MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

Karen Read has been charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter and leaving the scene of a collision in the January 2022 death of her off-duty Boston Police Officer boyfriend John O'Keefe outside a Canton, Mass., home.

She's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leading up to his death, the couple of two years reportedly spent the night drinking and bar hopping with friends before Read, 43, dropped O'Keefe, 46, off at the home of a fellow off-duty police officer for an after-party, PEOPLE previously reported.

Prosecutors say as O'Keefe exited the vehicle, Read allegedly proceeded to make a three-point turn during a winter storm, striking her boyfriend in the process before driving off.

After O'Keefe failed to return home hours later, Read allegedly went looking for him, before finding his body in a snowbank outside the home where she allegedly left him.

Karen-Read-and-John-OKeefe-8c0b529e6823492aaf409a1c96c15ccc.jpg

john-okeefe-police-officer-dd6a844c30fa4341b2dba22774525391.jpg

Thread #1

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wondering if this is the sort of case that should have been moved to a different county for trial. While I'm not certain yet that this judge is being intentionally biased she does appear to be incredibly uncomfortable with the accusations being made by the defense against emergency response workers in her country.

@TedDanielnews

Good Morning from Norfolk Superior for day 5 of testimony in the Karen Read trial. -I would expect the Commonwealth to call more 1st responders today. Canton Police Detective Michael Lank has yet to testify. -We may also hear from people who were at CF McCarthy’s and Waterfall Bar and Grille in Canton. -The defense team arrived a little after 8a. I assume prosecution is also in the building but haven’t seen them yet.

1715001890820.png

We’re underway with/out jury. Yannetti says since FF Katie McLaughlin testified he’s received a deluge of pictures and info that he says shows her with Caitlin Albert. Yannetti says FF McLaughlin “perjured herself”

Judge Cannone says she will take up Yannetti's concerns about the testimony of FF McLaughlin either today or tomorrow.

ADA Lally calls Canton Police Lt. Paul Gallagher. He says he's been an officer for 32 years

Day 5 of testimony in the #KarenRead trial. I’m in the courtroom.Follow this for posts on what I see & hear. Watch the trial live on our digital platform at @NBC10Boston or on on @NECN or YouTube

Catch up on last week’s #KarenRead news here:

The defense team & #KarenRead have entered the courtroom. About 10 of her friends & family are in the spectator benches behind the defense desk. Unlike Friday, a little bit of pink has returned to the supporters’ wardrobe. Just a couple of ties, though. No where near prior days

We expect to hear from more first responders today. The prosecution has not entered the courtroom yet, nor have friends, family of John O’Keefe.

Family & friends of Joh OKeefe have entered the courtroom. 1/2 of the prosecution team is in the courtroom.

The zoom room has been launched. While we wait, #KarenRead & counsel have been reviewing the case files.

Prosecution is in the courtroom. Reminder, this is a tiny courtroom. The 10 journalists in the media area have to be herded to allow a direct egress for the judge. We are in our positions & waiting for the judge.

Court is closed in session. Good mornings & introductions. Yannetti is asking to be heard before testimony. Y says they have received a deluge of photos of Katie McLaughlin with Caitlin Albert together, 2021 including a photo of the 2. Y: clear she perjured herself.

Y: wants to address the admissibility, Rule 14 issue. Caitlin Albert is scheduled to testify mid-week. Judge says they will deal with it. Asking ADA Lally & defense how long it will take. Both sides agree about an hour. Jury is being brought in.

Side note: if you’re wondering why some reporters & outlets aren’t forwarding the actual pictures that have been on social this weekend, it’s due to legal liability. We can’t broadcast or publish a photo without permission of the person who took the photo,

…and, the people in the photo would need to be confirmed. If the photos are entered as evidence, then they can be published. Obviously bloggers are less concerned about the ramifications.

Sidebar. A juror has been taken out of the jury box and has entered the sidebar conversation.

There’s some laughter. Juror has stepped out of the group while counsel & judge discuss. Juror is back in the sidebar.

Juror out of sidebar, standing waiting. Court officer called to sidebar convo. He leaves. Juror called back in. The juror is returning to their seat in the jury box. Counsel returning to desk.

First witness called. Lieutenant Paul Gallagher, Canton Police Department. ADA Lally establishing work history, qualifications, duties & responsibilities.

Most jurors are taking notes. Gallagher arrived at the scene about 7a. OKeefe was no longer on scene when her arrived. He received an update on the situation, discussed evidence collection. It was windy.

He testifies there was 4” of snow. It was a in unique scene, due to the weather. Lally asking about the protocol for an unidentified death. OKeefe was still alive at this point. No state police responded at this time. They decided how to process scene.

Decided to process scene with a leaf blower. He moved vehicles. Crime scene tape was blowing “wildly” about. Fire hydrant, tree, flagpole was used to secure tape. Why was a leaf blower used? I had never processed a scene in the snow. I had seen it used before, it was available.

Details what area was shoveled. Lally showing Gallagher exhibits.Gallagher is reviewing. All jurors are looking at the witness. Prosecution asks for a sidebar.

Counsel returns, only to get called back for a sidebar.

Working on some technical issues, seems the digital clock wasn’t on. Prosecution removing some photos from the exhibit book, handing them to the court recorder.

@SueNBCBoston

#CourtTV's @VinniePolitan walks through the crime scene where John O'Keefe's body was found and questions if #KarenRead allegedly struck him on purpose.

2 minute video - interesting perspective by VP- moo

Deep Dive: Vinnie Politan Walks Through Crime Scene In Karen Read Case​

Court TV's Vinnie Politan walks through the crime scene where John O'Keefe's body was found and questions if Karen Read allegedly struck him on purpose. (5/3/24) MORE

#KarenRead & Yannetti and quietly conferring.I think we’re just waiting on the administrative work around the exhibits.

And the digital clock is not cooperating.Lally resumes questioning.Photos being displayed on screen.Exhibit 30 - 34 Fairview Road, looking West toward Chapman St.Lally gives Gallagher the laser pointer.Confirming number on mailbox.Two vehicles in driveway.

Exhibit 28 - shows third car in driveway.Exhibit 29 - shows same thing.Exhibit 31 - close up of where OKeefe was found, with pink blotting that could be blood & an item.Exhibit 23 - scene was trampled

Gallagher says the item was a clear glass.Continues to confirm photo exhibits.I imagine the photos of the scene have added value to the jurors after their visit to the scene on Friday.
https://twitter.com/SueNBCBoston/status/1787480540007788619

I am confused about how Karen Read got to the Albert's house the next morning:
  • At 4:53 AM Karen Read called Jen McCabe from John’s niece’s cell phone, frantically looking for him.
  • Karen Read drove to Jen’s house at 5 AM, bumping into John’s car and breaking her tail light as she left the house.
  • Jen McCabe drove Karen’s car back to John’s house (because Karen was too hysterical to drive) where they met up with Kerry Roberts.
  • Jen and Karen parked Karen’s car inside John’s garage and got into Kerry Robert’s car.
  • Kerry Roberts eventually drove them to Fairview Road where Karen, and Karen alone, saw John’s body lying feet from the curb in less than 2 inches of snow.
Who said KR was too hysterical to drive? Was that how she really felt or did JM convince her of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000