MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of denial, which one would have to ask why? Why all the denying from the Albert family? moo
This butt-dial thing is so dumb.

Butt-dials are from back when phones had actual buttons. If you had one in your back pocket and didn't physically lock your phone you could inadvertently press a button and call someone on your favorites list.

I'm not saying you can't inadvertently call someone with an iPhone, but it's much harder. I can't recall the last time I did that. Maybe two or three years ago when Siri heard something I said and interpreted it as a call request.

The idea that the men almost simultaneously butt-dialed each other while using iPhones is just hard to believe.

(What is common with iPhones is tapping on the wrong person on your contacts. But it doesn't sound like that's what happened here. It sounds like the phone was locked and he somehow called Brian Higgins.)

The average person would be completely railroaded in this trial.
If KR wasn't as well educated, or highly skilled at financial investing... how could anyone afford to hire legal defense for years against these crazy allegations?

Also, did Brian Albert just admit he was awake when butt-dialing Higgins?
Someone with less means would likely have been encouraged to plea it down, regardless of whether they did it

Someone with less means would likely have been encouraged to plea it down, regardless of whether they did it

I fully believe that is exactly what they expected to happen and then when she hires AJ etc you start seeing the scrambling of the dog being rehomed, the house sold, and phones destroyed

Last edited:
Folks are back in the courtroom.
Waiting on the jury & judge.

Brian Albert is back on the stand,

Court & jury are back.
Judge tells Jackson if she had known he only had a couple of questions left, she would have let him finish.
Jackson asks if B Albert watched earlier broadcasts of Read court proceedings.
- no
Jackson gives B Albert a document.

Jackson reading from June 2023, regarding who could have answered the call from Higgins: it could only be me.
- Albert confirms
Jackson is done.
ADA Lally is up.
Talking about Hillside, establishing that Albert was there, but not with OKeefe or Read.

When you were at Waterfall, you were there with friends & families, not just OKeefe & Read.
- correct
On the 29th did you or anyone go into the basement?
-no
Asking about Chloe, and how she behaves with strangers.

Albert framing that some people don’t like dogs, Chloe wasn’t aggressive, except for the dog fight.
Lally establishing 28/29 timeline.
Why didn’t he go outside?
- saw emergency vehicles, didn’t see John, she asked where was John.
Was there any reason for you to go outside?

- there was no victim, there was nothing I could do.
Lally establishing basement bulkhead.
Doors in photo were not original.
B Albert says the original doors were old creaky & could be heard in kitchen.
Talking about gates around house.
Now on to phone.

B Albert being asked if calls, texts, photos could be backed up in Cloud.
- yes
Albert asked if he knew the request for his phone was denied.
- yes
When was the last boxing match?
- 20 years ago
Is your defensive tactics training standard?
-yes

John OKeefe would have been trained.
-yes
How was your phone service at you home?
- we had dead zones around the house
Was your phone locked when you began being intimate with your wife?
- I don’t know

@SueNBCBoston

B Albert Jr is confirming the timeline.
Filling in the people who came to the house before midnight.
People were eating drinking White Claws & Trulys
B Albert Jr listing other friends who came to house.

Interesting the premise of the night out to Waterfall was for his birthday, but he was having his own friend gathering.
Testified cousin Colin came by, then parents came home.

Colin was 17, called to come by house.
Asked when he came to house, about 10:45 11.
Colin knew some of the people there.

Lally asks if people were in other rooms, upstairs, basement.
- no
B Albert Jr detailing when people left.
Parents got home Lally asks how Colin got there?
- no
B Albert says parents, sister, Higgins arrived.
He doesn’t remember meeting Higgins before.

Colin was leaving, said Allie McCabe (sp) was picking her up.
Mom got home and started picking up, she likes to clean.
Jen McCabe & Matt McCabe arrived.
They are parents to Allie McCabe.
When did the last person to leave.
- don’t know
Brian Albert Jr is answering directly

@SueNBCBoston

Last edited:
The average person would be completely railroaded in this trial.
If KR wasn't as well educated, or highly skilled at financial investing... how could anyone afford to hire legal defense for years against these crazy allegations?

Also, did Brian Albert just admit he was awake when butt-dialing Higgins?

You know, this whole story about the conversation made me wonder about:

1) the true nature of the relationship between them;
2) the degree of alcohol problems BA had (I honestly think he blacked out too);
3) why didn’t he get out of the house in the morning? If he is uninvolved he wants people to see that there are no scratches or bruises on him. So either he was somehow involved or (which I consider possible) he blacked out that morning.

Drunk, high, both? None of these people has stellar reputations alcohol-wise. No one in the story.

As always, I think about prevention, maybe it would be a good investment to organize PTSD counseling for the police units, such things, to avoid such idiotic situations? BA was a war veteran (Desert Storm, I read), had a very taxing job for many years, and, as I suspect, severely ruined his health. Now he is in a tough situation, and no course of events will be a win for him.

To be honest, I feel some empathy that I know I shouldn’t. But, in post Covid community, these questions will be inevitably raised. The limitations imposed on the police effectively prevent them from seeking help, but then it doesn’t protect us, the citizens, from them being dysfunctional.

Will it be cheaper for the community to invest in their health than to cover the cost of such processes?

I fully believe that is exactly what they expected to happen and then when she hires AJ etc you start seeing the scrambling of the dog being rehomed, the house sold, and phones destroyed

The autopsy photos most of all. Once the defense got those, there was no way she was going to take a plea deal on a lesser charge.

Norfolk DA and his ego got involved and he refused to back down. Lally just drew the short straw.

- yes, it moved closer to flagpole.
Friend Julie came back in the house.
Says McCabes left at about 1
Sister Caitlin was last to leave, boyfriend picked her up
Establishing where his bedroom is.

He woke up about 730, says previous testimony says earlier.
He put on clothes and came downstairs.
Establishing the birthday donut ritual.
Saw the donuts, didn’t see Julie.

@SueNBCBoston

@BienickWCVB

Brian Jr says the first time he looked, the SUV was near the mailbox, the 2nd time it was moved up near the flag pole.

Brian Jr. Says friends Matt and Jen McCabe took his friends Julie and Sarah home. Caitlin left with her boyfriend Tristan Morris. He went to bed in an upstairs bedroom facing the backyard. Was awakened the next morning by his father.

2:36 PM · May 13, 2024

I love the word games the Alberts use.

Getting rid of your dog is " Re-homing"
Getting rid of your phone is " Upgrading"

Potato-potatoh dudes
I wasn't born yesterday.

I don’t believe these are bites more than they are human scratches.

As I have mentioned, canine DNA on JO’s body or DNA of GS breed (you know they can do it nowadays, with dogs, the same way we determine human ethnicity) should be great circumstantial evidence. I am not sure there is any DNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911