Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure that the mobile phone company would still be able to produce the data needed so long after the events.
It may be the phone data won't prove anything but its more circumstantial evidence...

Were phones that sophisticated back in those days ? I thought he was supposed to have used a video camera to record his deeds.
The indictments refer to video taping, so how did he get this to his phone ?

The indictments refer to video taping, so how did he get this to his phone ?
Exactly my point. Being analogue a tape would first need to be converted into a digital format#. Not impossible, but would need the appropriate hardware to do so. I think it unlikely that the video was on his phone at all.
More than likely just one of these media myths.

Presumably if Brueckner used his alleged phone on any of those days, police would have records of this and be able to locate where it was (roughly). Particularly the day after. No mention of that, though.

Last edited:
The strange thing is that much the same people who defend Brueckner's right to the presumption of innocence have not accorded the same right to Kate and Gerry, against whom there is not one scintilla of credible evidence.
Equally strange, imo, is that those who have staunchly defended the McCann's right to the presumption of innocence (which was never breached) are quite happy to stand by while a German prosecutor tells the world that his suspect is guilty. A clear breach of the ECHR Article 6:2 in my opinion.

SD card.
Plenty of info online. You're welcome to research any information yourself and contribute to the thread.
If it was a video tape, it wouldn't have an SD card. The clue is in the word tape.
Unless he had a smart phone, he couldn't play a video anyway.
Do you know what sort of phone he had ?

Equally strange, imo, is that those who have staunchly defended the McCann's right to the presumption of innocence (which was never breached) are quite happy to stand by while a German prosecutor tells the world that his suspect is guilty. A clear breach of the ECHR Article 6:2 in my opinion.
So you don't think that a prosecutor, of whatever nation, whose job is to assess evidence impartially, should have added weight given to their pronouncements unless or until there is clear and publicly available evidence that his pronouncements were, after all, wide of the mark?

This article is just over a year old:

Hans Christian Wolters, the prosecutor in charge of the case, said: “We’re confident we have the man who took and killed [Madeleine]. It is now possible that we could charge. We have that evidence now.”

But Mr Wolters said that with Brueckner currently serving seven years in a German jail for raping a pensioner in Praia da Luz, his team are taking their time to build as strong a case as possible against him before bringing charges.

Hans Wolters is a public prosecutor, not a nobody with an opinion on a message board.

I think we should listen to what he says.

We've discussed this in depth before, but may be worth repeating, in this context, presumption of innocence means burden of proof sits with the prosecution in a criminal court. Per european law, this has implications for prosecutors and law enforcement agencies in public statements. It does not apply to private citizens. It has no direct relevance to discussions on a message board, or indeed in day to day life. If a charged sex offender moved on to my street, i don't have to give presumption of innocence. I can make my own risk analysis and form my own opinions.

02c

So you don't think that a prosecutor, of whatever nation, whose job is to assess evidence impartially, should have added weight given to their pronouncements unless or until there is clear and publicly available evidence that his pronouncements were, after all, wide of the mark?

RSBM

Presumption of innocence applies to prosecutors public statements under EU law - i.e. the doctrine may restrict HCW and his office.

It does not apply to us who listen to such statements.

It would be interesting to see CB going to the ECHR if he is found guilty on overwhelming evidence of murdering Maddie.

It would be interesting to see CB going to the ECHR if he is found guilty on overwhelming evidence of murdering Maddie.
If the mixed messages from Germany mean anything it's that their evidence is by no means overwhelming at the moment.

Tape can easily be digitised anyway. I had the sony mini-DV in the late 90s and you could capture that direct to your laptop/PC as a digital file. The year was 1999
Yes, but will the file play on a phone? Is the software compatible ?

Yes, but will the file play on a phone? Is the software compatible ?
So much speculation about different possibilities, but no investigation about what is or isn't possible. The press too; how many of them said Brueckner's phone call placed him near apartment 5A when further investigation revealed that he could actually been quite far away from there. That's if it was indeed his phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500