MA MA - ALBERT DESALVO, The Boston Strangler, 1960's

The majority of the murders occurred in the first 6 months with the remainder strung out over the next 13 months.

All the victims in the first 6 week flurry were in the over 55 age group.

DeSalvo was in the military police at one time. Whether that would have been much help in evading detection is up for debate.

The last unsolved killing in the case was the murder of Albert DeSalvo himself in 1973.

I can't find a definite DeSalvo related crime time-line but the best I can estimate at this moment:

Late 1960-Early 1961: The Measuring Man Assaults (DeSalvo)
Mid 1962-Early 1964: The Boston Strangler Murders (DeSalvo?)
Mid 1962-Late 1964: The Green Man Rapes (DeSalvo)

So the Green Man crimes ran roughly simultaneously with the Strangler murders and even beyond them some. That begs the question, why would a serial killer deescalate or why kill some women but not others? It would seem to argue against DeSalvo as the murderer in my view at least.

I can't find a definite DeSalvo related crime time-line but the best I can estimate at this moment:

Late 1960-Early 1961: The Measuring Man Assaults (DeSalvo)
Mid 1962-Early 1964: The Boston Strangler Murders (DeSalvo?)
Mid 1962-Late 1964: The Green Man Rapes (DeSalvo)

So the Green Man crimes ran roughly simultaneously with the Strangler murders and even beyond them some. That begs the question, why would a serial killer deescalate or why kill some women but not others? It would seem to argue against DeSalvo as the murderer in my view at least.

They don't usually deescalate, which would lead me to believe it wasn't the same person.

Yes, they may slow their pace but, if anything, the murders usually become more brutal just like a junkie needing more heroin to get the same high.

We know for a fact that the last person killed in the second set of stranglings, Mary Sullivan, had someone's DNA on her and it was NOT Albert DeSalvo's. That doesn't necessarily mean the other stranglings weren't the work of DeSalvo, but I think given the other evidence there's a good chance he's not the real killer. In fact, I'd be surprised if this was the work of one person.

Here's a clip from Unsolved Mysteries explaining the DNA results of Mary Sullivan's exhumation:

http://youtu.be/kKCK79LJtQ4

It's next to certain that DeSalvo did not kill Sullivan.

and I don't know of anyone pushing that theory.

One theory is that DeSalvo was actually killed by the real Strangler.

We are now at the 50th anniversary of Sophie Clark's murder.

The best book I've read about the stranglings is "The Boston Stranglers - by Susan Kelly.

It really goes into detail about the crime scenes. I didn't know several of the women were stabbed.

One victim, Patricia Bissette (not sure of correct spelling) was pregnant, was in her bed and covered with her blankets, not displayed. I believe she was having an affair with her boss and was supposed to testify in some kind of trial.

I read this book when it first came out so am a little vague on some of the details, but was very surprised that this was even considered a Strangler victim. Sounded more as if it was someone close to her.

The author believes there were several different killers, and the police were looking at different people until they all got lumped together under "The Boston Strangler.

It will be 50 years ago Monday, on the 31st, that Patricia Bissette was found strangled.

If Patricia Bissette was a Boston Strangler victim then he took another hiatus for nearly 10 weeks.

Of the five remaining Strangler victims (1963-64), 3 were in the 19-23 age group and the others were women 58 and 69.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back