MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they weren't good friends. They went to high school together. They had some mutual friends. Because of this, they crossed paths from time to time.

If they were actually buddy buddy, they defense would have no problem calling witness after witness to testify to them hanging out on weekends and doing whatever else together.

I think the defense and defense-aligned folks harping on this, just shows how weak of a defense they actually have. And I'm curious... why? Aren't we here for the actual victim in this case... John O'Keefe? Prosecution witnesses are hostile (and I'll agree sometimes unnecessarily so) to the defense attorney because he's implying they are all murderers!

Why is this so hard to understand?
I tend to agree with you that it is not unbelievable to believe that Caitlin Albert and Katie McLaughlin simply cross paths based on their actual friendships with one another. I feel like there would be many more pictures of them together if they were actually friends. Their interactions and pics seem to be only when other people are around them.

I also agree that there is reason for the witnesses not to like the defense and them being on the defensive. They have spent the last 2 years being vilified in the press and in their community. It's really something to watch a defense team exploit the natural emotions that most people would have, to being harassed publicly, inside of the courtroom.

IF Karen Read is guilty - and it is a big if at this point - it would be quite infuriating having her crime blamed on you. The defense also does a lot to twist their words and try to trip them up and it's quite apparent if you are the one being questioned. The defense knows how to make people look like they are lying and are real sly with how they phrase their questions. They are really good at their job.

With that said... it's a huge problem that Lally doesn't actually do much to rehab the witnesses on redirect, so their bad performances and all of the manipulation is allowed to stand for the most part.

not a great look by the defense attorney. second time today he has been corrected by a witness he is trying to make look unreliable. and then he weirdly states, "at least one of us is paying attention."

rough witness for KR and defense. she puts KR's truck at the scene. remembers it moving position a few times. and remembers a black blob when she was leaving before 2am.

How is the defense causing the witness to appear unreliable? The same witness you’re referring to, Julie Nagel, testified she’d never before been to Jen McCabe home then the next question confirmed she’d pet sat Jen McCabe golden doodle dog. The question after that she confirmed she’d pet sat the dog in the home of Jen McCabe aka the home she’d denied ever having been to two questions prior. Who’s discrediting her?

Because they weren't good friends. They went to high school together. They had some mutual friends. Because of this, they crossed paths from time to time.

If they were actually buddy buddy, they defense would have no problem calling witness after witness to testify to them hanging out on weekends and doing whatever else together.

I think the defense and defense-aligned folks harping on this, just shows how weak of a defense they actually have. And I'm curious... why? Aren't we here for the actual victim in this case... John O'Keefe? Prosecution witnesses are hostile (and I'll agree sometimes unnecessarily so) to the defense attorney because he's implying they are all murderers!

Why is this so hard to understand?
Are you ok with what you’ve witnessed the past 11 days of this trial?
In all seriousness, up to this point do you believe the prosecution is trying to get justice for JO or prove the Albert/Proctor/McCabe clan’s innocence?
If this is getting justice for someone’s murder, I sure hope none of us ever end up in this situation.

Anyone, 11 days in, that can say the prosecution (and the investigation) isn’t an absolute abomination and, frankly, an embarrassment, ONLY wants Karen to be found guilty, and have zero regard for finding justice for JO.
MOO

Has anyone of the umpteen witnesses so far called actually stated that they physically saw Colin Albert leave, and with who/how he went home ? I am anticipating that eventually we will hear that a McCabe or close friend/acquaintance of theirs brought him home...And will that be believed by the time we hear that?
Hmmm

Witness #31 was at the house on Fairview in Canton the night John O'Keefe died. Juli Nagel talks about hanging out with Brian Jr and the five other woman, all friends of Brian, who came to celebrate his birthday.

Nagel testifies she saw a black SUV parked near the house on Fairview before she went out to speak to her brother and his friends in a pickup. She asked them if they wanted to join the party.
They said no..she said she'd find another way home.

Nagel says this black SUV was parked in three different locations when she was looking out.
But she never saw anyone get out of the vehicle. She's not sure if the SUV was running. Could not see inside it. Implication is this is Karen Read's vehicle.

Julie testifies as they were leaving she saw "kind of ike a black blob" in the snow on the front lawn.
This is the first time we have had a witness notice something out of the ordinary at the Albert home that night.
She points a laser pointer at the area of the yard.

Nagel says she told other occupants (sarah levinson, the McCabes) I think I might have seen something, I don't know what it was. She testifies it was maybe 5 or 6 feet long.
She says she was intoxicated..apparently they didn't stop to look at this blob or black hole.

After facing some intense cross examination from the defense attorney Yannetti, about why she didn't call police about seeing that "blob", about how drunk she was, we have hit the end of the day. Nagel will be back on the stand in the morning for Lally redirect.

@JHall7news

Has anyone of the umpteen witnesses so far called actually stated that they physically saw Colin Albert leave, and with who/how he went home ? I am anticipating that eventually we will hear that a McCabe or close friend/acquaintance of theirs brought him home...And will that be believed by the time we hear that?
Hmmm
Right they are all soooo sure JOK never came into the house but no one apparently saw Colin Albert leave the house but they are SURE he left.

not a great look by the defense attorney. second time today he has been corrected by a witness he is trying to make look unreliable. and then he weirdly states, "at least one of us is paying attention."

rough witness for KR and defense. she puts KR's truck at the scene. remembers it moving position a few times. and remembers a black blob when she was leaving before 2am.

She was drunk and can barely remember a lot of things. Not very reliable. MOO

If you're of a certain mindset... I'd be careful with your evaluations of 'drunk' - because a certain someone is going to be shown to have been drunk drunk drunk.

Whataboutism. Has nothing to do with the reliability of a prosecution witness due to them being drunk at the time and then not interviewed for a year.

I think Julie Nagel really hurt the prosecution today; her testimony was a train wreck. When Lally asked her why she didn't want to give a statement to the defense attorneys before trial and she said she knew her rights and didn't have to speak to them -- it was all over.

@cathyrusson

How many people in the #KarenRead case were drinking and driving that night?! We live in an age of Lyft, Uber, etc...

11:29 AM · May 14, 2024

Agree with her a lot, especially how many of them were in LE or closely related to someone in LE. Though I guess those scenarios may make one more likely to drive drunk due to thinking they can get out of any trouble or I knew a local cop here who when I was younger I could call him and he would tell me where that night's DUI checkpoints were and where to stay away from. MOO.

Quick question: When Julie Albert was testifying, why didn't defense ask her about the text message she sent to Courtney Proctor saying she wanted to buy Courtney's brother (Michael Proctor) a gift when this was all over?

Will defense call Julie back to the stand?

Quick question: When Julie Albert was testifying, why didn't defense ask her about the text message she sent to Courtney Proctor saying she wanted to buy Courtney's brother (Michael Proctor) a gift when this was all over?

They can recall her, yes. They were doing cross on this initial go round.

I believe the defense tried to go there with a question, but it was quickly objected and sustained by Judge Bev. Those things just simply cannot go to the jury....

:rolleyes:

Because the defense is waiting to present their case, the prosecution is presenting theirs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15