MD - 7yr old suspended for shaping his pastry like a gun

I say send him to school with a marshmallow shooter. That way, kids can have their sugar and guns, too!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

lol, now we need legislation to end the idiocy? Isn't that a whole nother level of idiocy right there?

We don't need legislation. We need common sense when forming school policies.

:waitasec: :waitasec:

It looks as though Senator Jennings Senate Bill 10-58 is not going to be broad enough!!

http://www.wnem.com/story/21547930/student-causes-cupcake-controversy-at-caro-school

Birthday cupcakes cause controversy at local school
Posted: Mar 07, 2013 3:32 PM CST Updated: Mar 08, 2013 5:02 PM CST
CARO, MI (WNEM) -

A local third grader who took cupcakes to class in celebration of his 9th birthday was told a topping on those cupcakes was inappropriate.

Last week, Casey Fountain's third-grade son had a birthday party at his school in Caro. His wife decided to whip up 30 cupcakes for the boy's classmates. She topped the treats with plastic army guys like the ones countless boys and girls have played with for decades. Fountain says he never thought his innocent act of party planning would lead to controversy.

Fountain says the principal of Schall Elementary School called him personally and told him that dressing the cupcakes with soldiers was, in the principal's words, "insensitive" considering recent gun-related tragedies. Fountain says the principal was referring to the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut.

That didn't sit too well with Fountain, and he says his frustration prompted him to call TV5.

The green plastic figurines are representations of WWII soldiers, and Fountain said he doesn't see a comparison to Sandy Hook.

More in the news article ....

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/featur...mpts-new-legislation-18311.shtml#.UTtiSzCcevR

First on Fox: Student Suspended for Pop Tart Gun Prompts New Legislation
Updated: Friday, March 8 2013, 10:05 PM EST

The case of the second grader in Anne Arundel County suspended for allegedly turning his pop tart into a gun has one lawmaker in Annapolis pushing new legislation.

Harford County Republican Senator J.B. Jennings says when he first heard about what happened, he didn't think it was real and was a little shocked.

But now Jennings' amazement has turned into action and he has introduced Senate Bill 10-58.

The introduction of the bill was prompted by the suspension of 7-year-old Josh Welch last Friday from Park Elementary School in Brooklyn Park.

More in the news article ....

I've had more kidproblems with the www wrestling craze than wwII toy soldiers or play guns. They think they're wrestlers after watching the show and have caused some damage . Kids thinking this way does need to remind parents to make sure no kid has any access to guns, even BB guns. A kid in my neighborhood recently got his front tooth shot out by a bb.

Ok, but the army-guy cupcakes? IMO that was a bit of stupidity on the part of the parent-borrowing trouble, as my Grandmother would say. He hasn't read a newspaper in say, like, the past ten years?

Fountain says the principal of Schall Elementary School called him personally and told him that dressing the cupcakes with soldiers was, in the principal's words, "insensitive" considering recent gun-related tragedies. Fountain says the principal was referring to the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut.

That didn't sit too well with Fountain, and he says his frustration prompted him to call TV5.

The green plastic figurines are representations of WWII soldiers, and Fountain said he doesn't see a comparison to Sandy Hook.

http://www.wnem.com/story/21547930/student-causes-cupcake-controversy-at-caro-school

OK, so if plastic soldiers are an affront in the face of the Sandy Hook tragedy, how do they deal with the existence of the real armed forces, employing more than a million people in active duty and about the same in the reserves? What if a child's parent is in the military? If the child mention the parent's occupation to the other kids, shows them a photo or they meet the parent while on a play date, how can they cope with the insensitivity?

JMO, I would totally understand if the reasoning was that not all the parents accept military toys because many of them probably don't, and you wouldn't want to go against anyone's child raising principles but not everything has to do with Sandy Hook. It was not a soldier who killed children there.

Have we really lost our minds people. Who the he11 and we hiring to teach, maybe they should have to take a ink blot test and grade their answers with no pay. I am starting to hate public education. jmo

OK, so if plastic soldiers are an affront in the face of the Sandy Hook tragedy, how do they deal with the existence of the real armed forces, employing more than a million people in active duty and about the same in the reserves? What if a child's parent is in the military? If the child mention the parent's occupation to the other kids, shows them a photo or they meet the parent while on a play date, how can they cope with the insensitivity?

JMO, I would totally understand if the reasoning was that not all the parents accept military toys because many of them probably don't, and you wouldn't want to go against anyone's child raising principles but not everything has to do with Sandy Hook. It was not a soldier who killed children there.

And why would the teacher assume the child was pretending to be a "shooter" instead of a police officer, soldier or other defender?

Today I pulled out one of my sons shirts. Happen to be a Toy Story shirt with Woody and Buzz, and some Army men. I let him wear the shirt a few times to school. I looked at it today and saw the Army guys holding up rifles, I thought no that can't be but that is what they hold right. Then I looked a little closer and sure enough the front army man had a hand gun in his hands! Now I probably will never let him wear it again to school, such a innocent shirt could probably get his butt in trouble.
Just yesterday my 5 year old was making a shape out a a chip, looked like a gun shape to me, but she said look a banana.
They are so innocent at this age.

How ironic. Coming from the country that allows people to freely carry guns. A little paranoid are we? I'm sure something else must have led up to a suspension.

Just trying to make this world a safer place for our children.

Have we really lost our minds people. Who the he11 and we hiring to teach, maybe they should have to take a ink blot test and grade their answers with no pay. I am starting to hate public education. jmo

It isn't the teachers--it's the administrators that make these decisions. I'm convinced that once someone gets his/her administration papers, he/she is required to turn in all memories of being a teacher and any general common sense he/she possesses.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott Signs 'Pop-Tart' Gun Bill

On Friday, Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) signed a bill that prohibits schools from disciplining students who play with simulated weapons, The Miami Herald reported.

Lawmakers approved the so-called "Pop-Tart" bill after an 8-year-old Maryland boy earned a suspension for biting a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun last year.

State Sen. Greg Evers (R), who sponsored the legislation, said it would prevent situations "where you chew a Pop-Tart into the shape of a gun and you are expelled" from school, according to the Herald.

Asked if any similar incidents had occurred in Florida, Evers cited a student who was expelled in his district.

"Two kids were sitting down reading a book and there was a picture of a Wild Wild West show and one person has a gun," he told the Herald in April. "One student tells another student that he's got a cap gun at home that's the same as the one in the picture. The teacher sent him to the principal and he was expelled."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/21/scott-pop-tart_n_5518167.html

To interject another angle in this discussion----
Who says PopTart is a pastry?
What an insult to authentic pastry.

Awh jeez. Poor kid!

It's like some kind of collective mental breakdown. Paranoia abounds. The State as uber-parent.. My DD just told me a woman in the UK was arrested for leaving her kid in the yard while going inside to make him a sandwich. And look at the Fresh Prince malarkey that just happened..

It's nuts. Society needs to back the hell up and put its energy and resources to real criminals who are really hurting real people.

Hey! This is the US we are talking about. The kid should consider himself lucky he wasn't shot!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back