MD MD - Bishop Family murders, Bethesda, 1 March 1976

Can't believe they may have found Bishop after all these years! Anyone have an idea of how long it may take to analyze the dna, dental records, etc.? Someone mentioned fingerprints, but after 33 years of decomposition how could there be fingerprints on the unidentified man buried in Alabama in 1981?

I don't know,

That would make several later alleged sightings of him in the late 80's, early 90's, not credible. I recall the Co Worker restroom sighting in Europe. I remember when the co-worker called out to him, "Your Bradford Bishop aren't you?" The man took off like a shot out of a cannon. Wikipedia, which is not the most credible, because anyone can edit the information, says the restroom sighting happened in Italy, back in January, 1979. Here is the link about William Bradford Bishop from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_Bishop

Satch

I've nevrr been fully convinced of those sightings overseas. I'm sure those witnesses were convinced they saw him, but itseems unlikely he was able to travel there and survive financially.

From the news accounts and John Walsh's show, Bishop was experiencing some financial problems at the time of the murders and his disappearance. He had found returning from oversess to a post in the DC area was more expensive than planned. IIRC, he had borrowed money from his mother to purchase their home and send his children to private schools. That was one of the reasons he was upset about not getting a promotion.

Without much ready cash, seems it would have needed a lot of money to travel to Europe and get established, travel, find a place to live, etc. Not impossible, but difficult. Was it ever revealed how much of his own possessions he took with him when he disappeared -eg clothing, luggage, personal items, camera, etc? Did he cash in any stocks, bonds insurance policies, etc? It also seems unlikey anyone else would aid in his escape unless he offered to pay them. Who would take on the risk of helping someone who murdered their entire family?

JMO, but it seems more likely he stayed in the US.

It will be interesting to see if this is him.

Bishop could have been in Italy in 1979, later returned to the US and died in 1981. The 1979 sighting was the close one in the bathroom by the person known to Bishop. The other sightings were further away and could have been a mistake.

If he planned the murders so thoroughly, I find it hard to believe he did not plan for an "afterwards" life as well.
He gives off a very Eastern European vibe, I wonder what his ethnic origin was.

The John Doe does look a lot like this guy. I wonder what his life was like after killing his family. Ever regret his actions? Think about his family? Anxious to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After commercial right now on CNN, they are going to find out more about viewer who called in the tip to the FBI.

ETA - Nothing new. Guy used to be employed at the funeral home back when, was sitting on couch with his wife watching The Hunt, and said there was too much of a resemblance to him so he called in the tip. This is not verbatim. CNN was trying not to brag too much about JW and his new show.

I've nevrr been fully convinced of those sightings overseas. I'm sure those witnesses were convinced they saw him, but itseems unlikely he was able to travel there and survive financially.

From the news accounts and John Walsh's show, Bishop was experiencing some financial problems at the time of the murders and his disappearance. He had found returning from oversess to a post in the DC area was more expensive than planned. IIRC, he had borrowed money from his mother to purchase their home and send his children to private schools. That was one of the reasons he was upset about not getting a promotion.

Without much ready cash, seems it would have needed a lot of money to travel to Europe and get established, travel, find a place to live, etc. Not impossible, but difficult. Was it ever revealed how much of his own possessions he took with him when he disappeared -eg clothing, luggage, personal items, camera, etc? Did he cash in any stocks, bonds insurance policies, etc? It also seems unlikey anyone else would aid in his escape unless he offered to pay them. Who would take on the risk of helping someone who murdered their entire family?

JMO, but it seems more likely he stayed in the US.

It will be interesting to see if this is him.

On March 1st, 1976, Bishop withdrew $400 from his checking account at American Security Bank in Washington, DC. He also had a credit card which he used to purchase gasoline, some items from the hardware store and Sears, and again to purchase a pair of tennis shoes in Jacksonville, North Carolina on March 2nd, the same day the bodies were discovered burning/smoldering in the shallow grave in Columbia, NC.

I do not believe that his credit card was ever used again.

On March 1st, 1976, Bishop withdrew $400 from his checking account at American Security Bank in Washington, DC. He also had a credit card which he used to purchase gasoline, some items from the hardware store and Sears, and again to purchase a pair of tennis shoes in Jacksonville, North Carolina on March 2nd, the same day the bodies were discovered burning/smoldering in the shallow grave in Columbia, NC.

I do not believe that his credit card was ever used again.

When an unidentified person is buried, does the funeral home include in the casket all the clothing and shoes found on/with the body? What if he was wearing these same tennis shoes that was bought back then?

Really good video with neighbor and local newsman talking about doubts that the remains are Bishop. LE has Bishop's and the unknown dead man's finger prints, they could have already compared them. The newsman thinks that the unknown person was not leading a lifestyle that was compatible with Brad Bishop. Hopefully we will have an answer soon.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/10/09/alabama-body-william-bradford-bishop/17014631/

Now, the FBI has several ways to determine if Bishop is the John Doe. Along with the DNA from the cigarette butt, the FBI has detailed dental X-rays from an exam performed on Bishop in 1972, according to records released by the agency.
The FBI also has a set of fingerprints from the U.S. Army, where Bishop had enlisted in August 1959.
The process of identification could take a few weeks, Matthews said.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/news/c...cle_70d19fe0-ef13-5919-8c77-8f83f4261bba.html

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...er-exhumed-body-does-not-match-fugitives-dna/

“We were hoping it would be him, but we have other leads,” said Amy Thoreson, a spokeswoman for the FBI’s office in Baltimore. Thoreson said the Baltimore office was notified at about 5 p.m. Wednesday of the findings from the FBI Lab in Quantico, Virginia.

The findings dashed the hopes of officials who have been searching for Bishop since the 1976 killings. Because of his fluency in five languages and travel experience as a Foreign Service officer with the State Department, authorities had suspected he could be almost anywhere in the world.

Perhaps Bishop was a CIA operative using State Department cover. These agents are masters of disguise so he could travel anywhere; it also means it might've been someone else disguised AS Bishop, who bought the murders weapon, gasoline, etc. He also could've easily made himself multiple passports and had bug out bags all Europe and Africa. Bishop also might've been a Soviet sleeper agent. Something that stands out to me is the fact he made a multi-state drive of at least 6 hours to the site where he disposed of the bodies, yet not one highway patrolman pulled him over. Sure he could've been driving with the speed limit and not calling attention to himself but a lot of LE pull out of state cars over as a matter of course.

I was just rereading up on this case a couple of days ago. It bugs me that this crumb killed his family and got away with it. He was still on the FBI Ten Most Wanted list when I checked - the oldest case there I believe.

How do we know for sure he was the killer? Maybe I've read too many spy thrillers but, as a foreign service officer, who's to say what happened to his family wasn't part of something more nefarious?

I came here to post just this. Well along the lines of this. I mean odds are he was the killer and is living somewhere under another identity or dead. But what if the CIA wanted him dead and just thought a better way to make him disappear was to make it look like he killed his family. I highly doubt the sightings also. Especially that one in Italy those odds are like winning the power ball lotto 20 times over.
I really want to see him caught or at least find out what happened to him but still am not holding my breath on it.

Really good video with neighbor and local newsman talking about doubts that the remains are Bishop. LE has Bishop's and the unknown dead man's finger prints, they could have already compared them. The newsman thinks that the unknown person was not leading a lifestyle that was compatible with Brad Bishop. Hopefully we will have an answer soon.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/local/2014/10/09/alabama-body-william-bradford-bishop/17014631/

Now, the FBI has several ways to determine if Bishop is the John Doe. Along with the DNA from the cigarette butt, the FBI has detailed dental X-rays from an exam performed on Bishop in 1972, according to records released by the agency.
The FBI also has a set of fingerprints from the U.S. Army, where Bishop had enlisted in August 1959.
The process of identification could take a few weeks, Matthews said.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/news/c...cle_70d19fe0-ef13-5919-8c77-8f83f4261bba.html

According to this post, the FBI has DNA. :thinking:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back