize that people change over the years but if LE really thought Coffey was their man...they could get their hands on a photo of him from the 1970's to show to Jimmy. Thoughts anyone?

Actually, the Montgomery County Police do have a photo of Fred Coffey taken in April 1975 when he started working for Vitro Laboratories. It was the photo for his ID badge. And I know that they showed that photo to another person who saw a tape recorder man on an earlier date than "Jimmy"s" sighting.

Coffey became a person of interest in this case in early 1987 after being convicted of multiple child molestations and while on trial for the murder of 10-year-old Amanda Ray. It was about that time that MCP obtained the photo from Vitro and began investigating him. I do NOT know if they contacted "Jimmy" again at that time or at any time after.

I agree with you. MCP investigators should make contact with "Jimmy" and with all of the other witnesses to question them again and to show them photos - not only of Coffey, but also of any other persons of interest mentioned in these threads or considered possible suspects by police over the years.

In many recent cases when children go missing, the parents are looked at extensively. Is it known whether or not either or both parents were looked at as possible suspects?

Richard....I'm confused about where the woods were and understand that homes have been built since 1975 in that area. You had said-

"There are a few small residential roads on the right and left from Drumm, but soon it intersects with McComas. At this point, the girls usually turned left on McComas and then right into a wooded area with a foot path. The foot path came out on Jennings. The girls would then continue west on Jennings until they came to their home on the corner of Jennings and Plyers Mill Road. The footpath was, of course, inaccessable to vehicle traffic."

The girls would turn left on McComas and then walk how far before turning right into woods? Once on McComas....would they make an immediate right or walk past the nursing home and then turn right into the woods? I've been looking at the map and see that I've been wrong about the woods.

The entrance to the path through the wooded area was very close to the corner of Drumm and McComas. The girls would have turned left and then an immediate "half right" on to the path.

They would NOT have passed the Nursing Home before entering the path, which ran between the Nursing home and the homes on Drumm.

Jennings and Drumm were a short block apart and roughly parallel to each other near Plyers Mill Road. The path through the wood was a "short cut" which ran diagonally through the undeveloped wooded area to a place on Jennings Road near the girls' home.

Today, there are more homes and yards where the woods used to be, and there is a fence around the nursing home yard by the corner of Drumm and McComas, so there is no longer any access to where they would have entered.

There is also a pond in the Nursing Home yard which was there in 1975 and which was thoroughly searched by police looking for the girls. Today, that pond is larger and covers over some of the origional path and woods.

A vehicle could not have driven down the path, so it is more likely that any abduction (involving a motor vehicle) would probably have taken place before the girls entered the path area. A very likely place for such an abduction would have been at or near the intersection of Drumm and McComas.

It is, of course, also possible that the girls could have simply continued on Drumm all the way to Plyers Mill Road, then turned left and walked to their house. In that case, an abductor in a vehicle could have followed them a little further on Drumm, but Drumm Ave was (and still is) blocked off (to vehicle traffic) midway between McComas and Plyers Mill roads. Again, an abductor wanting to set up an ambush at a choke point would have picked the intersection of Drumm and McComas.

Does any know if the nursing home parking lot has changed any since 1975? Not the pond...but have they added to the actual parking lot or is the layout the same today as it was back then?

Perhaps this aerial USGS photo taken March 26, 1972, about three years before the disappearance, can give you a better idea of what the area looked like. Unfortunately, the resolution is not the greatest, but it was the best period photo I could find when I searched the web in the spring of last year.

Plyers Mill Road goes lengthwise along the base of the photo. The large street that bounds Wheaton Plaza on the northwest is University Boulevard. The large street that bounds Wheaton Plaza on the northeast is Viers Mill Rd. The large north-south street on the right of the photo that Viers Mill Rd. comes out of is Georgia Ave. You can see the pond in the middle lower left of the picture near the intersection of Drumm Ave. and McComas Ave, with the nursing home nearby. The resolution appears too poor for mere walking paths to be visible.

Photo courtesy of the U.S. Geological Survey

Attachments

• Kensington_WheatonUSGS_3-26-1972.jpg
    Kensington_WheatonUSGS_3-26-1972.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 51
1972 Aerial Photo...

Thank you for posting the link to that photo.

Looking at the shopping center, you can see the large (almost) square building on the left, which was Wards. On the far right is the other "end store", Woodward and Lothrup (aka Woodies).

Between the two end stores are four equal size sections of shops, separated by walking areas. The intersection of those walking areas is easily seen. It was known as "Mall Center" which is where there was a fountain, and was the place where the Easter Bunny display was located.

The girls were seen by various eyewitnesses in the walking area between Wards and the Mall Center.

Back in 1975, this was an open air mall, meaning that all of the walk areas were exposed to the weather and entrance to the various stores was from outside to inside.

The small looking dark square just north of Wards was the movie theater.

Just wondering....has anyone considered that the girls may have gone to Wheaton Triangle Bowling Alley? Mary was bowling while the girls were at the mall....I'm assuming she was bowling at this bowling alley as it was near their home and the mall. Mary was home by 3:30. Maybe the girls decided to head over to the bowling alley and ride home with their mom? Mary said that she first thought they may have gone to a movie or a friend's house....maybe they decided to stop by and watch their mom bowl then ride home with her but never made it?

I am looking for articles/links published in the 1970's? Can anyone help me?

There is a thread in this forum with news articles. They are not all from the 70's though. Richard may be able to help you with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are websites which specialize in old news articles and also various news services or newspapers have on-line versions of their articles.

Unfortunately, except for PDF type photo files, most digital versions of news only go back to the 1990's.

Most of the articles which I have posted here from the 1970's are ones which I have personally typed into my computer from old newspapers or from microfilm copies of those newspapers.

Microfilm files are found in various libraries around the country, but you have a better chance of finding the more local type newspaper holdings in the state where they are published. Some papers like the New York Times, or Washington Post might be found nationwide, but papers like the Detroit News, Saint Louis Dispatch, etc would be more likely found in their respective states in research libraries.

In the case of the Lyon Sisters (March 1975 on), except for some random papers nationwide which picked up UPI or AP feed articles, most of the coverage was local to the Washington DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia area. Best coverage was by the Washington Post and the now defunct Washington Star. The Washington Post does have articles back to the 1990's available on-line through subscription. the Washington Star went out of business in the early 1980's before on-line articles, but you can still see all newspapers on microfilm.

Microfilm copies can be obtained through interlibrary loan if your library does not have a collection of the newspapers you want to research.

Important FYI:
Does anyone else know if the Grand Jury is still going on in Bedford County, Virginia?

When as Grand Jury is seated, it considers a number of different cases over a set period of time. I don't know any specifics with this one, but did the reporter mean that the Jury would be in session till year end, or was it meant that the county would be presenting evidence specifically on this case until the end of the year?

When as Grand Jury is seated, it considers a number of different cases over a set period of time. I don't know any specifics with this one, but did the reporter mean that the Jury would be in session till year end, or was it meant that the county would be presenting evidence specifically on this case until the end of the year?

Thanks for that info Richard. If you click on the link in a post below, it gives the impression that Randy Krantz told Angela Hatcher that they have 2 appointments scheduled, one in November and one in December.

Would that explain even MORE about WHY Investigators from BOTH Virginia and Maryland have gone back to Maryland to search through those three boxes of information and find additional witnesses?

In view of what has come out recently in the Washington Post, does anyone suspect that LE will most likely need to conduct a Press Briefing, which will hopefully be televised?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back