MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about knowing that he was a Hispanic man driving a dark Ford Escape? Do you think LE could have gotten a list of Ford Escapes from the DMV and slowly just scoped them out? I have no idea how on-the-ground police work actually works but that tip about the vehicle was one of their best leads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right. The second it was noted he was hispanic that told me right away to focus on Worcester, just based on census.gov data. So it would make sense staties would keep eyes out in Worcester.

Do we know if LE knew they were looking for a Ford Escape? I assume they would have said so. No reason not to.

It will be interesting to see how much LE knew based on the big tip.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Early concerns me. He's just way too much of a self-promoter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lol. That only went in circles for an hour or so.
Last winter, FM and I went back and forth for about a week putting VMs cell phone location under the microscope.
I can only speak for myself, but I enjoy being open to other peoples opinions.
I said the first week I posted here that although I don't drink much, I hope some day when this is all over that we can all sit down and have a beer.
Who knows, Maybe FM and I will have one together!
It's all good.

Rocky I have enjoyed all of it. The agreements. The arguments, the debates. THE running in circles. All in search of the truth. Thanks for all the back and fourth! And for putting up with me all this time ;)

With all the people that you speak to during the week, surely it won't be too hard to get a few people to verify that Ortiz can speak English.

Just praying that they executed the DNA collection "by the book". Surely they wouldn't stuff that up, would they? They're trained professionals.
I wouldn't be worried about the DNA collection.
This isn't their first rodeo, so to speak.
Although it may be challenged, he not only agreed verbally, but also signed a consent form.
I haven't read the form, but I am sure an attorney drafted it, and it probably states that by signing this form, you agree that you understand what you are signing. (joke)

That's not racial profiling. It would be racial profiling *before* LE knew they were looking for a Hispanic male. Once tha info is know, narrowing your suspect pool is called smart LE work - even common sense.

Say for instance, I lived in a town comprised of 95% men and the surrounding area was also comprised of 95% men (I'd have to be crazy, but let's go with it!), and it was determined (eyewitness + DNA, same as this case) that a woman committed a murder in town. Well, of course, I'd expect that LE would question me and ask others in town about ANY woman who worked in town or had reason to be in town around the time of the murder. This is not "gender profiling" -- it's a common sense.

Amen !

People are way too excited to pull the race card. At a certain point skin color is a physical attribute the same way facial hair is a physical attribute or an athletic build is a physical attribute.
If it is useful in distinguishing the perpetrator from the general population then it should be used plain and simple

Right. The second it was noted he was hispanic that told me right away to focus on Worcester, just based on census.gov data. So it would make sense staties would keep eyes out in Worcester.

Do we know if LE knew they were looking for a Ford Escape? I assume they would have said so. No reason not to.

It will be interesting to see how much LE knew based on the big tip.

I know I sound like a broken record, but Early concerns me. He's just way too much of a self-promoter.

Yes, I think they were pretty sure of the vehicle make. this article says that the witness described the vehicle as a dark SUV that he thought was a Ford Escape. There may have been some room for error, but it sounds pretty certain. Maybe LE was afraid the killer would ditch the car if they released too much info?

http://www.telegram.com/news/201704...ntly-disabled-suv-near-marcotte-slaying-scene

Finally caught up on this afternoon's posts after a long day of work and dinner plans! Kept up on things this AM, but couldn't read along this afternoon. As Mainely so aptly said once, which still makes me smile: Don't you just hate when work interferes with real life?!

Some great finds from kayaker and FM. Agree that there still might be a connection between Ortiz and one or both of the attempted abductions.

The kayaker/Rocky/some others discussion -- I'm also leaning just a little toward him targeting Vanessa specifically, but he might have also known women in general run along BSR and perhaps thought that he'd come across one of interest if he waited. I am hoping we might know this at some point, but we might not ever know.

Two shout-outs:

Dot -- You're a new person to thread, but some great thoughts. Thanks. Agree with you 100% that it's unlikely this animal hasn't committed other similar crimes, at least rapes.

Embre or Embe (sorry, may be a bit off on your screenname) -- Nice job. I remembered your post from a while back about the possibility of the guy being a delivery driver. You nailed it!

Finally caught up on this afternoon's posts after a long day of work and dinner plans! Kept up on things this AM, but couldn't read along this afternoon. As Mainely so aptly said once: Don't you just hate when work interferes with real life?

Some great finds from kayaker and FM. Agree that there still might be a connection between Ortiz and one or both of the attempted abductions.

The kayaker/Rocky/some others discussion -- I'm also leaning just a little toward him targeting Vanessa specifically, but he might have also known women in general run along BSR and perhaps thought that he'd come across one if he waited. I am hoping we might know this at some point, but we might no ever know.

Two shout outs:

Dot -- You're a new person to thread, but some great thoughts. Thanks. Agree with you 100% that it's unlikely this animal hasn't committed other similar crimes, at least rapes.

Embre or Embe (sorry, may be a bit off on your screenname) -- Nice job! I remembered your post from a while back about the possibility of the guy being a delivery driver.
Knowing Brook Station Road, and knowing that day was hot (87* if I remember right), it would have been a very long wait for another jogger to come by, I would think anyway.
I also remember the post about the delivery driver. Good thought.

I, too, have been with this case from the beginning. I have read every single post of every thread. It is so good to see the accused caught and heading to plea or trial. It is so good to see so many of this community speaking again, searunner, kayaker, eucalyptuz, june...and many more. With the handles it is hard for me to name folks completely and accurately. How great it would be to have a beer! And ForensicMass you kept these threads alive when hope was waning, you went to the site, you brought empirical analysis into discussion. Thank you!

Searunner and thread members- what are your thoughts on how the DA has handled the case so far? I work in Western Mass and have been following this case for several months but recently became active in Websleuths after a broken foot forced me into mandatory medical leave from teaching. Also most MA schools on spring break this week so more time to post LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rocky I have enjoyed all of it. The agreements. The arguments, the debates. THE running in circles. All in search of the truth. Thanks for all the back and fourth! And for putting up with me all this time ;)
I don't remember many arguments, nor was it hard "putting up with you"
I look more at it as breaking down the subject into tiny pieces and having a look, seeing if it fit the puzzle. Maybe I picked your brain a little too much, but I like to know why someone thinks the way they are, so I asked you why you thought that way on any certain subject.
(And btw, there's no way he forgot had her phone in his back pocket, if she was wearing her arm band. and the phone was in it) Ha!

My fear is that Ortiz will walk because the defense attorney is already implying that his client did not understand or knowingly agree to DNA sampling. It sounds like LE may not have provided an interpreter or bilingual officer when requesting the DNA buccal swab at Ortiz's apartment. Do you all think this could allow Ortiz to walk?
CBS Boston article: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/...on-ortiz-arraignment-princeton-jogger-murder/
'Ryan said the defense has retained their own DNA expert to go over the evidence that led to Colon-Ortiz’s arrest.
'One of the things we’re going to look at very carefully is whether he knowingly, voluntarily understood what he was being asked to do, and whether or not he knowingly and voluntarily gave up a sample of his saliva,” Ryan said."

Moo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Knowing Brook Station Road, and knowing that day was hot (87* if I remember right), it would have been a very long wait for another jogger to come by, I would think anyway.
I also remember the post about the delivery driver. Good thought.

Did Vanessa visit her mother often on weekends in Princeton? I think I recall reading that in thread #6. If so, it's possible Ortiz stalked her, learning her routine, running routes etc.

Moo

How dare you talk to me like that. Not surprised though, as I saw the same type of comments to someone else.

You may have beat that horse to death, but some us were working away this afternoon and not going back and forth on this thread. So while it may seem beat to death to folks posting back and forth all afternoon, no topic is beat to death in one afternoon for most of us.

That said, I have every RIGHT to post my opinion on a topic that I have not weighed in on. Not only did I want to post my opinion for the sake of weighing in, I wanted to support FM.

Moreover, I have been an active participant on this thread, as have many -- and many others have been following very closely and occasionally posting. (Glad to see you're back kayaker!). You have not. This doesn't mean you don't have the same rights to post your opinions as do the rest of us, BUT it makes you telling me that I can't weight in *once even* on a topic in the eve just several hours after that topic was beat to death by *some of you* more egregious.

Please do not address me or my comments going forward. I play well with others, but I don't take subpar treatment.

I said with all due respect, I was not disrespecting you or treating you sub par at all. I have also followed this thread off and on, but not as closely as you. I apologize if you thought that I was talking down to you. I myself had a bad day and kept seeing the same circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Vanessa visit her mother often on weekends in Princeton? I think I recall reading that in thread #6. If so, it's possible Ortiz stalked her, learning her routine, running routes etc.

Moo

She visited her Mom, who was living with her Aunt in Princeton Bi-Monthly.
I wouldn't worry about the Defense Lawyer. He will challenge everything possible, including the witness that saw the SUV. It's all part of the process.
Then the judge will decide what evidence can be used at trial, and what can't.

Moo

I recall reading back in the beginning that she visited 1, sometimes 2 weekends per month. She usually took the bus from NYC into Worcester.

My fear is that Ortiz will walk because the defense attorney is already implying that his client did not understand or knowingly agree to DNA sampling. It sounds like LE may not have provided an interpreter or bilingual officer when requesting the DNA buccal swab at Ortiz's apartment. Do you all think this could allow Ortiz to walk?
CBS Boston article: http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/...on-ortiz-arraignment-princeton-jogger-murder/
'Ryan said the defense has retained their own DNA expert to go over the evidence that led to Colon-Ortiz’s arrest.
'One of the things we’re going to look at very carefully is whether he knowingly, voluntarily understood what he was being asked to do, and whether or not he knowingly and voluntarily gave up a sample of his saliva,” Ryan said."

Moo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

I'm going to remain optimistic. The first time the police officer stopped by Ortiz's house he wasn't there but I recall that the officer spoke with his wife. Hopefully that interaction would have prompted the officer to return with an interpreter, if needed. And, multiple investigators were there for the actual Dna collection.

She visited her Mom, who was living with her Aunt in Princeton Bi-Monthly.
I wouldn't worry about the Defense Lawyer. He will challenge everything possible, including the witness that saw the SUV. It's all part of the process.
Then the judge will decide what evidence can be used at trial, and what can't.

A good sign the judge kept bail at $10MM. <mod snip>

The witness (who first spotted the SUV with the hood open at 12:45pm) then again drove past and spotted the unoccupied SUV (this time with the hood shut and the windows shut) at 2:20pm. If we take that at face value, the SUV was parked there on BSR for more than an hour and a half. I'm starting to think Ortiz is more than a risk-taking, over-confident psychopath...he's actually stupid and (for 8 months) very lucky.

I'm going to remain optimistic. The first time the police officer stopped by Ortiz's house he wasn't there but I recall that the officer spoke with his wife. Hopefully that interaction would have prompted the officer to return with an interpreter, if needed. And, multiple investigators were there for the actual Dna collection.

Me, too! I share your optimism. He's going down!

Understanding and obeying the law is the citizen's responsibility. Ignorance of the law does not secure a not guilty verdict in America. As long as his attorney understands DNA, he can attempt to challenge its admissibility; however, I trust LE in this matter, in that they did not mess up their case by not assuring the alleged killer understood his rights. "We got him!"

He should have never agreed to the buccal swab without an attorney. If he waived his right, so shall it be written. His DNA should not be anywhere on VMs body or clothing. He can pull his wild card "I know nothing." But, the jury will see him for the perverted monster that he is.

Is it far too soon to be concerned about possible legal troubles that may arise down the road? Let us first relish and marvel in the manner in which LE caught this cold blooded killer who viciously murdered and burned a gorgeous, petite, sweet, generous, young lady named VM.

May her family, friends and loved ones find themselves bestowed with Peace. Their journey is not over.

A good sign the judge kept bail at $10MM. Praying he's not some bleeding hearted lib

When Bail is set, it is supposed to fit the crime and circumstances based on the defendants background. It is supposed to be a non bias decision, and not determined by how guilty or non guilty the judge may think he is.
10 million is extremely high for the charges he has been charged with.
He has no past criminal record.
The only think that I can think of is that the judge determined he was a flight risk.
I am surprised and wonder why he still hasn't been charged with murder. His days of being questioned by LE are over.
If he was charged, He could have been held without Bail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daz1975