MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough but for the record you keep using the word blame and I am not blaming these people of anything. they are not responsible for what happened. I just wish people would pay more attention. people just don't pay attention to things and you can excuse it as much as you want but it's a fact of life. Drive 50 miles on the mass pike and see how many people's eyes are not on the road. It's annoying.

I have to agree with you for a couple of different reasons. It's actually amazing to me how many non-Princeton people (but still locals) didn't follow this case, and how many people in Westborough/Northborough were unaware that there was an attempted assault in their town. We are in a bubble here on the internet, and then when I would mention either case IRL, I was often met with, "Huh?" This was shocking to me! Some people are really just oblivious to what is going on around them. I don't get it.
Secondly, the fact that NO ONE thought of the Fed Ex guy as being a possibility pisses me off. Pay attention people. I'm not assigning blame to this young woman or to anyone in particular. Other people worked in this post office too. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned I thought it could be a delivery driver. You know why? I work in an office, and we have a lot of delivery drivers coming through. For a while, a UPS driver was making derogatory comments to me and my coworkers. Sometimes political, sometimes sexual. We were easy targets, because he was just "passing through". I told a supervisor, and you bet I called UPS! It wasn't difficult to do my due diligence, and it was handled by UPS. So I'm having a hard time not thinking, "WHAT THE HECK?!"

The information about the race of the perp was released on Feb 23, over 6 months after the murder, long after the postal worker left her job. A month or so after releasing that information they were collecting his DNA.

When she *saw his picture published* (note: not name, but seeing his picture), she recognized the arrested guy as the FedEx guy who serviced the postal office she used to work at. That's not suspicious, that's how it works when you get news like that.

You followed this case closely, perhaps more than closely. None of us know if anyone who came into contact with this guy followed updates of the case to the extent it's being assumed they did (or should have).

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcester/index.ssf/2017/02/timeline_the_investigation_of_1.html

Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017

The first description of a person of interest in Marcotte's killing is released. Early describes him as a Hispanic or Latino man about 30 years old, with an athletic build and with short hair or a shaved head at the time of the murder.

And the DNA snapshot composite from Parabon Labs was NOT released to the public in February 2017- only a verbal – written description of what the suspect looked like.
Moo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have to agree with you for a couple of different reasons. It's actually amazing to me how many non-Princeton people (but still locals) didn't follow this case, and how many people in Westborough/Northborough were unaware that there was an attempted assault in their town. We are in a bubble here on the internet, and then when I would mention either case IRL, I was often met with, "Huh?" This was shocking to me! Some people are really just oblivious to what is going on around them. I don't get it.
Secondly, the fact that NO ONE thought of the Fed Ex guy as being a possibility pisses me off. Pay attention people. I'm not assigning blame to this young woman or to anyone in particular. Other people worked in this post office too. Earlier in this thread, I mentioned I thought it could be a delivery driver. You know why? I work in an office, and we have a lot of delivery drivers coming through. For a while, a UPS driver was making derogatory comments to me and my coworkers. Sometimes political, sometimes sexual. We were easy targets, because he was just "passing through". I told a supervisor, and you bet I called UPS! It wasn't difficult to do my due diligence, and it was handled by UPS. So I'm having a hard time not thinking, "WHAT THE HECK?!"

THANK YOU. It all seems pretty simple to me. thought I was alone there for a minute. Nice to know that I'm not. It should not have taken this long to identify a Hispanic FedEx driver in Princeton as a person of interest!!!!!

Suspect wore a long-sleeve shirt, wonder if he is tatted. May help with other investigations. Also, his attorney appears to be pretty sharp. I wonder if they are holding off on murder charge in case he had an accomplice.

Weirdly, that Facebook page with Vanessa's name is no longer being published. Perhaps a coincidence.

Early (DA) really needs to watch himself. "We got him" comment was a mistake. He comes across as a politician more than anything. I hope he shuts up.

Delivery driver makes perfect sense...

It does not matter what his race is, it is part of a description. No different then saying blonde hair, green eyes...It does not make one racist, it is about trying to apprehend a perpetrator. In this case, the description was that of a Hispanic male...

I hope LE videotaped all interactions with Colon (whatever he chooses to call himself). I do not believe that he needs an interpreter nor did he understand what was going on in terms of giving a sample of his DNA. I think the defense is going to play that for all its worth. I would also bet that the prosecution could find enough witness to verify he understands and is able to communicate in English. As for his PR drivers liscense, it is very possible he also has one in issued in MA under a different name (so he could gain employment).

As for charging him, they will most likely charge him on the lower counts until evidence comes back and then amend the charges to the higher counts. They will make sure they charge him on the lowest counts that ensure no bail.

In this case I have a gut feeling with the DNA there is a strong possibility that he might be linked to other crimes. I believe his attornies probably feel this is also a strong possibility and this is why they are fighting to have another lab test it and also contesting the admissibility of the test due to the issue of language barrier

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

It does not matter what his race is, it is part of a description. No different then saying blonde hair, green eyes...It does not make one racist, it is about trying to apprehend a perpetrator. In this case, the description was that of a Hispanic male...

I hope LE videotaped all interactions with Colon (whatever he chooses to call himself). I do not believe that he needs an interpreter nor did he understand what was going on in terms of giving a sample of his DNA. I think the defense is going to play that for all its worth. I would also bet that the prosecution could find enough witness to verify he understands and is able to communicate in English. As for his PR drivers liscense, it is very possible he also has one in issued in MA under a different name (so he could gain employment).

As for charging him, they will most likely charge him on the lower counts until evidence comes back and then amend the charges to the higher counts. They will make sure they charge him on the lowest counts that ensure no bail.

In this case I have a gut feeling with the DNA there is a strong possibility that he might be linked to other crimes. I believe his attornies probably feel this is also a strong possibility and this is why they are fighting to have another lab test it and also contesting the admissibility of the test due to the issue of language barrier

I agree with all of that except for the last part about the DNA. I don't see any chance of his DNA being on record with other cases because I would tend to believe that law-enforcement would already have made the connection between those cases and Vanessa's case (they already had his DNA from the scene- they didn't need to know who it came from to compare it with other cases). which would have provided evidence to leave them in Ortiz's direction. I don't think this guys DNA is documented in any other case or at least not in any local case.

I agree with you that Vanessa's brutal rape and murder was likely not his first crime. Possibly it may have been the first time he escalated to murder. I strongly suspect he raped in MA and Puerto Rico before. Does anyone know where he lived in PR? The facial composite I posted earlier of the Santurce, PR rapist looks similar to Ortiz.

Moo

I agree with you that Vanessa's brutal rape and murder was likely not his first crime. Possibly it may have been the first time he escalated to murder. I strongly suspect he raped in MA and Puerto Rico before. Does anyone know where he lived in PR? The facial composite I posted earlier of the Santurce, PR rapist looks similar to Ortiz.

Moo

Unfortunately when translating the article (if I got that part correct) it stated that the police in PR were unable to obtain genetic material from the rapist in the two crimes there.
Moo

Interesting thought- and perhaps it was his motivation to leave PR for the US!

After the police released the information that this person was Hispanic, suspect pool dwindled to about a dozen people. Maybe less. You have to know Princeton to understand what I mean. Theres virtually no diversity here. Had this been worcester, I'd agree with you. But it wasn't. It was Princeton. UnFortunately for law-enforcement even though it would've been really easy for someone to say hey I worked with a Hispanic guy who actually made some inappropriate sexual comments when I saw him periodically in Princeton, nobody did that.
Think about this for a minute.
The public had two clues.
1) Driving a dark SUV.
2) Hispanic male.
The people at the post office only had one to go on.
I'd be willing to bet that if this guy was delivering packages in a dark SUV that the phone would have been ringing off the hook at the Police Dept 5 minutes after the second clue was released.
There may have been a few either at the Post Office, or on this guys route that thought for a second that he could have been the guy,but there are other variables that may have dismissed the thought.
Like for example, as stated, this happened on a Sunday, or Fed-x screens their help so he can't be a criminal, etc.
There are also things that we know now, that we didn't last week. We know now that he has no previous run in's with the law, and I think many may have thought this guy is and always has been trouble. You wouldn't be working for Fed-x, because you have to be bondable.
The sharper the focus, the better the aim.
I'll bet the reason that State Policeman spotted this guy was because he was assigned to the task force working this case, and I'd be willing to bet that if you took 100 State Police that were not, place them at that same spot he may have driven back and forth all day long, and never once been spotted.

Think about this for a minute.
The public had two clues.
1) Driving a dark SUV.
2) Hispanic male.
The people at the post office only had one to go on.
I'd be willing to bet that if this guy was delivering packages in a dark SUV that the phone would have been ringing off the hook at the Police Dept 5 minutes after the second clue was released.
There may have been a few either at the Post Office, or on this guys route that thought for a second that he could have been the guy,but there are other variables that may have dismissed the thought.
Like for example, as stated, this happened on a Sunday, or Fed-x screens their help so he can't be a criminal, etc.
There are also things that we know now, that we didn't last week. We know now that he has no previous run in's with the law, and I think many may have thought this guy is and always has been trouble. You wouldn't be working for Fed-x, because you have to be bondable.
The sharper the focus, the better the aim.
I'll bet the reason that State Policeman spotted this guy was because he was assigned to the task force working this case, and I'd be willing to bet that if you took 100 State Police that were not, place them at that same spot he may have driven back and forth all day long, and never once been spotted.

I do think that the Parabon DNA snapshot composite WAS released to MSP and local law enforcement even though The DAs office did not release it to the public.
JMO

As far as him understanding what was going on when asked for a DNA sample...
LE does not just ask and you give. You sign a consent form.
If this guy can read an address in English on a Fed-x package, he can read a consent form in English as well.

What in here makes you think that?
People do not start off killing in the way that Vanessa was killed. This was planned and well executed. There was very little evidence left at the scene. It was quick, he came prepared, probably had a murder kit of some type with him, probaby knew the routine of joggers in that area. The way in which she was killed was not "easy" and if it was someone's first time they most likely would have, for sake of arguement, probably left some evidence behind or been a bit sloppy. This wasn't the case.

And some additional information from the Worcester Telegram and Gazette makes it sound like the initial witness correctly identified his vehicle as a Ford Escape.

http://www.telegram.com/news/201704...ntly-disabled-suv-near-marcotte-slaying-scene

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how long he had Been working in the area? Was it a year?

It does seem possible to me that he had seen VM on his Saturday route, and was aiming for her specifically. It's equally possible, in my mind, that he was driving by at the same time that she happened to be there ( so I always wondered how this would work considering that she was only visible on the road for approximately 10 minutes before she would have came upon his vehicle at that location ).

So it would've been really bad luck for her.

in the article it does mention that his route was between 4 AM and 11 AM. Based on a review of her previous mapped runs, she did often run during that window. Often at 7 -10 am.

People do not start off killing in the way that Vanessa was killed. This was planned and well executed. There was very little evidence left at the scene. It was quick, he came prepared, probably had a murder kit of some type with him, probaby knew the routine of joggers in that area. The way in which she was killed was not "easy" and if it was someone's first time they most likely would have, for sake of arguement, probably left some evidence behind or been a bit sloppy. This wasn't the case.

Does anyone else think he was waiting for her specifically? I live in the area and that road does have occasional joggers/walkers but he parked his car 1/2 mile from her house approximately 30 minutes before she started her walk - that doesn't seem random to me.

Does anyone else think he was waiting for her specifically? I live in the area and that road does have occasional joggers/walkers but he parked his car 1/2 mile from her house approximately 30 minutes before she started her walk - that doesn't seem random to me.

See my question above.

Just as the woman at the post office recognized HIM as someone who was around town he may have known of Vanessa in a similar way.
my personal feeling with predatory behavior like this is that when he set off in a northerly direction (toward such a rural area) from Worcester presuming that's where he was living at the time he had something in mind. Perhaps A FEW possibilities (target victims). But NOT NONE.

Agree, disagree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member