Madeleine McCann General Discussion Thread No. 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please forgive my laziness friends....I have posted primarily on the General Discussion thread when the Mari Luz Cortes article would have been better posted on another thread, and the dam searches also.

I promise to be more diligent. I am just weary.....

And I am very, very sad.
Don't worry, colomom - most of us read all the threads! You do a great job of keeping the news posted!:blowkiss:

Maybe,maybe not but we can hope surely?

I think it would be a disservice to Maddie to hope she was being treated like a princess. No treatment for any child would be better than being at home with her parents and siblings, in her own room, in her own town.

I do believe that thinking that Madeleine is being well treated is a luxury we give ourselves because it is so difficult and painful to think of the alternative.

I understand what you are saying--we hope that she is not being mistreated--but it is rooted in a kind of denial.

Madeleine, if kidnapped, was probably mistreated badly before being killed. If she is alive, she is, based on the experience of other kidnapped children, being mistreated even if the only thing is she is not being allowed to go home. In and of itself, that is a cruelty beyond belief for children.

We are always better for facing reality, no matter how difficult and painful it is.

I think it would be a disservice to Maddie to hope she was being treated like a princess. No treatment for any child would be better than being at home with her parents and siblings, in her own room, in her own town.

I do believe that thinking that Madeleine is being well treated is a luxury we give ourselves because it is so difficult and painful to think of the alternative.

I understand what you are saying--we hope that she is not being mistreated--but it is rooted in a kind of denial.

Madeleine, if kidnapped, was probably mistreated badly before being killed. If she is alive, she is, based on the experience of other kidnapped children, being mistreated even if the only thing is she is not being allowed to go home. In and of itself, that is a cruelty beyond belief for children.

We are always better for facing reality, no matter how difficult and painful it is.

As always Tex, you floor me.....
:blowkiss:

Reality Yes......but we don't know the reality other than Madeleine is still missing. At this time all we have is hope so there's nothing wrong with hoping she is being treated well no matter how small the chance.

If Madeleine is alive, I wonder how "reality" is being explained to her? Has she been told her parents are dead or they don't care enough to search for her? In that case, her "reality" is that she feels lost and is probably crying herself to sleep. Maybe she blames herself, or thinks she is somehow bad? No manner of "good treatment" could erase those feelings, and she is old enough and has too many memories to just forget her past.

It's true that "where there is life, there is hope," and children "thankfully forget things quickly," but when I put myself empathetically in Maddie's place, I would want to go home to my Mommy, see my Daddy and siblings, and then I'd want someone to lock the door (this time) and keep me safe.

If Madeleine is alive, I wonder how "reality" is being explained to her? Has she been told her parents are dead or they don't care enough to search for her? In that case, her "reality" is that she feels lost and is probably crying herself to sleep. Maybe she blames herself, or thinks she is somehow bad? No manner of "good treatment" could erase those feelings, and she is old enough and has too many memories to just forget her past.

It's true that "where there is life, there is hope," and children "thankfully forget things quickly," but when I put myself empathetically in Maddie's place, I would want to go home to my Mommy, see my Daddy and siblings, and then I'd want someone to lock the door (this time) and keep me safe.
ThoughtFox as we don't know the "reality" of what has happened to Madeleine the "If" of her reality is speculation. I think it's perfectly natural to worry about what she may have or is suffering. Just as it's perfectly natural not to want to give up on hope for her. Sadly at this point it really is all we have.

Kidnapping children is not a "hopeful" occupation, and I don't think I understand why we should assume that the kidnapper/pedophile would be treating her "well." By definition such a person has to be up to no good in the first place. It's not that we should "give up hope," april4sky - it's just reality that children who are snatched from their parents don't have a happy time or a picnic. Criminals who do that are not going to love that child, and it's just magical thinking to believe otherwise.

They are diving in the reservoir again today:

http://portugalresident.com/portugalresident/showstory.asp?ID=25209

Kidnapping children is not a "hopeful" occupation, and I don't think I understand why we should assume that the kidnapper/pedophile would be treating her "well." By definition such a person has to be up to no good in the first place. It's not that we should "give up hope," april4sky - it's just reality that children who are snatched from their parents don't have a happy time or a picnic. Criminals who do that are not going to love that child, and it's just magical thinking to believe otherwise.

They are diving in the reservoir again today:

http://portugalresident.com/portugalresident/showstory.asp?ID=25209
I agree ThoughtFox. I've racked my brain and I can not think of one solved kidnapping/abduction case where the child was found living the "Good Life". (Unless it's a parental abduction, and still those are usually tragic)

Reality Yes......but we don't know the reality other than Madeleine is still missing. At this time all we have is hope so there's nothing wrong with hoping she is being treated well no matter how small the chance.

Again, it's cruel to think that Madeleine could be happy anywhere but in her own home, with her own family.

Can you imagine what sort of things would have to be told to a child, before she could stop wanting to go home? If she is alive? Things such as perhaps, your mommy and daddy have died, or don't want you anymore, etc.

There is nothing wrong with clinging to the hope she is still alive somewhere.

We shouldn't sugar coat what existence that require, just to make ourselves feel better.

Again, it's cruel to think that Madeleine could be happy anywhere but in her own home, with her own family.

Can you imagine what sort of things would have to be told to a child, before she could stop wanting to go home? If she is alive? Things such as perhaps, your mommy and daddy have died, or don't want you anymore, etc.

There is nothing wrong with clinging to the hope she is still alive somewhere.

We shouldn't sugar coat what existence that require, just to make ourselves feel better.
Texana thiis was the whole point of the conversation. Not giving up hope as we don't know her reality. Nothing wrong with hope.

I am not giving up hope that she is still alive.

I hope that if she is found and returned to her family she will receive all of the intensive therapy she will need in order to recover and hopefully achieve a somewhat normal existence.

I am not giving up hope that she is still alive.

I hope that if she is found and returned to her family she will receive all of the intensive therapy she will need in order to recover and hopefully achieve a somewhat normal existence.
I hope the same thing colomom. Nothing is preferable to her being found alive and brought home. It's human nature to cling to that hope, even to hope that she is being treated well if she is still alive...until she is found hope is really all we have.

The authorities can't rely on hope though. They have to investigate and be suspicious of foul play. All LE has to go on is either murder or abduction and it seems that they are leaning towards murder. Hopefully what happened will be discovered and Madeline found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther