MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting discussion tonight on Vinnie's show (Kenneth Kinsey from Murdaugh trial was on), spoke about reversing vehicle and safety feature I inquired about last night.

The prosecution got out from the SIL that Karen said he was cheating and they were arguing leading up to his death. The Aruba fight is a big factor in the prosecution’s case. The victim’s niece and nephew and other relatives will testify about this argument. The state of mind of the defendant is key to showing motive. Of course it’s impossible for the state to prove what she was thinking and they’re not required to prove motive but it helps a lot if they can. Especially in a case like this. The prosecution’s theory is she was mad and triggered by him wanting to end the relationship.

IMO the frame-up defense is dead in the water. All these little details defy Occam’s razor. (The paramedic testifying that she said “I hit him” “I hit him” over and over pretty much kills the frame up defense on the 1st day of trial) There will be a lot of useless expert testimony from defense I’m sure. Ugh. They should’ve just went with she didn’t know she hit him or it was an accident. The defense should’ve been “it’s ludicrous to suggest she murdered him.” Beating the murder rap should’ve been the priority.

JMO

There is a huge discordance between what I emotionally feel about KR and what logic dictates.

Concerning KR, I think we all see and notice the same. Could it have happened the way the prosecution describes it? Yes. But there is no plan, no profit, and if KR hit JO with her car and left, it was a drunk, impulsive hit. MOO - two years ago, KR was a 41-year-old attractive woman, likely, not without own means. JO, a Boston cop in his mid- 40-es, kind-hearted but with obvious problems, was not such a big catch. You have to be in love with him to play family. KR was commuting, spending time with his kids, befriending his family. I don’t view her as a happy defendant now. KR might be a somewhat elated defendant, but if she, indeed, hit him, then KR is living with heavy moral consequences of having snapped, and I don’t envy her.

And now using logic. Trooper Michael Proctor neither entered Albert’s house, nor interrogated anyone else present at the crime scene immediately upon arrival. He texted to his friends that he wouldn’t because they were cops. We still don’t know if JO entered BA’s house. I hope we shall find out, but the fact that the public still doesn’t know is telling. But what we do know is that Michael Proctor never walked into BA’s house that morning. KR’s car, BA’s house, the body in front of it - to me, they are parts of the crime scene. For MP, however, the house was off-limits, which is very suspicious. There might have been a reason why MP didn’t want to enter that house. It was not even a botched investigation, there was no investigation at all.

KR’s drinking at that bar screams “habitual” to me, however, the other players were not AA buddies, either. Some were at the same watering hole, others, in BA house, everyone probably got drunk equally fast and could have been as disinhibited as KR.

It's not "a quip". It's a violation of her constitutional rights. See the 4th amendment. I have no doubt the Commonwealth is beside itself knowing how many criminal cases might be in jeopardy thanks to this guy.

100% agree. Annie Dookhan, a chemist in a toxicology lab in Massachusetts, instantly comes to mind.

There is a huge discordance between what I emotionally feel about KR and what logic dictates.

Concerning KR, I think we all see and notice the same. Could it have happened the way the prosecution describes it? Yes. But there is no plan, no profit, and if KR hit JO with her car and left, it was a drunk, impulsive hit. MOO - two years ago, KR was a 41-year-old attractive woman, likely, not without own means. JO, a Boston cop in his mid- 40-es, kind-hearted but with obvious problems, was not such a big catch. You have to be in love with him to play family. KR was commuting, spending time with his kids, befriending his family. I don’t view her as a happy defendant now. KR might be a somewhat elated defendant, but if she, indeed, hit him, then KR is living with heavy moral consequences of having snapped, and I don’t envy her.

And now using logic. Trooper Michael Proctor neither entered Albert’s house, nor interrogated anyone else present at the crime scene immediately upon arrival. He texted to his friends that he wouldn’t because they were cops. We still don’t know if JO entered BA’s house. I hope we shall find out, but the fact that the public still doesn’t know is telling. But what we do know is that Michael Proctor never walked into BA’s house that morning. KR’s car, BA’s house, the body in front of it - to me, they are parts of the crime scene. For MP, however, the house was off-limits, which is very suspicious. There might have been a reason why MP didn’t want to enter that house. It was not even a botched investigation, there was no investigation at all.

KR’s drinking at that bar screams “habitual” to me, however, the other players were not AA buddies, either. Some were at the same watering hole, others, in BA house, everyone probably got drunk equally fast and could have been as disinhibited as KR.
I am also leaning towards fit of rage in the moment snapped kinda thing. I agree he was not a catch and she had likely a lot of resentment built up. I’m betting she’s not much of a catch either. Her behavior afterwards suggests personality disorder and is consistent with those who kill their spouses. Her demeanor in the courtroom to me is also indicative of someone with a PD. She has devalued John and is not sorry. This wasn’t some accidental bump. Drunk and enraged she meant to do it. That’s murder. I hope she’s found guilty. JMO

A fit of rage and decided to murder him by 3 point turn on a police officer's lawn! Even without the mountain of dodginess involved in the investigation the injuries alone will be enough to acquit.

My jaw will hit the floor if the jury comes back with a guilty verdict.

Good morning.Day 3 of testimony at the #KarenRead trial starts today at 9 am.I’m inside the courtroom and will be posting updates on this thread.You can watch the trial here on @NBC10Boston @NECN
https://t.co/bARCdaWxd1

The #KarenRead case has become a national spectacle, but at its core the trial and death of Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe is a tragedy for all the families involved.Watch the latest episode of “Canton Confidential” here:

2 more spectators join the #KarenRead section.The coordinated pink - suits, ties, etc, with more work formal outfits is visually striking.Sounds like the zoom app is being opened, The rest of the prosecution has entered the courtroom.

John OKeefe’s family and friends have entered.Also dressed for court, mostly in blue.11 by my count.They sit on left side of the courtroom across from the jury

This courtroom is so small that Judge Cannone must walk through the media area from her chambers to the bench.There are 10 members of the media.Court officers politely moving us around to make it easier for her to navigate to the bench.

Court is in session.Judge giving lesson in how to consider testimony.Now explain the videos being shown are evidence, and it’s the juror’s job to decide what they are seeing and hearing, not the judge’s job, or lawyers’ job.

Canton firefighter Anthony Flematti returns to the stand. Prosecutor Lally begins, asking Flematti to describe arriving at the scene.

@SueNBCBoston

While Lally asks Flematti about SOP & the weather, I’ll share, based on my observation, what the juror makeup is:
There are 17 jurors.
7 men, 10 women
2 of the men appear to be Asian
The rest appear to be White, although 2 of the women may be Black, Latino.

Age is tougher to determine, but I think about 8 are under 40, no one looks older than 50s.
Again, this is guess made on observation.
About 300 jurors were interviewed.

Lt. Flematti speaks succinctly about emergency medicine and traumatic injuries. Says 4 to 6 inches of snow and JO was missing a shoe.

Lt. Flematti speaking about KR at scene: "She seemed to be the one most personally affected by it"... "Most distressed on scene”

Lt. Flematti says she heard KR say "I hit him, I hit him, Oh my god, I hit him... she just keep repeating it over and over again"

@TedDanielnews

Flematti answers that #KarenRead was the most upset of the women on the scene.He says Read was “attempting” to do CPR but her behavior was erratic. She was running around.Flematti testifies that Read said “I hit him, I hit him. Oh my god I hit him” repeatedly.

Flematti says his conversation with #KarenRead happened while the equipment was being taken out of the ambulance.

Flematti is now reading a list of all the medical interventions they used at the scene on OKeefe.

@SueNBCBoston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member