MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a little about KR and BH but not sure of any of it at this point. But contrary to what BH says, a kiss on the lips could be considered sexual IMO

O’Keefe wasn’t the only one accused of being unfaithful. Prosecutors reportedly recovered texts that were“romantic in nature” between Read and one of O’Keefe’s friends. She also allegedly tried to kiss a friend of O’Keefe’s named Brian Higgins, saying she knew where all the cameras in his house were so they could smooch undetected.
ttps://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/karen-read-trial-peeling-back-the-layers-of-a-complicated-case-as-jury-selection-begins/

According to court documents, Higgins told investigators Read “surprised him with a kiss on the lips” a few weeks earlier, when he went over to O’Keefe’s house to watch a New England Patriots game. Prosecutors said Higgins and Read exchanged romantic text messages in the weeks before O’Keefe died,but their relationship reportedly wasn’t sexual.
Thank you for this. Hmm romantic texts. Have to see. Bit of flirtation or more 'hopefully'' to come> Yes, if JO knew this.. What was JM up to here..really wanted JO to come back/into the house.

The real question: why some people are “instantly likable” and some, not, is very interesting from the sociology perspective. My opinion of KR is not jealousy-based: I am interested in overachieving women, as there is a lot to learn from them.

Objectively, I am against the defense strategy of recruiting a wife-beater and a witness-intimidator as their main supporter. The subjective factor has to do with the screen, but i yet have to pinpoint what it is.
What is an "overachieving" woman? Aren't they someone who just... achieves?
Or they've earned or acquired more goals than what misogynists expected?

The defense did contact Turtleboy, but they did not recruit him or request his problematic behavior.

Witness intimidation exists on the prosecution side:

-On social media, Brian Albert’s brother Tim publicly threatened to ruin anyone who crossed his family: "I stand by my family 100%. You don't with them. You do, and I won't hesitate to make you the most miserable person. It's a promise."

-Chris Albert was filmed harassing his own pizza customers after he thought they were taking his picture. He accused them of giving a news blogger "handjobs", and followed them to their car.

-Jen McCabe & her buddy Jill Thomas confronted Tom Beatty’s 17 year old daughter, a likely witness in the #KarenRead case, and told her to “instead of opening your mouth, why don't you stick a dick in it instead"?

-Sean McCabe threatening to murder and bury the corpse of a news blogger under the presiding judge’s (whom McCabe referred to as “Auntie Bev”) seaside cottage.

-And what was with the cop bumping into KR in the court hallway?

Thank you for this. Hmm romantic texts. Have to see. Bit of flirtation or more 'hopefully'' to come> Yes, if JO knew this.. What was JM up to here..really wanted JO to come back/into the house.
Yes, and not only JM but according to some articles BH coerced JO into coming to the after party. I'm still wondering what would have had to be going on for anyone to not only kill but want beat JO. From what I've gathered JO was a likeable kind of guy and for sure showed his caring side by taking care of his niece and nephew. I'm at a loss for a real motive. Walking thru his yard and getting yelled at doesn't seem like enough IMO.

IMO, the story so far is that it was KR who didn't want to go in to the Alberts home. Sort of like, her own 'hinky meter' was going off...even in her alleged inebriated state. IMO, she wasn't too sure if they were actually wanted or welcome in the home, something didn't feel right, and JOK was like...I'm going in. ( After being begged and led/directed by Jen M).

The defense did contact Turtleboy, but they did not recruit him or request his problematic behavior.

-On social media, Brian Albert’s brother Tim publicly threatened to ruin anyone who crossed his family: "I stand by my family 100%. You don't with them. You do, and I won't hesitate to make you the most miserable person. It's a promise."

-Chris Albert was filmed harassing his own pizza customers after he thought they were taking his picture. He accused them of giving a news blogger "handjobs", and followed them to their car.

-Jen McCabe & her buddy Jill Thomas confronted Tom Beatty’s 17 year old daughter, a likely witness in the #KarenRead case, and told her to “instead of opening your mouth, why don't you stick a dick in it instead"?

-Sean McCabe threatening to murder and bury the corpse of a news blogger under the presiding judge’s (whom McCabe referred to as “Auntie Bev”) seaside cottage.

Privileged people trying to run something besides their mouth IMO. Wonder if we will hear anything more about that incident with KR in the hall?

My impression only, is that these are entitled, due to husbands jobs, homes, being townies and comfortable in their circle, are 'bored and kind of rough women', mean middle aged girls. Def the type to circle the wagons around who they choose. Purposely but without even realizing they are mentally insulated. Small 'worlds' that they all 'rule'. I know previously about the behavior of the Albert 'menfolk' from earlier reports and information starting out. Crass, the bunch.

Sounds like the LE man despises KR and believes she killed JO and acted out his anger in that moment? He was a friend of JO's.

I don't really have a take on TB and his antics but it was interesting to see the 1994 Chris Albert vehicular homicide case and the Judge Cannone connection.
Googled his name and vehicular homicide/Canton. Wow, no surprise. Always a punk wanna be. The thing with TB is that, he does 'get things done' and public, that might not of come to light otherwise. That's a positive thing amongst his other things in his life. Not my concern. There is a mentality going on with that group regardless and it's not one I'd be happy have and be proud of.

Could you expound on this?

In portions

That’s about arrest for witnesses intimidation

Here

The arrest was following DV with GF not wife sorry. She was pregnant.

Last edited:
Yes, and not only JM but according to some articles BH coerced JO into coming to the after party. I'm still wondering what would have had to be going on for anyone to not only kill but want beat JO. From what I've gathered JO was a likeable kind of guy and for sure showed his caring side by taking care of his niece and nephew. I'm at a loss for a real motive. Walking thru his yard and getting yelled at doesn't seem like enough IMO.

I don't think there was any intent to kill JO and I don't think any animosity or lessons they felt John needed to learn were related to Colin throwing (booze related, of course) trash on JO's lawn. But something bad happened in that house soon after he arrived.

Lally has done such an incompetent job prepping these witnesses. Let's take Nicole "Coco" Albert, who started out pretty well on direct. (Unlike her sister-in-law Julie. Oh, dear. Poor woman) But on cross, instead of simply admitting they rehomed Chloe (aka "It") because she was a liability for biting dogs and humans, she first lied and indicated she only bit animals. When she reluctantly then admitted two people previously were "injured" and taken to the hospital because of Chloe, it appeared she was trying to to distance her dog from the multiple lacerations on John's arm. Can't imagine this was lost on the jury.

And now "It" has gone to a farm in Vermont. I wonder if it's the same farm in Vermont my parents sent my ailing old dog to when I was six. I stopped asking to visit her after a few months.

I don't think there was any intent to kill JO and I don't think any animosity or lessons they felt John needed to learn were related to Colin throwing (booze related, of course) trash on JO's lawn. But something bad happened in that house soon after he arrived.

Lally has done such an incompetent job prepping these witnesses. Let's take Nicole "Coco" Albert, who started out pretty well on direct. (Unlike her sister-in-law Julie. Oh, dear. Poor woman) But on cross, instead of simply admitting they rehomed Chloe (aka "It") because she was a liability for biting dogs and humans, she first lied and indicated she only bit animals. When she reluctantly then admitted two people previously were "injured" and taken to the hospital because of Chloe, it appeared she was trying to to distance her dog from the multiple lacerations on John's arm. Can't imagine this was lost on the jury.

And now "It" has gone to a farm in Vermont. I wonder if it's the same farm in Vermont my parents sent my ailing old dog to when I was six. I stopped asking to visit her after a few months.
She also didn't mention the family's Ford Edge on direct and then Elizabeth Little was able to score a few points asking her about it on cross.

I don't know why Lally didn't just tell her to be straightforward about this stuff. It's obviously going to come out and it's much better to mention it beforehand so the defense can't imply she's being dishonest.

My impression only, is that these are entitled, due to husbands jobs, homes, being townies and comfortable in their circle, are 'bored and kind of rough women', mean middle aged girls. Def the type to circle the wagons around who they choose. Purposely but without even realizing they are mentally insulated. Small 'worlds' that they all 'rule'. I know previously about the behavior of the Albert 'menfolk' from earlier reports and information starting out. Crass, the bunch.

None of them have really ever worked (Nicole was a part-time lunch lady though) and I have to agree it almost seems like they - men and women - are still all at Canton High in their clique, just not attending class anymore. It's scary insular and I'm not sure they see the world the same way most people do.

While I don't see any chance JO died from being hit by a car, I've wondered how so many middle aged adults could come together and circle those wagons the way they have. We had some friends over last night watching portions of the trial with Emily D. Baker (the best) and the overriding sense was that these Alberts we've seen so far, while seemingly quite wealthy, are also quite trashy and more than a little dumb.

Bring on the McCabes!

She also didn't mention the family's Ford Edge on direct and then Elizabeth Little was able to score a few points asking her about it on cross.

I don't know why Lally didn't just tell her to be straightforward about this stuff. It's obviously going to come out and it's much better to mention it beforehand so the defense can't imply she's being dishonest.
If Nicole Albert was asked her address she would probably say 'near 32 Fairview' lol

But something bad happened in that house soon after he arrived.

Yes, but what happened is still a mystery although I believe he was intentionally pressured to come to the house to begin with. For what reason? He wasn't really part of that crowd and I wonder if he was aware of something going on with BH and KR if in fact there really was something going on.

Yes, but what happened is still a mystery although I believe he was intentionally pressured to come to the house to begin with. For what reason? He wasn't really part of that crowd and I wonder if he was aware of something going on with BH and KR if in fact there really was something going on.

There's all kinds of speculation about what John knew or had done to anger these people, but I've heard nothing concrete or provable, so far. But maybe he "didn't know how things are done in Canton".

Then there is the FBI. We really have no idea how they got involved or what exactly they are working on that relates to this case. Or whether they were already working on something related to certain players even before John's death. Most people think it's Proctor or the State Police in general, but no one knows.

I don't think I've ever heard of another case in which FBI inserted themselves into a criminal case ostensibly to assist an accused murderer.

Two points.

First, Occam's Razor only applies after giving both sides a fair hearing. Until you've heard all the trial testimony, then it's inappropriate to use it.

Second, Occam's Razor is not the appropriate standard for a criminal trial. The proper standard is "guilt beyond a reasonable doubt". If at the end of the day all the jury has is the principle of parsimony, then they have to find Karen Read not guilty, as the state has not established their case.

Edit - Reading through your post again, I just wanted to add that I think you have most of the facts incorrect, at least insomuch as they have been testified to at trial.
Reiterating that while we’re in the midst of the trial, it’s not just about what most likely happened or what could have happened. It’s what can be proved. And that’s why this case is so baffling. KR was allegedly super drunk, it was dark, there was bad weather.. it should be fairly cut and dry if the most obvious or simple scenario happened. As you well know @ch_13 from following all the pre trial coverage so diligently, it’s crazy to think how she would have hit him and resulted in such atypical injuries, a real lack of evidence and such bizarre behavior from nearly every person tangentially related to the scenario. Add in how sloppy and frankly embarrassing the investigation was, I have no clue how anyone can be confident at this point that she did it and should be convicted.

Last edited:
I think the plow driver is credible, in that I don't believe he's lying or looking for fame. He was interviewed by KR's PI as well as the FBI very shortly after John died, long before this case became infamous and probably soon enough after that night that his memory was still fresh. He doesn't seem to have any direct ties to any of the big players.

This. While I don’t know the plow driver myself personally, I know people who do and he’s said to be s straight up, no frills, honest guy, and yes no ties at all to any of the players in the situation. Absolutely not a fame seeker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member