May 5, 2015 Rally Arkansas State Capitol Building to Reopen Case and Exonerate the WM

Forgot to say that Jason sent his regrets and his statement (eloquent as always) was read from the podium.

JMB's speech had me in absolute tears. He truly spoke straight from the heart.

But weren't Anonymous supposed to have been involved in this somehow? I thought that was the deal when it was first announced at least.

JMB's speech had me in absolute tears. He truly spoke straight from the heart.

But weren't Anonymous supposed to have been involved in this somehow? I thought that was the deal when it was first announced at least.

Yeah -- they supposedly had "new information" regarding to who exactly perpetrated this case and they were supposed to release it at the rally, but they were absent and no new information was presented by anyone.

I'm just reporting the facts here, so don't get mad at me. By reporting the following, I do not mean to diminish the effort or imply that it "wasn't worth it," so again, be adult and don't attack me for simply stating the facts, as I viewed the rally streaming. That said, here they are:

It was a low turnout. Two of the speakers (attendants of the rally, non-family of the victims) acknowledged this at the podium, and even though the sound system wouldn't be the best medium to measure, one could have guessed as much from the lackluster applause to each speaker.

Mara Leveritt, like Anonymous, didn't show up; even though she said she was and would be speaking. She was off covering another similar case that is more recent than this one. In her place, a minister who lived across the street from her spoke.

JB provided a statement to be read on his behalf that regretted his absence and called for justice. The only people who were in attendance with direct connections to this case were JB's mother, GG (who did not speak) and JMB.

JMB's speech was, in many parts, a mirror-image of those he had given in the documentaries; down to the very words/delivery. He recounted the events on May 5th and the punishment he had doled out to CB, reiterating how he had only "swatted" his jeaned-backside twice and how much he regretted his actions. He also reiterated his belief in the WM3's innocence, and he alluded to the hair found in the ligature of MM pointing to the real killer (although, he never used TH's name specifically; none of the speakers did, with the exception of one individual: an attendant at the rally who said he had nothing really to lose and that TH could go ahead and so sue him -- paraphrasing). His voice indicated that he was crying throughout most of his speech. The feed cut out mid-way through JMB's speech.

There were about 4 keynote speakers, JMB being one of them, in addition to a musician singing songs that he and DE had written while the latter was in prison. JMB's brother, a minister, then led a prayer for the 3 boys; and in an effort to prolong the rally, anybody who had attended the rally (non-family, etc) was invited to come up and say a few words.

The rally lasted for about 2 hours and dispersed to a nearby Mexican restaurant in the area.

It was a small gathering, nevertheless it was important.

Thank you for the summary Userid. I was glad that Jason's mother attended as I believe these events can be healing. I too was moved by JMB's speech.

Is GG Gary Gitchell? I'm surprised he would show up at a rally to reopen an investigation that he himself so seriously botched.

Is GG Gary Gitchell? I'm surprised he would show up at a rally to reopen an investigation that he himself so seriously botched.

No, it's JB's mother: Gail G. (sorry, I'm paranoid using real names on here for some reason).

I've been thinking about why the state doesn't want to reopen the investigation. What if JM, JB and DE were to waive their right to press charges against the state for wrongful conviction (if it's even possible to waive that right)? The state wouldn't have to worry about paying a huge sum of money to the WM3, so they can start going after the real killer. Or is the state too proud to admit they got the wrong people?

They did waive their right to pursue monetary relief. I know the doc is on Cally's, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else can. It was a separate document as part of the Alford pleas.

Does anyone know if there was a similar kind of rally this year on the 23 year anniversary?
Just so sad that all these years have passed without justice :(

Not that I know of, no. But then again I'm not really in the loop.

There was no rally. To be the bearer of bad tidings, but I doubt there is another one, honestly. The last one, where JMB spoke out in front of the courthouse had a dismal showing of only a handful of attendants. This was the one for the case to be reopened on the 22nd year anniversary. Mara Leveritt has moved on (which doesn't surprise me in the slighest; she didn't even attend the last rally after saying she would be one of the speakers; despicable), and the supporter movement nowadays is as barren as the non movement always was, since the WM3 were released -- this is just fact, sadly. Just seems like the majority were in it strictly for justice of the WM3 and not for the 3 victims. The only thing that's left are these message boards, and even they are on the severe decline activity-wise.

I think the only thing that will garner major "interest" in the case again is a police finding that is released, but who knows if the investigation is even open or closed (the state has spoken out of both sides of their mouth on the issue).

I think a lot of us were in it for justice for the three murdered children but then gave up hope and moved on when it became apparent that the state was never going to make any effort to re-open the case. I wish the wm3 had gone with Jason's instinct and called Scott Ellington's bluff and gone to the evidentiary hearing, because the Alford plea has given the state an excuse to just treat the case as closed.

^ Or that DE & JM decided to fight on like JB initially wanted, but yeah, I get your point nonetheless.

Still, I completely understand that DE wanted to take the Alford Plea instead of fighting on. After all, his life was on the line..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danicastiletto
Back