Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #34

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sorry to chip in (I am not certain of the background in this conversation) but it is professional for a journalist to imply he has sources who told him something.
yeah but he claimed they were confident they would be finding several childrens bodies in the lake when according to all the other media they are actually there to find her pyjamas or other fibres.

And yet they are digging and diving with apparent confidence.

I rather suspect they have a particular aim firmly in their sights.

Well a body is of course, critical evidence, and led to a conviction in Mcstay - i was simply pointing out that DNA can degrade quite quickly in the ground.

Well a body is of course, critical evidence, and led to a conviction in Mcstay - i was simply pointing out that DNA can degrade quite quickly in the ground.
I Don't think we have a problem here. Storage is all. Which makes the difficulties faced by the current investigation all the more apparently insurmountable. Given that MM vanished over sixteen years ago and if she was interred during that period has been exposed to the elements since.

But the fact remains, the international teams working on the case are still digging and diving in their search for evidence.

yeah but he claimed they were confident they would be finding several childrens bodies in the lake when according to all the other media they are actually there to find her pyjamas or other fibres.
Unfortunately Malleux's cite is behind a paywall but only now that there is actual physical Portuguese input are we getting journalistic information from "a source close to the investigation".

Excellent for us because it gives journalists copy and us something to talk about. But proof positive that Portuguese investigators have confidentiality problems. I don't think journalists can be criticised for exploiting that; particularly since that's their job.

Unfortunately Malleux's cite is behind a paywall but only now that there is actual physical Portuguese input are we getting journalistic information from "a source close to the investigation".

Excellent for us because it gives journalists copy and us something to talk about. But proof positive that Portuguese investigators have confidentiality problems. I don't think journalists can be criticised for exploiting that; particularly since that's their job.
that isnt actually what happened here though. Speaking to Sky News, Mr Clarke said that police are "optimistic" that they might also find the bodies of three missing children who have never been found, including eight-year-old Joana Cipriano, who went missing in 2004, "very near" to Praia da Luz. Madeleine McCann police remove bags during reservoir search and yet all the other sources are saying Pyjamas or fibres.

Maybe its best to move on

But you understand what I said :)
I think so. But CB is already at liberty to give information about an alibi to prosecutors. He doesn't have to wait until he is charged to do that. In fact if his alibi was solid enough it could negate him being charged at all.

But if and when he is charged CB and his legal team will have access to all the information held in the prosecution files.

In my opinion while the prosecution are still gathering evidence, and we know they definitely are, there is no rush to lay charges.

Particularly if those charges are going nowhere due to the jurisdiction log jam of five other serious cases waiting their day in court.

that isnt actually what happened here though. Speaking to Sky News, Mr Clarke said that police are "optimistic" that they might also find the bodies of three missing children who have never been found, including eight-year-old Joana Cipriano, who went missing in 2004, "very near" to Praia da Luz. Madeleine McCann police remove bags during reservoir search and yet all the other sources are saying Pyjamas or fibres.

Maybe its best to move on
JC didn't reveal any sources but other media have said the information emanated from Portuguese investigators.

However if you think it best to move on, you will get no argument from me.

JC didn't reveal any sources but other media have said the information emanated from Portuguese investigators.

However if you think it best to move on, you will get no argument from me.
JC doesn't reveal sources? He wants us to think he and the German prosecutors and German police are constantly swapping information, and that he knows everything they know and vice versa. On the other hand I reckon I know what the Portuguese say to him.

Last edited:
JC doesn't reveal sources? He wants us to think he and the German prosecutors and German police are constantly swapping information, and that he knows everything they know and vice versa. On the other hand I reckon I know what the Portuguese say to him.
If that is your opinion, you are entitled to it.

He wrote a book that speaks disparagingly about the 2007 investigation and about Portugal in general. And he did a podcast series in which he did the same. The current PJ/GNR etc. may not all be particularly proud about what happened then, but they're still Portuguese. Just like the British police, and the German police, they'll not be too friendly with critics from abroad I reckon.

(Jmo though of course)

‘Credible evidence’ that led to Madeleine McCann police searching Portuguese lake for the missing girl ‘came from informant who told them the prime suspect visited there DAYS after she vanished from her bed’​

• Portuguese and German police are scouring the area around Barragem do Arade
  • Informant claims Christian Brueckner visited area days after Maddie was taken
Christian Brueckner visited the Arade dam of the Barragem do Arade reservoir, possibly with others, shortly after the toddler vanished from her bed in May 2007, a former friend has told police.

[...]

The hunt is focusing on the foreshore as the water level in the reservoir is considerably lower due to low rainfall last few months. This may explain why no divers have been seen operating in the area although they are on standby.

The search area has also been extended to include a zone currently covered by vegetation, a Portuguese source told The Sun. Officials are cutting back the growth so they can examine the ground.

'It's clear that they believe there may be something very important here and they've been given more time to search for it,' the insider said, adding that 'indications' suggest the operation may continue past Thursday.

I copied this from the BBC live feed yesterday:

“He was driving a yellow and white VW Westfalia campervan in southern Portugal which was reportedly seen near the Praia da Luz resort on 3 May 2007. Madeleine went missing on the same day.

Witnesses reportedly told the police they saw a man described like him - about 6ft tall, slim and white with blond hair- with a toddler near the resort the same night.”

Is anyone aware of such a sighting?

Also, it would appear that the truck driver sighting, 5 May 2007 could now be relevant - the one reported to Metodo 3. The sighting was of a woman passing a child, fitting MN’s description, in Silves.

Wondering if BP has more to do with it perhaps.

Does anyone have the coordinates for BP’s scrapyard?

So LE was staying at Cavoeiro the week MM disappeared. To get to Barragem do Arade from here, you would likely pass through Silves, perhaps a link to BP. We also know that NF said he was travelling to her place in Foral on or around 3 May. All three locations are within one hour travelling time - all three would qualify as German informants.

My money is on NF. She was rumoured to have discussed MM with CB at the kiosk in 2014, she has been involved with CB romantically, she has committed other crimes with him and she would fit the truck driver sighting in Silves - if this is was s legitimate sighting.

This concerns me if she is the “credible” source. It does explain some of the media strategy though, if they have been applying pressure to her and if they can charge her for other crimes.

I think so. But CB is already at liberty to give information about an alibi to prosecutors. He doesn't have to wait until he is charged to do that. In fact if his alibi was solid enough it could negate him being charged at all.

But if and when he is charged CB and his legal team will have access to all the information held in the prosecution files.

In my opinion while the prosecution are still gathering evidence, and we know they definitely are, there is no rush to lay charges.

Particularly if those charges are going nowhere due to the jurisdiction log jam of five other serious cases waiting their day in court.

But tell me @Mex, please, for what time and location CB must present an alibi.

I agree with you on that. They seem to be very focused in the areas they are searching and the equipment used. They seem to know where to search and what they expect to find. Let's hope the tip off was a serious one
This is why imo it's the last throw of the die, if the tip off turns out to be duff, then where does the investigation go from here?

Just on the possible sighting of MT yesterday, I don't think it was him. There's a photo in the Mirror this morning from a better angle of what appears to be those same 2 people walking along the bank, same clothing etc.

Attachments

• 0_Phil-HarrisDaily-Mirror-Sunday-Mirror-Express-Star-Sunday-Express-Star-on-Sunday.jpg
    0_Phil-HarrisDaily-Mirror-Sunday-Mirror-Express-Star-Sunday-Express-Star-on-Sunday.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 17

Source close to the investigation in these contexts frequently just means a non-attributed comment by the investigators themselves rather than a leak.

You see this formulation all the time in politics.

e.g. "Sources close to the Prime Minister"

I Don't think we have a problem here. Storage is all. Which makes the difficulties faced by the current investigation all the more apparently insurmountable. Given that MM vanished over sixteen years ago and if she was interred during that period has been exposed to the elements since.

But the fact remains, the international teams working on the case are still digging and diving in their search for evidence.

Again the point was, in response to the poster i replied to, after 16 years, there might not be incriminating DNA in any gravesite, or on any fibres recovered.

In McStay the actual murder weapon was in the grave. No useful DNA samples could be retrieved.

The evidence was useful in other ways - just not as a source of DNA - so we should be prepared for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500