Mayvette Monzon - 31 year old women killed in 2005

MOON4x4

Reaction score
She got home from work around 4 to 6 in the morning September 23, 2005 and was ambushed and killed in front of her house, which she shared with her mother. The killer either lied in wait or followed her home from one of the clubs she worked at. She worked at 4 separate clubs, Fever Nightclub on Church Street in New Westminster, Cheer's Pub on 70th Avenue in Delta, Capital Nightclub on Elmbridge Way in Richmond, and Barcode on West Broadway in Vancouver. Her sister, Maria Franco, said "She was a friend to everyone." My guesses would be a drunk person, not so possibly an old high school rival, or maybe a rude drunk client.

Mayvette MONZON – Case Overview | Vancouver Police Department Cold Cases

''It was early in the morning on September 23, 2005, when 31-year-old Mayvette Monzon returned from work to the home she shared with her mother, something she had done many times before. A popular nightclub bartender, she worked late hours at the Fever Nightclub on Church Street in New Westminster, Cheer’s Pub on 70th Avenue in Delta, Capital Nightclub on Elmbridge Way in Richmond and Barcode on West Broadway in Vancouver.

But this time, Mayvette would be ambushed, by someone police believe was following her or lying in wait. She was shot and killed as she sat in her car parked right in front of her house in the 1400 block of West 53rd Avenue at Granville Street.

It’s been almost ten years since Mayvette’s murder now. Her large extended family, her many friends, and the close-knit Filipino community were devastated and are still looking for answers.

Maria Franco, Mayvette’s sister, remembers her zest for life, and her generous nature and spirit. “She was a friend to everyone.”

While Mayvette did have relationships with people associated with gangs and drugs, the motive for her murder is still not clear. Investigators have received anonymous information about people who may have been involved, but no one has yet come forward and revealed the killer’s identity.''

1693578167776.png
May 31, 2007 rbbm
''The family of Mayvette Monzon, 31, who was killed the night she was working at the Cheers nightclub in Delta, has added $3,000 to the reward money.

Homicide Det. Ken Nixon said Monzon was popular with her clientele, which included criminals and gang members who followed her to various bars across the Lower Mainland.

He said he hopes someone will come forward with information about her death in September 2005.

"We think that it's likely the murder was planned, and we believe that it's likely there was a number of people who are aware of how it occurred and who have other significant details.

"So, we'd be appealing to someone in that group who has perhaps a change of heart or who has just realized it's time to come forward."

Nixon says there's no indication Monzon herself was involved in crime.''
1693578740850.png

Juliet Andalis, with daughter Maria Franco, want justice for slain daughter and sister Mayvette Monzon
Now the anguished retired nurse and community activist has one wish:

“Whoever knows anything — I am begging you whoever you are, please come forward and say something,” Andalis said in a recent interview, her voice breaking.

“Don’t you know I have been in agony until now? Just come forward — I beg of you before I die. I don’t want to die without closure for my daughter.”

At first, both women were confident someone would be arrested. Police inquired about Mayvette’s many suitors — including a boyfriend who called the night before she died, delayed on a trip back from Nigeria.

There was another who had wanted to marry Mayvette, but was still in the process of divorcing his wife.

Then there were the patrons at the bar where she worked, who loved the vivacious, attractive young woman and were constantly pursuing her.

Did Mayvette get unwittingly caught in a criminal scheme of one of her customers? Did she learn something too dangerous to know?''

I think she was probably indirectly involved with organized crime. There were a lot of gang members visiting those clubs back in the day. I think maybe she knew too much and people were afraid she'd testify.

I think she was probably indirectly involved with organized crime. There were a lot of gang members visiting those clubs back in the day. I think maybe she knew too much and people were afraid she'd testify.
I agree, police gave strong clues this was a gang plot. I think, to result in murder, it would be more than just suspicion or fear, I think more likely it was discovered she was a police informant. Murder of non-gang members is unusual, and how else would police be so certain what was behind it?

The article was a long time ago, perhaps police/family got their answers but never took the info to the media, perhaps the killer(s) are dead.

But I'm confused about what, exactly, makes a bartender so popular that people will follow her schedule and go to different bars around the city, just to be served by her? My impression of Vancouver gangsters is they are not interested in martinis and other drinks that take skill to mix.. Their favorite brand of beer, their favorite shot of hard liquor - who cares about the person pouring it?

And you can't hear what anyone is saying in those clubs, the music is so loud, unless you shout directly in their ear.

So it's hard for me to imagine exactly how this lethal set of circunstances played out for her.

JMO

If she were found out to be an informant against mid to high level dealers, yes, that's likely the motive for her murder. I wonder if she was involved in some low level dealing out of the club, which would acount for gang members following her. Dropping off drugs, picking up cash, etc.

Or, she could've been dating a dealer. Additionally, maybe she just had knowledge of the dealing going on inside the club, by way of her social network. I wonder if there were any big busts around that time period.

Reminds me of the Lindsay Buziak case, which sadly, is still unsolved as well.

ETA: According to the Vancouver Sun, in May of 2005, there was a big drug bust in Vancouver named Project Thunder. There was also an airport bust in June of 2005, in which RCMP confiscated 1 million dollars worth of heroin.

I'm not saying these are related to Mayvette, but it goes to show you the level of organized crime in BC.

Also, an article in The Province says Mayvette's family found a handwritten note after her death. She had written a man's name and number down. She told her family to contact him if she were to die, because he would owe them 100k after promising Mayvette her safety.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back