MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCabe says she didn't see anything unusual about the SUV and never heard anything unusual like screaming, an engine revving, etc.

McCabe says she had a "clear view" of the SUV. Jackson asks, "Where was the body?”

Jacksons wants to make the point that if McCabe saw the SUV she would have seen a body on the front yard. "Do you think you'd see if there was an alligator in front of me?”

@BienickWCVB

@TedDanielnews

I suspect there will be some life long friendships made with this jury. They will have a shared experience that only they will be able to relate to. Plus the amount of time they will spend together.

10:30 AM · May 21, 2024

JM: I never saw a body. I wish I had. AJ: Sounds like that was a little rehearsed JM: Not at all

10:32 AM · May 21, 2024

McCabe says as they left the house that evening, she looked at the girls in the backseat. Jackson asks if she was purposefully not looking out the window. She says no.

Jackson asks about McCabe noticing the bed was made when she went to O'Keefe's house while he was missing. Jackson says Read was staying on the couch that night while waiting for O’Keefe.

@BienickWCVB

I agree something up with the Higgins jeep it had never been placed in front of house and now only JM and husband MM placing it in front of house despite the Ryan Nagel and friends testimony that only vehicle other than theirs was KR vehicle,

Something definitely up with that. Strange that Higgins hasn’t testified for prosecution yet and will be more interesting if doesn’t.
I'm not sure that JM testified here at least that she saw the jeep? I don't think she did...she doesn't recall or some such, she was definitely slippery as ** about it for some reason imo but it may just be willful obstructiveness but whatever... it's a very bad look. Moo

I'm not sure that JM testified here at least that she saw the jeep? I don't think she did...she doesn't recall or some such, she was definitely slippery as ** about it for some reason imo but it may just be willful obstructiveness but whatever... it's a very bad look. Moo
Idk I’m here thinking pretty much her entire testimony thus far today is willfully obstructive

Jackson hands McCabe her grand jury testimony, asks her to point out where she testifed that Read said, "I hit him." McCabe: I'm not sure if it's in the document but I know for certain she said, "I hit him.”

Jackson reads from McCabe's grand jury testimony she testified 12 times that she heard Read say, "Could I have hit him"? McCabe maintains she heard "I hit him" when an officer or EMT asked about O'Keefe's history at the scene.

Jackson: "You've manufactured this new story because you think it helps you out?" McCabe: "Absolutely not.”

Jackson plays a portion of 911 call where McCabe tells dispatcher, "He got out of the car."

@BienickWCVB

@TedDanielnews

JM says she told 911 “he got out of the car” because she says Karen Read told her that.

10:51 AM · May 21, 2024

Jackson wants to introduce 3rd party recording of 911 call from JM's voicemail. ADA Lally has no objection.Jackson says a good time to break because defense is pulling up the call. Jury excused for morning recess. These usually last about 20 minutes.

10:55 AM · May 21, 2024

#KarenRead Good morning from Day 15 of testimony. We expect defense attorneys to cross examine Jen McCabe this morning. On Friday, McCabe testified Read asked her to Google hypothermia AFTER O'Keefe was found. The defense will challenge the timing of that search.

Court begins without the jury present and a sidebar.

The jury enters and Jen McCabe retakes the witness stand.

Alan Jackson begins cross-examination of Jen McCabe. He makes the point that neither O'Keefe nor Read were related to the Alberts and McCabes.

Jackson plays surveillance video from outside Waterfall bar showing Jen McCabe, O'Keefe and Read.

McCabe says she asked Read to come with her to 34 Fairview because her husband and O'Keefe were still inside.

Jackson wants to make the point that she was trying to "separate" O'Keefe and Read. She says no because they were all going to the same place.

"I'm not asking for your explanation," Jackson says. "You'll get to that with Mr. Lally.”

Jackson repeatedly asks if she was trying to separate the couple. She says no. Lally objects. Judge sustains.

Jackson is now asking about where Higgins' Jeep was when they arrived at 34 Fairview Rd. "I drove down the street and turned left into the driveway and there was a jeep there," McCabe says.

Jackson points her husband Matt testified the same thing. "Does he know where the jeep was because you told him what to say," Jackson asks. McCabe: No.

Jackson is now asking about McCabe's interview with Trooper Proctor on Jan 29th. McCabe and Jackson are talking over each other. The court reporter can't follow. Judge asks them to slow down.

Jackson is now asking about where Read's SUV was outside the house. "I 100 percent said it was straight out the front door," McCabe says.

Jackson: You placed the jeep in the exact spot where you now say there was a jeep. McCabe: You are not portraying what the conversation was.

Jackson is now asking if she's spoken with Alberts about the case. McCabe: Of course I speak to them about the harassment we are all receiving. Jackson: I understand you want to add editorializing but that's not what I asked.

"I'm asking the questions. This is how it works," Jackson says.

Jackson wants to imply the witnesses coordinated their stories by talking about the case. McCabe says they talk but mainly about the "vicious harassment.”

Jackson is now asking the about the Life360 app on her daughter Allie's cell phone and the data extraction.

Jackson: So where did Allie go after she supposedly dropped off Colin? McCabe: She went nowhere.

Jackson is now asking McCabe about when she entered Brian and Nicole's bedroom to inform them about what happened to O'Keefe. Jackson: Where was their dog Chloe? McCabe: I never saw the dog.

Jackson is now back to asking about where the vehicles were parked outside the house. "I am not certain where Brian's jeep was," McCabe says.

This exchange feels like a fencing match with Jackson and McCabe both lunging and weaving. The topics keep changing.

Jackson: Read's SUV had to be there 4-5 minutes before you noticed it? McCabe: Yes.

McCabe says she remembers seeing tire tracks after Read's vehicle left. Says they were "kind of like a wave.”

Previous witnesses have described Jen McCabe as being calm under pressure. And so far she seems not to be flustered by Jackson's questions. At points she's even smiling.

"Miss McCabe you can't interrupt when I talk," Jackson says.

Jacksons is now asking about McCabe's texts to O'Keefe outside the house and how many times she looked out the window.

McCabe on how many times she looked out the window: "Maybe I used the wrong wording." Jackson: "Maybe.”

Read looks at McCabe while she's testifying but the two of them seem to avoid eye contact during pauses. McCabe repeatedly looks over the O'Keefe family.
McCabe says she didn't see anything unusual about the SUV and never heard anything unusual like screaming, an engine revving, etc.

McCabe says she had a "clear view" of the SUV. Jackson asks, "Where was the body?”

Jacksons wants to make the point that if McCabe saw the SUV she would have seen a body on the front yard. "Do you think you'd see if there was an alligator in front of me?”

Jackson asks about McCabe noticing the bed was made when she went to O'Keefe's house while he was missing. Jackson says Read was staying on the couch that night while waiting for O’Keefe.

McCabe says as they left the house that evening, she looked at the girls in the backseat. Jackson asks if she was purposefully not looking out the window. She says no.
Jackson hands McCabe her grand jury testimony, asks her to point out where she testifed that Read said, "I hit him." McCabe: I'm not sure if it's in the document but I know for certain she said, "I hit him.”

Jackson reads from McCabe's grand jury testimony she testified 12 times that she heard Read say, "Could I have hit him"? McCabe maintains she heard "I hit him" when an officer or EMT asked about O'Keefe's history at the scene.

Jackson: "You've manufactured this new story because you think it helps you out?" McCabe: "Absolutely not.”

Jackson plays a portion of 911 call where McCabe tells dispatcher, "He got out of the car."

@BienickWCVB

Why are they trying so hard to put Brian Higgins' jeep in front of the Alberts house, parked next to the mailbox the night? It seems like only a few people saw it (Matt and Jenn McCabe). What is the purpose of pushing this narrative? Have I missed something?

@SueNBCBoston

We are listening to a recording now.
You can hear the windshield wipers.
Yelling in the background.
The start of J McCabe making the 911 call.
This is a voicemail hearing the 911 call

11:24 AM · May 21, 2024

This was made in the car.
Is this true and correct
- I’d have to listen to it
Do you hear a person in the background screaming?
Who is it?
-Karen Read

@SueNBCBoston

The court was already tense from this morning’s cross. The ominous sound of the wipers and screaming make it sound like a horror movie, only worse because it’s real.

11:27 AM · May 21, 2024

Why are they trying so hard to put Brian Higgins' jeep in front of the Alberts house, parked next to the mailbox the night? It seems like only a few people saw it (Matt and Jenn McCabe). What is the purpose of pushing this narrative? Have I missed something?
Right... wouldn't karen have hit his vehicle if things happened they way commonwealth says it did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX