MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've defended this judge before, but there's something I really dislike about the way she handles objections.

When Lally objects, she will say "sustained" but never "overruled". Instead she says "I'll allow this" or "I'll let him have this one." As if she's doing the defense a favor.

@JHall7news

Witness Julie Albert has completed her testimony. The jury is excused to get coffee and bagels because the judge says this will be an extended break. Judge is at sidebar with lawyers in this case, plus a lawyer for the man known at "Turtle Boy," Aidan Kearney.

Kearney has a new media credential and is spending his first day in the courtroom. We don't know what's being discussed at this point.

10:21 AM · May 10, 2024

Let's move on... witness doesn't recall anything. moo

Do you believe Julie Albert when she says she doesn't remember anything about her 10-20 minute long calls with Elizabeth Proctor?

This has got to be one of the most memorable things that's occurred in the town of Canton. It directly affects her family, and in fact her son was at the location. She's speaking to the spouse of the lead investigator. The calls are right before and after KR makes news.

IMO, it's really not credible that they could have been talking about any old subject and their conversations were so unmemorable that she has no recollection. (Especially since she seems to have good memory about other events that occurred two years ago, like speaking with Karen at the bar or the time that her son came home.)

I've defended this judge before, but there's something I really dislike about the way she handles objections.

When Lally objects, she will say "sustained" but never "overruled". Instead she says "I'll allow this" or "I'll let him have this one." As if she's doing the defense a favor.
I noticed that since day 1 of trial.
The "I’ll allow this" doesn’t bother me much, but the “I’ll let him have this one" is a poor choice of words, imo.
Is it judge’s style? Is this how it is in her courtroom?

Anyway, she is the judge.

moo

Do you believe Julie Albert when she says she doesn't remember anything about her 10-20 minute long calls with Elizabeth Proctor?
No. moo

And dont believe comment about migraines -- they're debilitating at least for many. She's fortunate I supposed.
Apparently, she's been coached. Her testimony gives me attorney representation vibes. moo
This has got to be one of the most memorable things that's occurred in the town of Canton. It directly affects her family, and in fact her son was at the location. She's speaking to the spouse of the lead investigator. The calls are right before and after KR makes news.
Agreed.
IMO, it's really not credible that they could have been talking about any old subject and their conversations were so unmemorable that she has no recollection. (Especially since she seems to have good memory about other events that occurred two years ago, like speaking with Karen at the bar or the time that her son came home.)
Yes, selective memory. moo

@TedDanielnews

I just spoke with Aidan Kearney's attorney Tim Bradl. He says he's here because the prosecution has requested that Aidan Kearney be removed from the courtroom. The twists and turns never end

10:27 AM · May 10, 2024

Appears to be some drama happening in #KarenRead trial. Blogger Aiden Kerney aka Turtleboy is inside the courtroom sitting with media. The prosecution has asked that he be removed per @TedDanielnews. Background:

I missed this.

Has anyone seen the detailed time log that @SleuthieGoosie has posted? She has linked sources for each incident and the time it occurred.
It's not necessary to have an account to view the posted document, thankfully.
Wow! That is seriously impressive @SleuthieGoosie!

I've made spreadsheets for trials before, but I can't compete with that!

The only thing that could make it even better is if there was some way to show approximately how much snow was on the ground at the time?

I don't even know if I should say this, but the Julie Albert apparently inadvertently referred to one of the state police investigators using a ....sexually charged....word instead of his name. Twice. Turtleboy has been referring to Trooper Yuri Bukhenik by this word which I won't repeat. Turtleboy has press credentials and is sitting in the press box so the prosecution wants him removed.

You absolutely could not make this stuff up.

this is not unusual. court is not like TV - where the lawyer always cites the reason for obvious objections.

ex. they don't need to say "objection, hearsay!" each time they are obviously objecting to hearsay. if the judge doesn't understand the objection... the judge will ask "on what grounds?"

I don’t recall this having been entered into evidence. Can you provide a time stamp?
In this document you can see the JO's health data from his phone. It indicates his movements, and includes ascending stairs.
I believe the info comes with the caveat that there could be more movements during that time period that were not captured.

I agree. The judge is repeatedly insinuating that the defense is barely getting by with what is allowed in court. While the same judge is prodding the prosecutor to do his job with multiple reminders.

Also, I think the more the CW fights against independent bloggers, the more attention they give them!

So it is about @DoctorTurtleboy being in the court while some witnesses testify.
Bradl says he was here for a different reason, tho.
Prosecution is seeking to exclude Turtleboy from courtroom.

Bradl was given 30 minutes notice, this is.
Complaining about the procedural issues, which are “funny business”, Now making the case for Turtleboy’s contribution to case, and he hasn’t caused a problem.

Bradl saying the issue has been adjudicated, it’s done.

I don’t know all of the players in the Kearney case that Bradl is detailing.
Bradl says Kearney (Turtleboy) was harassed by a “so called journalist” this morning.

Judge asking Lally to explain why service happened the way it did.
Judge cognizant of the jury’s time, and getting this trial done.
Lally: requesting Kearney be excluded from courtroom when certain witnesses are testifying, there is witness concern.

Bradl: witness concern is not a legal issue.
“So what,” says it’s a “personal vendetta”

Judge: Kearney has a right to be here, he arrived timely, etc.
#karenRead has a right to a fair trial
He will be excused from a list of witnesses.
He will not lose his seat when he is excused during certain witness testimony.

@SueNBCBoston

@JHall7news

Judge Cannone says she must assure defendant's consituitonal right to a fair trial. She says she is excluding Kearney from attending court when the named witnesses in the Commonwealth's motion testify. This includes Brian Albert, Nicole Albert, Colin ALbert and others.

11:02 AM · May 10, 2024

@BienickWCVB

Judge agrees Kearney’s has press pass and has right to be here. But she says Kearney has “chilling effect” and will be “excused” during certain testimony.

11:11 AM · May 10, 2024

I missed this.

Has anyone seen the detailed time log that @SleuthieGoosie has posted? She has linked sources for each incident and the time it occurred.
It's not necessary to have an account to view the posted document, thankfully.
that is a very interesting thing to look at

really interesting to see Jennifer McCabe's extensive deletions of phone data. I mean what is the motivation exactly?

and that she apparently was up all night except for a small window 230am - 5am

there is something going on. just creepy really

lies, deletions, evasiveness. something stinks

and by something i mean everything

I noticed that since day 1 of trial.
The "I’ll allow this" doesn’t bother me much, but the “I’ll let him have this one" is a poor choice of words, imo.
Is it judge’s style? Is this how it is in her courtroom?

Anyway, she is the judge.

moo
I don't recall her ever saying "I'll let him have this one" when the defense objects to Lally's question.

this is not unusual. court is not like TV - where the lawyer always cites the reason for obvious objections.

ex. they don't need to say "objection, hearsay!" each time they are obviously objecting to hearsay. if the judge doesn't understand the objection... the judge will ask "on what grounds?"
No, this judge has specifically ruled that grounds are not to be stated in open court. That is solely her decision.

Many attorneys have commented that this seems unusual to them, although maybe it's more common in her jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member