MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
depends... is that is an effective tactic or not? again - the defense alleges a vast conspiracy. collecting blood in solo cups isn't police 101 - but time was of the essence and it doesn't feel like the actions of a conspiracy member.

harping on stuff like that vs. the "dog bites" - might start to make some jurors think the defense is just throwing slop at a wall and that might hurt.

look if the defense can prove those are dog bites - the whole case looks different. that alone might be enough to sink or break the case. blood in cups is nonsense... unless the defense is alleging mystery blood or whatever.
This stuff needs to be argued so it can be preserved for appeal. The jurors may not care about chain of custody issues but I suspect the appellate courts will.

@SueNBCBoston

Yannetti moving to 6am.
Asking Goode about the call, the police report says 32 Fairviews.
Goode: no police report says 34
Looks like Yannetti is reviewing the police report.
Gives it to Goode.
Face sheet says 32, but narrative says 34.
Goode agrees it’s inaccurate

3:05 PM · May 6, 2024

https://twitter.com/SueNBCBoston

Yannetti asking: Goode decided to go on call (his duty assignment was dispatch).
He called two colleagues to respond.
When you responded - did you know whose house it was.
Yes
You knew exactly where you were going
Yes

3:08 PM · May 6, 2024

Care to elaborate as to your reasoning? TIA
Curious about what KR dad will testify about his conversation with KR. moo
Sure. If KR is calling her father moments after finding JO dead saying she's going to kill herself, that's not typical behavior of someone who has just found their partner dead.

Those are the actions of someone with a guilty conscience.

Sure. If KR is calling her father moments after finding JO dead saying she's going to kill herself, that's not typical behavior of someone who has just found their partner dead.

... or the actions of a hysterical person who had too much to drink and finding their boyfriend dead in the snow.

Last edited:
@SueNBCBoston

Yannetti establishing when the recusal of the Canton Police happened.
Goode: it became a homicide investigation.
In Feb 1 were you the primary Canton police dept investigator?No

2:57 PM · May 6, 2024
For me, thus far this morning, the most damage came in the form of a question to the witness by the Defense by asking if he saw Karen Read crying. The witness answered that he did not see her crying.

Karen was hysterical alright but she wasn't shedding tears for Officer John O'Keefe.

She wanted to harm herself, in the moment, because she knew she was in big trouble due to the hit and run. It could ruin her life. She cared about herself but I don't even see any form of concern in the courtroom from her. How did she sit with a concrete face while the 911 call was played?

MOO

Last edited:

Or the action of a person not able to immediately cope with the loss of a loved one they thought they couldn't continue to live without. Have personally known people react that way initially. JMOO

If it was their family member murdered on someone's lawn, would any of these law enforcement officers be satisfied with these "investigation tactics"?
I don't think so.

And why is the judge helping and prodding Lally to do his job? "Are you sure you don't want to object?" "Don't you want to look at that document before the defense reviews it" etc.

I honestly think this judge has given enough to allow for a new trial IF she were to be found guilty. JMHO

I honestly think the investigation on this case is enough to cause reasonable doubt! I don't care how small your unit is, the techniques and chain of custody has to hold up in a court of law.

Of course she was hysterical! Guilty or not, she was terribly drunk, was angry because her boyfriend didn't come home, then she found him dead in the snow. That doesn't prove guilt to me at all. It shows a very emotional person in the morning with a hangover - likely not totally comprehending everything going on around her. IMO

Also, once again, the snow blower?! AND, they found clear glass but not red taillight pieces? They immediately focused on him being outside and NEVER checked anywhere inside of the house for a fight?? The bottom line here is there WAS not true investigation! They screwed up this case from the moment they arrived and it should have never made it to trial. IMO

Also IMO, there will not be justice for John O'Keefe because of their shoddy investigation.

Yannetti establishing that #KarenRead was upset.
5 police vehicles on scene.
3 had lights on.
2 ambulance on scene.
1 firetruck
Yannetti establishing that the wind, the lights, the noise the screaming made it chaotic.
Yes

Split dashcam footage.
Goode’s at the bottom.
All the jurors watching intently.

Yannetti asks Goode to observe & compare.
Does the top show the same thing but from a different vantage?
Yes

Judge calls a sidebar.
Jury stretches.

This seems to be about numbering exhibits.
Yannetti back, establishing Goode was there for an hour & 40 minutes.
With all the lights flashing, during that time, did you see Albert come out of his house?
No
Did you see OKeefe?
I don’t think so.

All police officers are first responders.
Did you ask Brian Albert why he didn’t come out of the house?
No
When did Kevin Albert broach the topic of you being a first responder to the scene?
I don’t know.
Goode doesn’t recall when, how or where they first discussed it.

Did you hear #KarenRead say “I hit him! I hit him!”?
No
You didn’t include it in your report because you didn’t hear it?
Correct

You testified “the leaf blower worked great,”
You got to the ground?
Yes
You searched the area best you could?
Yes
You brought your leaf blower, first time you used that?
Yes

You found blood?
Yes
Yannetti establishing Goode did a professional search.
How many pieces of tail light did you find?
None.
Did you find a hat or a shoe?
No

How was the crime scene secured?
Crime scene tape, road was closed.
Yannetti asking about tent, heater.
Did you post an officer?
No
After 2 hours nobody was guarding the scene?
That crime scene was open to the public.
Yes

A reminder I am paraphrasing.

One name not completely spelled out in report.
Brian Albert.
Did you omit his full name to mask his involvement?
No
Did you include in your report that Colin Albert was there?
No

Brian Higgins home address was not listed.
Instead, the police department was listed as his address.
Was he involved in an official capacity?
No
Why was his address listed as Canton Police Dept?
I don’t know.

Yannetti gives Goode a report.
Goode is reviewing.
Goode confirms it’s his police report.
Goode keeps the report.
Yannetti confirming what it says.
There’s an objection, Sidebar

@SueNBCBoston

Or the action of a person not able to immediately cope with the loss of a loved one they thought they couldn't continue to live without. Have personally known people react that way initially. JMOO
Find me any case on Websleuths with that as the reaction for an innocent and uninvolved person. I'll wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000