MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. I think it's usual in any homicide trial to have to wait until later in the prosecution case for post-mortem/autopsy evidence, which is a bit frustrating in this case because (IMO) proving beyond a reasonable doubt that JO'K died as a result of contact with a car (let alone Karen Read's car specifically) and not by any other possible means is the first hurdle they have to clear on the route to a guilty verdict.

If they can't get past that hurdle then nearly everything we've heard in court up to this point is irrelevant.
It could happen, but as I saw at court TV, he should be sitting on the ground, head turned, the car hitting his head on the side/back, and then him hitting the head on the ground.
It has to be double impact, actually, two blunt forces, and can happen only if he fell and is sitting trying to get up, and then the force of the blow throws him at the paved ground (essentially, concrete). Lawn can’t do it.

@BienickWCVB

David Yannetti begins cross-examination of Nagel. She wasn't questioned by Tpr Proctor until several months later.

Yannetti is trying to make the point that Nagel is close to the Albert/McCabe family. "You actually pet-sat for the McCabe's golden doodle, Bailey?" Yannetti asks. She did.

12:36 PM · May 14, 2024

not a great look by the defense attorney. second time today he has been corrected by a witness he is trying to make look unreliable. and then he weirdly states, "at least one of us is paying attention."

rough witness for KR and defense. she puts KR's truck at the scene. remembers it moving position a few times. and remembers a black blob when she was leaving before 2am.

I'm really tired of this tedious parade of witnesses to document every moment of that evening from the bar to the home. And at least I can walk away when I get bored. I can't imagine how the jury feels.

It seems like the prosecution spends most of their time refuting the defense rather than making their case. They need focus on their own case and let the defense present their theory when it's their turn instead of trying to deflect it in advance. If they have actual physical evidence which inculcates Karen Read then they should have lead with that. It will stick in the minds of the jurors and they'll be far less open to alternate theories.

I really hope they haven't chosen this path because they think it's the strongest part of their case. If Lally can't nail the autopsy / accident reconstruction / taillight shards then the prosecution is toast.

Not really. In fact - it kind of slid in quickly - but the boyfriend testified she said she didn't want to be snowed in at the house... and that he just went to go get her because she was 'high maintenance' and it wasn't worth it to argue (sic).

It's literally the most believable thing, ever.

The boyfriend was a bit obnoxious with the times. Obviously, one would know the difference between 5pm and 5am. On the other hand, if it actually mattered, the defense could've certainly nailed him down with phone records, etc.. to a tighter time.

This is an example of how the defense wants to put questions out there... but certainly doesn't want to give answers... because for them - it's not about the answers, they just want to give a sense of evasiveness.

I don't think the whole "did you see... red plastic, black hat, etc." shtick was all that convincing.
It’s not yet the defense’s turn.
And they can call aaaaallll these witnesses again when it’s their turn.
Why give phone records and any good details now? To give the State more time to come up with more fake answers?
And it’s not on the defense to give answers, you got that one mixed up.

not a great look by the defense attorney. second time today he has been corrected by a witness he is trying to make look unreliable. and then he weirdly states, "at least one of us is paying attention."

rough witness for KR and defense. she puts KR's truck at the scene. remembers it moving position a few times. and remembers a black blob when she was leaving before 2am.
snowplow driver came by much later and saw nothing. He also does not know or associate with any of the friends and family of the alberts. My money is on what he saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15