MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

Very little chance that someone who went missing as long ago as Abbie did would wash up as anything resembling a "body." A person in the water that whole time, and if not contained in any type of vessel etc. would be disarticulated bones at best, but likely nothing left at all or just fragments of bones. JMO

Very little chance that someone who went missing as long ago as Abbie did would wash up as anything resembling a "body." A person in the water that whole time, and if not contained in any type of vessel etc. would be disarticulated bones at best, but likely nothing left at all or just fragments of bones. JMO
Yeah I think that's consistent with what I've read though it would be nice to have some closure for Abbie and her family.

1/26/2023 — A body has been found washed up on a Marblehead beach. Authorities are working to make an identification. A woman walking her dog made the discovery. The body appeared to have been in the water for a “significant” amount of time. No further information at this time 1/27/2023.
Yeah I heard this story on the way to work this morning and my mind immediately went to Abbie. Article below says they found a scarf which I think would have been long ago washed away if this was Abbie.
The body has been identified as Michael Gray from Peabody.

Body found in Marblehead identified as missing Peabody man - Itemlive

Just stumbled upon this thread, ironically, while watching the Super Bowl. I live locally and would be interested to know about two things. What was the weather like that afternoon, including the time of sunset, and what were the tides, incoming or outgoing?

Just stumbled upon this thread, ironically, while watching the Super Bowl. I live locally and would be interested to know about two things. What was the weather like that afternoon, including the time of sunset, and what were the tides, incoming or outgoing?
Another local said it was cold but apparently it was good enough weather that Abbie told her son over the phone she might go for a walk. It was also good enough for LE to search for her by air, water, and land.

There's a tide chart on page 2 of the thread. High tide in Gloucester at 5:23PM.

The temperature was about 44° from 3-6pm and then fell to 41°. Civil Twilight at 5:41pm.

Hope your team is doing well. :)

Another local said it was cold but apparently it was good enough weather that Abbie told her son over the phone she might go for a walk. It was also good enough for LE to search for her by air, water, and land.

There's a tide chart on page 2 of the thread. High tide in Gloucester at 5:23PM.

The temperature was about 44° from 3-6pm and then fell to 41°. Civil Twilight at 5:41pm.

@PommyMommy is right. I'm local and remember the day. Iirc, it had been a cold winter, and for a few hours on that Sunday, it felt like "hey, it's not bad out, I should get out and walk". And that's what Abbie did :(

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I looked up the weather, but was unable to find the tide info.. should've known it was further back in the thread.

Looking at the area she was walking, it seems there’s a long history of surges with strong undercurrents ripping people out to sea and killing them. If you search Brace Cove you will find at least three known deaths right away, two of people walking and a third of a fisherman on the rocks. Emergency services were alerted/mobilized very quickly for these and these people still perished. If Abbie was wearing boots it stands to reason that she may have walked in the surf a bit. It’s sad, but knowing how dangerous the cove is, perhaps that’s the explanation that makes the most sense. I’ve attached current data from the relevant date for the nearest buoy I can find. There has to be a buoy system closer to Gloucester. From what I know, something like 2.5 m/s represents dangerous pull, but I don’t know much about currents, safety.

Attachments

• C47CF041-3288-4753-8757-BD640B247FD4.png
    C47CF041-3288-4753-8757-BD640B247FD4.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 9
Do they have a thread here?
Yes. Her name is Sandra Crispo.
However, I slightly mis-remembered in that she didn't disappear before a Superbowl party, but she had prepared food and left it on the counter, I think for her grandchildren coming over to visit. She left her house that evening, she didn't have a car, maybe went for a walk and has never been seen again.

There are similarities between the two cases:

- Both are in Massachusetts

- The case were 6 months apart Aug 2019 for Sandra and Feb 2020 for Abbie.

- Both missing ladies are similar ages. Sandra was 54, Abbie was 59.

- Both women lived alone. Abbie's husband stayed back in Texas with his job, Sandra and her husband were divorced for 15 years.

Last edited:
However, I slightly mis-remembered in that she didn't disappear before a Superbowl party, but she had prepared food and left it on the counter, I think for her grandchildren coming over to visit. Then she went for a walk and has never been seen again.
That was also in Massachusetts!

Well, that is a coincidence!

Interesting!

JMVHO.

However, I slightly mis-remembered in that she didn't disappear before a Superbowl party, but she had prepared food and left it on the counter, I think for her grandchildren coming over to visit. She left her house that evening, she didn't have a car, maybe went for a walk and has never been seen again.

There are similarities between the two cases:

- Both are in Massachusetts

- The case were 6 months apart Aug 2019 for Sandra and Feb 2020 for Abbie.

- Both missing ladies are similar ages. Sandra was 54, Abbie was 59.

- Both women lived alone. Abbie's husband stayed back in Texas with his job, Sandra and her husband were divorced for 15 years.
Oh, I forgot about Sandra.
Thank you for the reminder that she not be forgotten!
I had read her thread when it happened, see her name on the thread all the time.
I will reread her story and look for updates from now on.

NOV 3, 2023
NBC News - 10 YEARS OF MISSING IN AMERICA
[...]

Authorities conducted an extensive search of the area with the assistance of the Gloucester Fire Department, U.S. Coast Guard Station Gloucester, Mass State Police, Mass Environmental Police, Gloucester Harbormaster, Rockport Harbormaster and the North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council. The search covered many paths and wooded areas where Abbie might have walked, along with a search of the coastline. In November 2023, the Gloucester Police Department told Dateline that Abbie is still missing and that there is no new information to share on her case.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back