MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Commonwealth's 20-page Statement of Case tells us where this is all going. I don't think anyone will be talking about some EMT's FB friends a week from now.

KR's defense has some tough sledding ahead (snow pun not intended).

So I watched trial today, and saw the bah videos.
I'm gonna sound like EDB, but.....I have questions.

Specifically, back to Brian Higgins.

He of the ATF, who has an office in the town PD's space.
He, who was out drinking until early in the morning, shown "play fighting' with his bud Brian Albert on video. He who, questionably is or isn't present at the Albert home right after the bah. But, miraculously shows up at 'work' at 1:30 in the am, after a night of drinking during a snow storm.

I need more information on this dude. My hinky meter is and has been on high alert. Is he on any witness list?

So I watched trial today, and saw the bah videos.
I'm gonna sound like EDB, but.....I have questions.

Specifically, back to Brian Higgins.

He of the ATF, who has an office in the town PD's space.
He, who was out drinking until early in the morning, shown "play fighting' with his bud Brian Albert on video. He who, questionably is or isn't present at the Albert home right after the bah. But, miraculously shows up at 'work' at 1:30 in the am, after a night of drinking during a snow storm.

I need more information on this dude. My hinky meter is and has been on high alert. Is he on any witness list?
Going to work drunk, at 1:30am. I wonder how his paperwork was affected by his inebriation. What exactly was he doing?

I'm still waiting to witness KR getting drunk that night. We saw one glass of clear liquid she was drinking. I guess the bar receipt showed she bought multiple drinks? Was she buying a round for everyone on that tab, or just her own?

It's weird how Lally was asking questions but seemed surprised by some of the pharmacist's answers. If you don't know the answer, don't ask it!

Was today the last day the judge said she would make a decision about the emt perjuring herself? Why wasn't that handled immediately?

The Commonwealth's 20-page Statement of Case tells us where this is all going. I don't think anyone will be talking about some EMT's FB friends a week from now.

KR's defense has some tough sledding ahead (snow pun not intended).

The Statement of Case is one thing. What actually comes out in the trial is another. For example, just look at today's witness, Karina Kolokithas. The statement claimed that Karina had told the police:
  • KR was drinking vodka sodas
  • KR was "pushing quite a bit" for Chris Albert to go to his pizza place and make pies for everyone.
  • KR complained about JO's mother and about the lack of private time for vacations because of the children, their activities and responsibilities.
Karina's actual testimony was quite a bit different. She just said that KR was drinking a clear liquid. And the other two items were said in a much less inflammatory and more positive way. It does seem as if the writer was putting a negative spin on KK's words to make KR look bad.

Edit - Actually, come to think of it, that may explain why Lally seemed a little bit blindsided by Karina's testimony today. He pushed her a couple of times perhaps expecting some fireworks, but Karina wasn't really taking the bait. Maybe the investigators told him that Karina would be a good witness to impeach Karen's character.

Last edited:
Going to work drunk, at 1:30am. I wonder how his paperwork was affected by his inebriation. What exactly was he doing?D

I'm still waiting to witness KR getting drunk that night. We saw one glass of clear liquid she was drinking. I guess the bar receipt showed she bought multiple drinks? Was she buying a round for everyone on that tab, or just her own?

It's weird how Lally was asking questions but seemed surprised by some of the pharmacist's answers. If you don't know the answer, don't ask it!

Was today the last day the judge said she would make a decision about the emt perjuring herself? Why wasn't that handled immediately?
We'll have to see about the bartender who I read the statement about the MANY drinks she had in an hour. The tone of the statement at the time was that the bartender was aware because of the amount for KR to drink herself, which was the point, was so many in AN HOUR. I read that and thought, well, she certainly was intent on getting massively HAMMERED. Do not know what article or how that info came to be, but it was in past four or so months at least. No, it's not in this trial at this time I think. I was assuming it was at the first bar while reading that. Someone else may remember reading this if closely following from beginning story.
The perjuring issue def should of come up and decided upon and the person's response why under oath.

Going to work drunk, at 1:30am. I wonder how his paperwork was affected by his inebriation. What exactly was he doing?

The true problem is that everyone that night was a problem drinker, no pun intended.

KR is different only in not being LEO. The town in blizzard was not her responsibility. She could drink. According to her morning BAL level, she was an impaired driver. However: she had a cop in the car, in his town, so she felt safe doing this.

Let us imagine a totally different situation: JO decides not to go to BA; instead KR drives him home. He is alive but en route to JO’s home, KR accidentally hits someone else, an innocent pedestrian. Shall we even hear about the case?

If everyone would just be responsible for themselves that night, there’d be no sensation.

Prosecutors are also advocates. They will word things in a manner that advances their belief about the crime committed. Obviously they have to prove their case BARD to a jury and that’s all that matters in the end.

They are advocating for John O’Keefe, the real victim in this case, and seeking truth and Justice for his family and the community. I think the defense has done a good job of erasing John O’Keefe from this case and centering Karen Read and they have likely pushed the state to overdo the case presentation. There’s always action-reaction dynamic in life. We shall see at the end of the case what the state is able to prove. But based on the known facts so far and circumstantially —— she’s guilty. JMO, of course.

This makes sense to me. Although I’m skeptical that she didn’t do it intentionally in the moment. IOW, I think it was intentional. Intentional can be a split second decision. That’s why she’s charged with murder.

But I agree this case is moving way too slooooooow! Geez. They don’t need 6-8 weeks. But it sounds like everybody in Canton is going to testify. The state is erring by being extremely thorough because you can lose/confuse a jury by throwing unnecessary facts at them. I wonder if they’re just being reactionary to the dumpster fire the defense created around this case.

Re: motive - state absolutely does not have to prove motive but it would help in this case and I think they will show motive. The motive is the impending breakup.

Also, those ppl at the scene didn’t THINK they heard her say she hit him. They testified she said it!

(This is not directed at you specifically @thebedbug)

JMO

I don’t think she is an intentional murderer. Moreover, I feel when all is said and done, she’d have to live with the realization of the horrible reality till the rest of her life. But I believe that the PD did not do the proper job and the case will be a mistrial. Moreover, I think it would be fair. There are no villains or saints here.

The Statement of Case is one thing. What actually comes out in the trial is another. For example, just look at today's witness, Karina Kolokithas. The statement claimed that Karina had told the police:
  • KR was drinking vodka sodas
  • KR was "pushing quite a bit" for Chris Albert to go to his pizza place and make pies for everyone.
  • KR complained about JO's mother and about the lack of private time for vacations because of the children, their activities and responsibilities.
Karina's actual testimony was quite a bit different. She just said that KR was drinking a clear liquid. And the other two items were said in a much less inflammatory and more positive way. It does seem as if the writer was putting a negative spin on KK's words to make KR look bad.

Edit - Actually, come to think of it, that may explain why Lally seemed a little bit blindsided by Karina's testimony today. He pushed her a couple of times perhaps expecting some fireworks, but Karina wasn't really taking the bait. Maybe the investigators told him that Karina would be a good witness to impeach Karen's character.
WOW. I just read the statement case. I can see why the charge against her based on what is in it. Now is the evidence needed and to be very factual and science based. Advise all to read this just to have this in mind, while reading and watching the trial. Being open as so far, if ever, any scientific results. KR doesn't remember leaving the first bar.

I don’t think she is an intentional murderer. Moreover, I feel when all is said and done, she’d have to live with the realization of the horrible reality till the rest of her life. But I believe that the PD did not do the proper job and the case will be a mistrial. Moreover, I think it would be fair. There are no villains or saints here.

If this does end in a mistrial then I really hope some unbiased competent agency investigates this until they know who killed JO. JMO

Yannetti says plow driver saw a "ford edge" parked in the area where the body was found. Yannetti tells jury police ignored that

Plow driver told defense investigator he's always on the look out when plowing and passed by 34 Fairview at 2:30 and he says JO's body was not there.

Yannetti tells jury 6 people walked out of 34 Fairview and not one says they saw JO's body. He says snow plow driver also says he never saw JO's body. The driver passed the home several times when police say JO's body would have been there

Opening statements in the murder trial of Karen Read, the Mansfield woman accused in the2022 death of her Boston police officer boyfriend, were delivered Monday before prosecution witness testimony got underway at Norfolk Superior Court in Dedham.

Day one of prosecution testimony concludes in Karen Read murder trial

Lucky Loughran is the name of the plow driver......Waiting for his testimony to see if it remains the same as opening statements. And also would like to know who the ford edge belonged to that was there after that little party was over......

If this does end in a mistrial then I really hope some unbiased competent agency investigates this until they know who killed JO. JMO
I don't see a likelihood of a mistrial here but if you mean if Read is found not guilty, that will be the end of it unless the FBI brings federal indictments. The investigation was completely botched.

In my post above, I said they need scientific evidence, but it sure looks like they do regarding the device in her car showing he was behind closely to her backing up. I haven't seen if there is a rate of speed. Also, need to see condition of his shirt. The three women, KR one of them, would of noticed if JO's sleeve was all pushed up after the possible collision , where possibly his arm injuries occurred? I still can see that his death happened where he lay. Phone under him, drink glass by him, broken. I'm 98 percent sure of my thoughts now. Have to say 98 percent as did the plower just not expect to see a person laying in the snow in the yard, focusing on street, side of street. No one was expecting and I'd think heads were down or chattering with each other while walking to their cars and not being of possible sharp senses, not expecting to see who was laying there in the yard

Last edited:
Lucky Loughran is the name of the plow driver......Waiting for his testimony to see if it remains the same as opening statements. And also would like to know who the ford edge belonged to that was there after that little party was over......

Caitlin Albert's boyfriend apparently has a light colored Ford Edge, same as the vehicle Lucky described.

I have to disagree - I think there are a few villians here so far. If LE does not have solid evidence to convict KR -
I think it's criminal that she was arrested and charges were brought against her.
To me it appears this is biz as usual for these LE players. Like its fine to put evidence in the solo cups and lovely SS grocery bag - who is going to question us - it really appears like this is biz as usual. If they say you are guilty - they "make" it so. If you are a "friend of" well that is truly a different story.
I have seen it too many times and yes its criminal.
There was a young college boy in metro Boston I know who committed a felony. Then left the scene of the crime. It was all caught on tape. He is best friends with a cops son. LE asked the prop manager who had the camera tape of the incident to make it disappear etc and the kid was scot free. Someone else not so much.

My bottomline unless the P has some bombshell - If there is no meat in their case - when the time comes and the defense asks for all charges to be dismissed - Auntie Bev shoudl just dismiss the charges.

People don't like KR I get that - I don't like her - what does that have to do with innocence or guilt.
Oh, but she does ssomething funny with her lips, or she has an attitude or you suspect she may have a drinking problem etc - none of that matters.
Have you been shown beyond a resonable doubt that she killed this man. IMO not even close.
JMO

In my post above, I said they need scientific evidence, but it sure looks like they do regarding the device in her car showing he was behind closely to her backing up. I haven't seen if there is a rate of speed. Also, need to see condition of his shirt. The three women, KR one of them, would of noticed if JO's sleeve was all pushed up after the possible collision , where possibly his arm injuries occurred? I still can see that his death happened where he lay. Phone under him, drink glass by him, broken. I'm 98 percent sure of my thoughts now. Have to say 98 percent as did the plower just not expect to see a person laying in the snow in the yard, focusing on street, side of street. No one was expecting and I'd think heads were down or chattering with each other while walking to their cars and not being of possible sharp senses, not expecting to see who was laying there in the yard

DEDHAM, Mass. — Karen Read, the woman accused in the death ofher boyfriend, Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe, was back in court on Tuesday morning for a hearing in her murder case as her attorneys sought to get her criminal charges dropped.
Her defense team, led by attorney Alan Jackson, presented a motion to dismiss the second-degree murder case against Read in Norfolk County Superior Court in Dedham.
She is accused of running down John O’Keefe in reverse with her Lexus SUV in Canton but an accident reconstructionist hired by the FBI found O’Keefe’s injuries did not appear to be from a car strike.
“The damage on the car was inconsistent with having made contact with John O’Keefe’s body. In other words, the car didn’t hit him, and he wasn’t hit by the car. Period. Full stop,” Read’s attorney Alan Jackson said.
Jackson revealed that and other findings from 3074 pages of documents The U.S. Attorney’s Office for Massachusetts turned over last month from the federal probe of her arrest and prosecution.
He told Judge Beverly Cannone that the federal investigation found inconsistencies and conflicts that should lead to the dismissal of her second-degree murder case.

I don't think his injuries match up at all to a partially broken taillight. And I think if she'd hit him hard enough to cause skull fractures, there'd be a whole lot more damage to the vehicle. amoo omoo
Agree….. And I can’t recall how thick was the snow at that point in the evening / early morning when it was supposed to have occurred? Would heavy lain snow on the ground have possibly affected an incident if she had backed over him?

And have they even indicated where on his body the vehicle would have first struck him, and then ridden over him if he had fallen?

And ps. I am not disagreeing with you…… just trying to understand the possible variables. Thanks. MOO

Maybe JOK missing shoe is in the Ford Edge
Yep, where is the shoe. How did it come off and disappear from where he lay if the glass he was holding was there, his phone. In reading, it sounds like JO was where he was pretty much let out, according to the Lexus device. Would CA'S bf pull up at that time, start a beef and how it all happened? Not remembering or rereading a time line of the bf car there. Blood would be on JO's shirt sleeve in the location of the arm wounds. I know blood etc were on him in general. Hope forensics were or still can be done on all of that. I'd HOPE so initially. Wonder if area/neighborhood streets were searched for that shoe or if it was plowed away if lost by the street/plower and never noticed or found with any interest. I do see shoes a lot on streets oddly and wonder, or just one. (yes, someone could of been changing shoes/sneakers and left on top of car but)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remsfled