MD - Chemical on playground burns boy, age 2

I stand by the idea that it could be "stupid kids". There are kids, who don't pay attention in science class, who really don't know that such things are caustic and can cause chemical burns. It might be such a kid who did this thing. Or, I admit it could be a person who is hurting inside, who wants to hurt the world, even toddlers. We'll know more, when there is an arrest. I'm actually "on the fence" on what the nature(s) of the person(s) who committed the crimes are like, for now. All I ask, is that othere might consider the same.

ETA: My personal observations have been, that many kids who think random destruction and mayhem is cool, don't think science and schoolwork is cool. So, it follows that all they'd be thinking of is "chaos, break, smash" and not "I shouldn't do this, this could burn someone." because they are ignorant. I know there are others, adults and teens, who are smart enough to know exactly what it can do, and do the things out of malice too, though.

I'll add my opinion since I did live in that exact area. Many years ago I stopped letting my children go to parks and playgrounds in that area because of the syringes and used condoms discarded freely, including the sand boxes. What most consider kids at ages 12 and 13 from the Balto. and surrounding county areas such as Middle River are often carrying weapons. They have no problem with taking out an adult. I have no problem believing if kids did it, it was deliberate as it's not uncommon to see many attrocities of a like nature from that geographical area.

Is it evil if the person was mentally ill and/or delusional?

Good question - and applicable in many ways to many crimes. Evil as an individual or evil as an act of violence.... either way it's dangerous. There is so much about the human brain (chemicals, etc.) that are just beyond our scope now, but hold the key to violent crime (as well as unselfish acts). Someday we will study it and come up with some explanation. Until then, there are prisons filled with people who are dangerous but perhaps didn't want to be. (And some who do!)

Heard on the news earlier that they caught the teenagers that did this and they had broken into a school to steal the chemicals just to see if they would melt the plastic. They are being charged with reckless endangerment and breaking and entering. I personally think they should be charged with attempted murder too...

Good question - and applicable in many ways to many crimes. Evil as an individual or evil as an act of violence.... either way it's dangerous. There is so much about the human brain (chemicals, etc.) that are just beyond our scope now, but hold the key to violent crime (as well as unselfish acts). Someday we will study it and come up with some explanation. Until then, there are prisons filled with people who are dangerous but perhaps didn't want to be. (And some who do!)

You and I are on the same page definitely - so much we do not understand. Mentally ill can be very dangerous, but is it evil? I'm not prepared to label it as such.

You and I are on the same page definitely - so much we do not understand. Mentally ill can be very dangerous, but is it evil? I'm not prepared to label it as such.

Now that we have learned more, I may backtrack a little, however, out of all the places these kids could have poured acid to see if it would melt plastic, they choose a playground slide?

They don't sound mentally ill at all, they sound like total morons. :mad:

Now that we have learned more, I may backtrack a little, however, out of all the places these kids could have poured acid to see if it would melt plastic, they choose a playground slide?

They don't sound mentally ill at all, they sound like total morons. :mad:

Yep, it was stupidity. I truly believe that most terrible things that happen in this world are a result of stupidity.

ETA: I did a lot of stupid things when I was a teenager that could have resulted in tragedy for myself or innocent others. I did not outgrow this self-centeredness until I was out of college. Maybe I'm totally unique in that regard, but I doubt it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back