MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever, you call them... the whole crime scene == contaminated! moo
C'mon. This isn't CSI Miami.

Processing an outdoor murder scenes in the snow and dark probably isn't a strength of the pd in a town that averages a murder or two every decade.

The evidence cup being plastic doesn't mean the drunk driving wife didn't kill her husband. Let's not get silly.

I guess it only takes one juror - but I'd think there is a point where this level of scrutiny almost makes the defense look weaker.

This whole line of questioning by defense is so tedious. My goodness! This is why this trial will take 6-8 weeks so defense can nit-pick every darn thing. Evidence collection containers: glass or plastic? Sterile swabs are in what type of container? Could anybody sneeze over the cup? Blah blah blah. Ugh!

JMO
The prosecution has created a lot of questions that need to be answered.
Integrity in evidence collection/preservation is a huge issue.

I'm still lagging behind the live trial this morning. How did these clowns collect evidence if they have no evidence recovery equipment? Did they just grab a Tactical Used Starbucks Cuptm and scoop up 3 liters of blood with their bare hands?

Processing an outdoor murder scenes in the snow and dark probably isn't a strength of the pd in a town that averages a murder or two every decade.

The evidence cup being plastic doesn't mean the drunk driving wife didn't kill her husband. Let's not get silly.

I guess it only takes one juror - but I'd think there is a point where this level of scrutiny almost makes the defense look weaker.
I have no problem with defense pointing out shoddy investigation but when you nitpick a witness to death it makes you look bad. People were laughing at the defense atty. Pick a few key points/issues with each witness and move on. Otherwise you lose all the punch. This is just bad lawyering. Aside from the ridiculous conspiracy theory. JMO

I disagree. Even if you think Karen's guilty, the quality of this investigation is really sub-par. They don't document the evidence they pick up. They don't record their interviews. They don't even write down the names of the people they are talking to. None of this stuff is high-tech investigative techniques. It's just basic police procedure that we see in every other trial.

Exactly what kind of training did these "detectives" receive?

I disagree. Even if you think Karen's guilty, the quality of this investigation is really sub-par. They don't document the evidence they pick up. They don't record their interviews. They don't even write down the names of the people they are talking to. None of this stuff is high-tech investigative techniques. It's just basic police procedure that we see in every other trial.

Exactly what kind of training did these "detectives" receive?
I think much depends on what happens next. For instance, if the blood in the cups plays a big role in the case, then the jurors will understand why the tedious cross was necessary. If it is never mentioned again, it is likely to be annoying.

Pick a few key points/issues with each witness and move on. Otherwise you lose all the punch. This is just bad lawyering.
rsbm.

I disagree with this. Just like the prosecution has to spend time establishing foundation and asking a lot of questions, the defense has to cover all possible avenues where the witness erred. If nothing else, the defense needs it to preserve the subject for appeal.

can you elaborate? are we talking recent photos from various events that show an ongoing relationship or are we talking about photos from high school, etc.?

if you want to prove she's actually lying... vs. just saying it because they want it to be true... then there should be no problem pulling out other witnesses that can detail their friendship.
There are quite a few. I've seen over a dozen. All from trips, events, parties, etc. post high school. One was from a baby shower in June 2021.

Not all is lost... curious as to what the experts will reveal about JOK's injuries. What may have happened to him that fateful night. I am not convinced his (JKO) arm were from claw marks and bite marks from an animal. moo

Can’t stand the way the defendant puckers her lips like that! What’s that about? She’s such a weirdo.

JMO

We were in a 10 minute recess.
Jackson asking about who had possession of solo cups.
Jackson now asking if Gallagher looked around for signs of a struggle, had any knowledge of house, did you photograph anything in the house, any people in house?
No
Did you separate individuals?

https://twitter.com/SueNBCBoston
No.

Your interview of Jennifer McCabe was not recorded?
No

Did you give access to sally port to MSP?
I don’t know if it was specifically me.
How many people had access to the vehicle / sally port?
That includes Brian Higgins?
It probably does.

12:04 PM · May 6, 2024

I have no problem with defense pointing out shoddy investigation but when you nitpick a witness to death it makes you look bad. People were laughing at the defense atty. Pick a few key points/issues with each witness and move on. Otherwise you lose all the punch. This is just bad lawyering. Aside from the ridiculous conspiracy theory. JMO
I think we're on the same page on this.
There are quite a few. I've seen over a dozen. All from trips, events, parties, etc. post high school. One was from a baby shower in June 2021.
If the montage you can find on Twitter is what you're referencing... and this is the "perjury" evidence... this strikes me as very weak.

Prove they have a friendship. This shouldn't be hard. A smattering of pictures from group events over the course of a decade doesn't mean much.

I was a pretty social person in my 20's and FB loves to send me memories... often of very similar type of pictures and I couldn't even tell you the last names of the people I have my arm around.

I think much depends on what happens next. For instance, if the blood in the cups plays a big role in the case, then the jurors will understand why the tedious cross was necessary. If it is never mentioned again, it is likely to be annoying.
I would agree. If there is a specific point... of course. If it's just - throwing slop at the wall to confuse one tired jury member - that might be a worthwhile defense approach (if I was worried the conspiracy angle wouldn't hold up)... but as a group of intelligent and capable evaluators we can see how these things don't really fit the 1) conspiracy or 2) she did it, outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000