Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
A British Royal Navy vessel is on its way to an area where a Chinese ship reported picking up electronic signals twice, once on Friday and again on Saturday, said Angus Houston, the head of the Australian agency coordinating search operations.

And the Australian naval ship Ocean Shield, which has highly sophisticated equipment, is pursuing "an acoustic noise" that it detected in a different area, Houston said.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/scanners-scour-ocean-depths-for-flight-370/25336098

I think he is amazing. I love his demeanor, his accent, and especially the way he handles those questions. Brillant!! I could listen to him talk all night. jmo

Yes, he did great. All the Austrailian press conferences are handled great IMO.

How many black boxes are there? And, if two, could they possibly be 300 miles apart?
Yes two. Both (flight data and cockpit voice recorder) are located in the rear of the plane. I doubt they can be 300 miles apart, so I am afraid this only confirms that false signals are possible.

Wonder what would make the signals "fleeting" like that. Sound waves are strange in some ways. Could it be that things just line up perfectly and they get the detection all of a sudden and then some sort of interference stops it.

Or is the battery all but failed and it starts working for a little bit and quits again.

Or maybe something unrelated to the black boxes is causing noises they are picking up.

I think he is amazing. I love his demeanor, his accent, and especially the way he handles those questions. Brillant!! I could listen to him talk all night. jmo

Agree completely. Just adore him! So professional and credible! Aussie picked the perfect person for that job!

Some other interesting news CNN is mentioning....

Close associates of the pilot and copilot were allowed to listen to the actual last recordings of the pilots to the air traffic control. The purpose of it was to try to determine whose voice was last spoken on the communication.

First detection 36 hours ago .. two nights ago .. quick detection, then nothing.

Chinese boat stayed in area investigating, yesterday afternoon Perth time, another acoustic detection less than 2km from 1st detection.

2nd acoustic event was about 90 secs long.

Location is in the high probability area we know.

bbm

Hey all, just watched part of the press conference. I am confused about the 90-second part. Angus Huston (sp?) said that, when speaking of the 90 seconds, that, now if the ship was closer, of course the pings would have lasted longer.

So I am just wondering why didn't the ship just move closer? I mean, I get the "acoustic event," but does that mean they only hear the pings, and there is no way to determine EXACTLY where it is coming from? But then how did they get the 1.2 miles, etc.?

I'm so confused.

I have no clue, have no clue..... ;)

IDK but I need to know what cleanser and moisturizer he uses. Or he probably has fancy face-cleansings done by professionals. His skin is so clear and nice!

bbm

Hey all, just watched part of the press conference. I am confused about the 90-second part. Angus Huston (sp?) said that, when speaking of the 90 seconds, that, now if the ship was closer, of course the pings would have lasted longer.

So I am just wondering why didn't the ship just move closer? I mean, I get the "acoustic event," but does that mean they only hear the pings, and there is no way to determine EXACTLY where it is coming from? But then how did they get the 1.2 miles, etc.?

I'm so confused.

If the accoustic sounds would have stayed continuous then perhaps the ships could have tried to move around and see if it sounded stronger as they moved but it only lasted 90 seconds for the China ship on that one. The china ship had a 2nd accoustic event in basically the same spot but for even shorter period of time the other event.
So China actually had 2 different events on 2 different days. I think the 1.2 miles is how far each event was apart from the other one.

The 3rd accoustic event is the Austrailia ship we were just told about had its own accoustic event about an hour before the news conference and they are currently investigating that one. I dont think he indicated if that one was a fleeting signal or not. Wondering if that one is an ongoing signal or not.

Why does Don Lemon say some things twice? Some things twice.

Australian politicians do this all the time and it drives me nuts. I think it's supposed to emphasise a point. The Treasurer will say something like, "The former government left a huge hole in the budget. A huge hole in the budget!" It's become a trend or something.

If the accoustic sounds would have stayed continuous then perhaps the ships could have tried to move around and see if it sounded stronger as they moved but it only lasted 90 seconds for the China ship on that one. The china ship had a 2nd accoustic event in basically the same spot but for even shorter period of time the other event.
So China actually had 2 different events on 2 different days.

The 3rd accoustic event is the Austrailia ship we were just told about had its own accoustic event about an hour before the news conference and they are currently investigating that one. I dont think he indicated if that one was a fleeting signal or not. Wondering if that one is an ongoing signal or not.

Ah, I see. Thanks. It is a bit worrisome that the acoustic sounds were not continuous. It could be the battery is going down, like a poster said.

Gosh, I hope this is it.

One more thing I think Mr. Huston did a great job with is he let us know exactly how long it might take to confirm or deny the existence of black box in the location. So there is no speculation - no one thinking they will get an answer tomorrow. He very clearly stated how long it would take for Echo to even get down there, then it will take time to verify, etc.. I thought that was great.

Does anyone with the smart map abilities know where the Ocean Shield ship is compared to the Chinese ship that first found the "acoustic events". Leave it to Australia to take "pings" and give it a sexy twist name.

Does anyone with the smart map abilities know where the Ocean Shield ship is compared to the Chinese ship that first found the "acoustic events". Leave it to Australia to take "pings" and give it a sexy twist name.

bbm

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Yes, they are being verrrryyy careful not to start calling it pings or even transmissions.

Because "acoustic events" could come from a whale, but pings not so much.

And don't you love the way for the very last question he said 'no, I haven't taken one from over here yet' ... and then you hear a little Aussie female voice ask a question.

He'd be a great grandfather I think!

Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, AC, AFC (Ret'd

Angus is married to Liz and they have three sons and two grandchildren. In 2011, he was named the Australian Father of the Year and in 2012, the ACT Australian of the Year.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member