MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why this case got 500 tips? It seems like a rural area. Is there one super creepy dude that hundreds of people called in, or is everyone calling in ex husbands?

When they reported that they were familiar with the area, I really think they just mean this person of interest is local. That in itself is shocking.

Maybe it said intimate details. Sounds like someone connected to that specific land where she was found

Does anyone know why this case got 500 tips? It seems like a rural area. Is there one super creepy dude that hundreds of people called in, or is everyone calling in ex husbands?

I wonder the same thing. One reason could be that LE told the public to look for a man with injuries (scratches/bruises). Maybe there are a lot out there. I know I can't go anywhere now without looking at the arms and face of every man I encounter.

Example of a killer who was extremely tech savvy: Gilgo State Park / Long Island Serial Killer who still hasn't been caught, operated for many years, profiled as working in IT / being very good with computers, even thought to collect victims' cell phones as trophies. Yet, it can be argued that these were crimes of opportunity - maybe a different, but similar kind. The killer sought his victims out via Craigslist, but profilers have said he probably only killed ones who he knew were convenient (they think he went to extreme lengths to decide who to go after using voice stress analysis in phone interactions).

Side note: I do not think the LISK carried out either attack, but am providing an example of a tech savvy killer that is recent and within close proximity to these crimes.

I disagree about making a generalization like that, especially since nowadays, almost everyone has a smart phone and/or access to a computer. But I do think that you're right in pointing out that we don't and will probably never have access to the data on each woman's phone (unless it's released to the public). However, these are still interesting and possible theories (until proved wrong). I enjoy reading this forum because so many different people bring unique perspectives to the case - from locals to detectives to young women who can identify with the victims and so on.

:welcome:
to

Websleuths,

:cheer:SleuthVT !!!:cheer:

We're glad you're here !!!
:party:

Maybe it said intimate details. Sounds like someone connected to that specific land where she was found

Heavy.com seemed to report it a little differently and I think they added some minor details that weren't completely accurate. (Like calling the woods a park for instance). The original article didn't say anything that implied anything more than it being someone who is familiar with the area.

It is all private property along that road. You would not be able to escape out "the back way" but I do think that if you were pulled in there you would not be noticed.

LE may possibly have their suspect and are simply awaiting testing results, funerals to respectfully be over and more evidence to obtain. It isn't unusual for LE and prosecutors to want an open shut case. That often means gathering more information/evidence and holding off in an arrest with survelance in place. That being said there are countless scenarios that would work with this murder from a motorcycle purposely dumped to offer an alibi and explanation for cuts and bruising to an ex boyfriend or an obsessive person from the past that saw her the night before when she was having dinner with her father at a local restaurant. She grew up in the area and probably knew countless individuals who lived in the area. The burning of her body is gruesome and troublesome but possibly just represents an attempt by someone ,not familiar with forensics to destroy DNA. It sounds like perhaps the perimeters of her body lit (Head, hands, feet ). I have no idea what the extent of the burns were but in my opinion the perp left and the fire went out before she burned completely. Serial Killer ? Perhaps but I think this person knew her or certainly had seen her before, he's local, familiar. Opportunist definitely, random unlikely. That being said there was a serial killer years ago in the South ( Florida I believe ) that would randomly drive around looking for girls walking. A book was written I believe called " When I See A Girl Walking ". Monday Morning Sleuthing is just opinions of would could/ could not have happened. My opinion in no way implies the motorcyclist is guilty of anything but a spill on a bike or that an ex boyfriend targeted this individual. Respectfully Crime Forums are just ideas, people coming together to discuss a tragedy and possibly a resolution. Hopefully the person will be caught, confess and the community can rest. But sadly the Marcotte family may never have that peace again. Thoughts, Prayers and heartfelt condolences to the Marcotte family, friends and community.

Are these properties with acreage that is used for hunting during the season or smaller parcels of land with homes? Any farm land?

jmop

LE may possibly have their suspect and are simply awaiting testing results, funerals to respectfully be over and more evidence to obtain. It isn't unusual for LE and prosecutors to want an open shut case. That often means gathering more information/evidence and holding off in an arrest with survelance in place. That being said there are countless scenarios that would work with this murder from a motorcycle purposely dumped to offer an alibi and explanation for cuts and bruising to an ex boyfriend or an obsessive person from the past that saw her the night before when she was having dinner with her father at a local restaurant. She grew up in the area and probably knew countless individuals who lived in the area. The burning of her body is gruesome and troublesome but possibly just represents an attempt by someone ,not familiar with forensics to destroy DNA. It sounds like perhaps the perimeters of her body lit (Head, hands, feet ). I have no idea what the extent of the burns were but in my opinion the perp left and the fire went out before she burned completely. Serial Killer ? Perhaps but I think this person knew her or certainly had seen her before, he's local, familiar. Opportunist definitely, random unlikely. That being said there was a serial killer years ago in the South ( Florida I believe ) that would randomly drive around looking for girls walking. A book was written I believe called " When I See A Girl Walking ". Monday Morning Sleuthing is just opinions of would could/ could not have happened. My opinion in no way implies the motorcyclist is guilty of anything but a spill on a bike or that an ex boyfriend targeted this individual. Respectfully Crime Forums are just ideas, people coming together to discuss a tragedy and possibly a resolution. Hopefully the person will be caught, confess and the community can rest. But sadly the Marcotte family may never have that peace again. Thoughts, Prayers and heartfelt condolences to the Marcotte family, friends and community.

Welcome to WS. Are you local to Vanessa's case?

Are these properties with acreage that is used for hunting during the season or smaller parcels of land with homes? Any farm land?

jmop

A property map was posted last night. Not sure it's still here.

We can't sleuth people not named as POI, but the map showed that the land in the area in general is owned in large parcels.

hth

jmop

I don't believe that area is hunted regularly. I could be wrong but I never heard any of my hunting friends mention that area. No farm land in that immediate area. It is very dense woodland with houses spread out.

The town has farmland, but not around this specific area, just lots of wooded lots with many acres. Yes, hunting is popular in town. The area she was found has some very nice, large, and well kept homes with long-time residents. Most with kids long since married and moved out.

Makes sense. Funeral is Tuesday.

Oh, my -- just this comment...

My eyes just kind of fixated on the word, "funeral." How fast things can change. SMH. This is just so awful for the families of both those young women. They were here, big as life, with good jobs and standing on solid ground. And poof, now they are not. Oh, life is so precious and fragile.

(Please excuse, I just had a thing there.)

I

Thank you locals for your insight.
I just want to express how sorry I am that your community is suffering through this tragedy.

jmo

:Welcome1:

to

Websleuths,

:star2:Oddmomout!!!:star2:

We're glad you're with us!!!

:thewave:

DM is pretty good on crime stories these days, seem to get stuff that turns out to be true...jmo

A property map was posted last night. Not sure it's still here.

We can't sleuth people not named as POI, but the map showed that the land in the area in general is owned in large parcels.

hth

Here is a link to the Town of Princeton Assessors maps:
http://www.cmrpc.org/GIS/princeton/Princeton_AssessorMaps.htm
The map that contains the area where Vanessa's body was found is map 12:
http://www.cmrpc.org/GIS/princeton/Princeton_Assessor_Maps_36x23_5_12.pdf
(Please do not sleuth or repost names of property owners).
You will see Connor Lane ending left of center and continuing south by two dotted lines that represent the old road and this is visible in fall/winter satellite images as two straight parallel lines (remnants of the old dry stone walls that bordered the road).

I made a case map last night but didn't post it as I was hoping the case had come to a speedy arrest. There's not much on it, but I'm happy to add the cell tower and jogging routes if known:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nIRq-XXrkEXpsON3jsK8fqod0u0&usp=sharing

Been lurking for a few days and finally got approval to join today. I love the sharing of information and hunches. I was born and raised in Princeton and lived there for over thirty years. Any local knowledge that I can share I would be happy to do so.

:wagon:

to

:drumroll:Websleuths,:drumroll:

Mountain man!!!!

It's great to have you with us!!!

:fireworks:

Oh, my -- just this comment...

My eyes just kind of fixated on the word, "funeral." How fast things can change. SMH. This is just so awful for the families of both those young women. They were here, big as life, with good jobs and standing on solid ground. And poof, now they are not. Oh, life is so precious and fragile.

(Please excuse, I just had a thing there.)

I

Today I drove by the cemetery she'll be buried in on Tuesday. It really hit me too.

Found this from earlier today, thank you to the original poster who at the moment I am unsure of.
64 Brooks Station Rd
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d42.4378056!4d-71.88875

The property in the link looks like the property in a picture from this article: http://www.masslive.com/news/worces...vanessa_marcotte_killer.html#incart_big-photo (i.e. the picture with the caption, "A view from the road into the woods where Marcotte's body was found".). I don't see a stonewall, and the paved drop off from the image of the link you provided looks like the paved drop offs from a few of the driveways on Brooks Station Road.

I also believe it could be someone who Vanessa knew, and found it interesting that her cell phone was missing. Also, why are people saying she went for a jog, when a few of the articles I've read, including this one: http://www.telegram.com/article/20160808/NEWS/160809371, state she went for a walk? Is it possible she went for a walk to meet someone she knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname