MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends... is that is an effective tactic or not? again - the defense alleges a vast conspiracy. collecting blood in solo cups isn't police 101 - but time was of the essence and it doesn't feel like the actions of a conspiracy member.

harping on stuff like that vs. the "dog bites" - might start to make some jurors think the defense is just throwing slop at a wall and that might hurt.

look if the defense can prove those are dog bites - the whole case looks different. that alone might be enough to sink or break the case. blood in cups is nonsense... unless the defense is alleging mystery blood or whatever.

Solely my opinion here. Is it an effective tactic? I guess that depends on whether or not the defense can introduce reasonable doubt to at least one juror.

I don't think the defense, at this point, is trying to establish a vast conspiracy but simply trying to introduce reasonable doubt while pointing out that standard investigative techniques, evidence collection, and procedure haven't been followed to a high standard.

I think the responding and investigating officers may have been a bit out of their wheelhouse with regard to the enormous evidentiary documentation needed to collect and preserve evidence and maintain strict chain of custody. It gives the appearance of incompetent police work. While that doesn't absolve the defendant of guilt it's not designed to. The prosecution has to prove guilt...that's where the burden lies. The defense just has to punch enough holes in their case to make a determination of guilt based on the evidence a questionable decision.

I'm enjoying the respectful back and forth of this forum.

@SueNBCBoston

We’re gathering back in the courtroom.A note: we’ve been careful when talking about the vehicle that was the Friday “view”. One of the lawyers said it was #KarenRead’s but we didn’t have confirmation that it was hers.

2:01 PM · May 6, 2024

I just asked #KarenRead if it was her vehicle, the one she was driving the night of the incident, and she confirmed it is.

2:02 PM · May 6, 2024

@SueNBCBoston

Lally is asking if Goode was shown where O’Keefe’s body was.
Goode describes it as a “chaotic” scene.
He spoke to McCabe, then Read.
Could you hear conversations you weren’t involved in?
Goode: It was eerily quiet but the wind made it difficult.
Goode out Read in the car.

2:15 PM · May 6, 2024

Turned on the heat.
She was hysterical, in shock.
She couldn’t keep her train of thought.
He stopped interviewing her.

2:16 PM · May 6, 2024

@SueNBCBoston

Goode’s car moves, we now have a different view.Goode uses a laser pointer to indicate where he didn’t see any other footprints.

2:36 PM · May 6, 2024

Goode is being asked to indicate where he was told OKeefe’s body was.Yannetti objects - hearsay.It’s allowed.

2:38 PM · May 6, 2024

Goode confirms evidence transport.
Yannetti up for the cross.
Goode grew up in Canton.
Goode confirms he went to HS with SPT Proctor’s sister, and Brian Albert’s sister-law.
Goode confirms his knowledge of the Albert family.

Goode confirms he has known Kevin Albert, brother of Brian.
Kevin is a Canton Police officer.
In a crisis, would you have his back?
Goode is careful to indicate there’s a limit.

Yannetti establishing that police work as a team.
Were you assigned the reconstruction analyst?
No. I was the supervisor.

@SueNBCBoston

@SueNBCBoston

Yannetti gives Goode a document to review.
Do you recognize what this is?
A state police form.
Is this a reconstruction report?
I’ve never seen one before.
According to the report lists Goode as the primary investigator.
Objection
Sustained
Sidebar.
Jury directed to stretch.

2:52 PM · May 6, 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors