MD MD - Frederick, off I-270, WhtFem 15-29, UP1665, Sz 11 denim skort, jewelry, Jul'91

I thought we were up to twelve exclusions, but the first and last rule outs were repeated on NAMUS. Mary Jo has not been ruled out yet.

Current rule outs:
Kelly Dove 1961 Virginia
Michaela Garecht 1979 California
Shelley Hoke 1969 Arizona
Alicia Markovich 1972 Pennsylvania
Tammie McCormick 1972 New York
Mary Plavnick 1962 Florida
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Terry Slaugenhoupt 1962 Maryland
Heide Wilbur 1974 Vermont

No new ruleouts. Updated link Unidentified Person Case

Current rule outs:
Kelly Dove 1961 Virginia
Michaela Garecht 1979 California
Shelley Hoke 1969 Arizona
Alicia Markovich 1972 Pennsylvania
Tammie McCormick 1972 New York
Mary Plavnick 1962 Florida
Patricia Schmidt 1964 Virginia
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Terry Slaugenhoupt 1962 Maryland
Heide Wilbur 1974 Vermont

Added to exclusions -
MP7983 Mary Plavnick 04/09/1987 Escambia FL

What about Barbara Ann Sterbinsky?

Her hair is styled similarly, her ears seem to be floppyish like JD's composite, and their mouths, chins, and jaw lines are all interestingly similar (except for the most recent composite, imo). Age is 2 years older than estimated for JD. Height is a match but hair is black vs. brown. Could this be Barbara?

WA - WA - Barbara Sterbinsky, 31, Auburn, 15 Nov 1990

Original
barbara_ann_sterbinsky_1.jpg
befunky-collage-jpg.86645

The Doe Network: Case File 2428DFWA

Case File 2428DFWA
Barbara Ann Sterbinsky
Missing since November 15, 1990 from Auburn, King County, Washington
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: February 11, 1959
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 31 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 100 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair; brown eyes.
    • Dentals: Available
Circumstances of Disappearance
Barbara Sterbinsky was last seen in Auburn, WA on November 15, 1990.

She left behind her purse, clothes, food stamps and welfare check.
Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Auburn police department
253-931-3094

Agency Case Number: 90-120116

Source Information:
WASPC

I like the appearence. Very similar ears, hair, spacing of the eyes. The only difference I see is her chin being longer. There dosent appear to be anything in circumstances to rule her out.

I like the appearence. Very similar ears, hair, spacing of the eyes. The only difference I see is her chin being longer. There dosent appear to be anything in circumstances to rule her out.

Thanks for the feedback. In Barbara's photo and the first composite of this group her right eyebrow seems almost identical to me. The chin does look shorter. I suppose that could be due to a variety of things including whatever trauma she may have gone through before, during, and after her death. I think it'll be hardest to explain the distance and time frame with only a one week PMI. Where was she from Nov 1990 until July 1991? I guess that's not a question that can be answered until she's identified.

barbara_ann_sterbinsky_1.jpg
befunky-collage-jpg.86645

The apparent length of her chin is increased by her open-mouthed smile. It makes it hard to compare. She's certainly got a strong resemblance to the original sketch.

I don't see the timeline as a problem. There doesn't seem to be any indication she met with foul play right away. Plus it gives her time to get from Washington to Maryland.

I have wondered for a long time who this Jane Doe is. Years ago when I would go to Ocean City Maryland we would pass Frederick MD. Now myy son is going to college in Arlington VA next month, so I will be passing Frederick a lot more often. She could be from anywhere.

From your link. Thanks.

But on this day, for the first time, Johnson — an advocate for crime victims who has spent decades in the online community of amateur sleuths — had concrete reason for hope.

Maryland State Police have a DNA profile of the victim, spokesperson Elena Russo confirmed. Johnson is convinced the mystery could be solved if that profile is uploaded to a forensic genealogical database, and she’s committed to raising the money to make it happen.

“This case could be solved easily,” Johnson said.

Police believe the Jane Doe was between the ages of 15 and 29 when she died, and they suspected foul play at the time, according to previous Frederick News-Post reporting. On July 31, 1991, a State Highway Administration worker stumbled across her body while cutting weeds along I-270 at Baker Valley Road within Monocacy National Battlefield.

She was “badly decomposed” at that point, according to the federal National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, lying face-down at the bottom of a 26-foot embankment. Detectives at the time estimated she’d been dead for several weeks. Her exact cause of death isn’t known.

Johnson calmly recited the short list of indisputable facts. She was a white female with distinctively protruding front teeth. She wore denim shorts and a tank top. Her hair was brown, and her fingers and toes were painted pink.

For three decades, Jane Doe hasn’t left Johnson’s mind. She remembers watching the news all those years ago from a Frederick apartment as police reported the discovery for the first time.
upload_2021-8-2_8-13-29.png
more….at link

upload_2021-8-2_8-18-54.jpeg
Unclaimed, but not forgotten

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-2_8-18-0.png
    upload_2021-8-2_8-18-0.png
    720.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
On the 30th anniversary of the discovery of a woman found murdered on the side of I-270 in Frederick, she is still yet to be identified. One organization is looking to change that by bringing awareness to her death and other unsolved murder cases like this Jane Doe.

The FBI Violent Criminal Apprehension Program, or ViCAP, describes the woman as a white female with black or brown hair between the age of 17 and 25 when she passed away. Her cause of death remains unknown as her body was found badly decomposed at the bottom of an embankment along the southbound side of I-270. Investigators believe the victim had been killed as long as two weeks prior to her discovery.

frederick-jane-doe-fbi-missing-person-ad.png

“She was possibly as young as 15-years-old and the case has never been solved. So we’re here today to remember her,” Johnson said. “She deserves justice. She’s somebody’s daughter, somebody’s cousin, somebody’s, you know, granddaughter out there. Somebody out there is looking for her. I can guarantee you that.”

David Rossmeisl moved to Frederick around the time of the accident but paid little attention to it at the time. 30 years later and now with a daughter and two granddaughters of his own, he wants to bring closure to the family of this Jane Doe. when asked how he would feel if it were his daughter, he could not answer, saying he didn’t even want to think about it and that he is lucky his family is not in a similar situation.

“Just vaguely I do remember it. But of course, just moving to the area, it didn’t really hit, you know, the heart,” Rossmeisel said. “But now, it’s a real situation. And I feel strongly, now that I have time, to help in something like this, I’ll do what I can to help.”

The Maryland Missing Persons Network is trying to raise the funds necessary to run genetic testing on the remains of this Jane Doe which they hope will identify her and potentially close the case.

For more information about the Maryland Missing Persons Network, please visit their website.
Vigil marks 30 years since discovery of unidentified female homicide victim off of I-270 in Frederick | WDVM25 & DCW50 | Washington, DC

I have wondered for a long time who this Jane Doe is. Years ago when I would go to Ocean City Maryland we would pass Frederick MD. Now myy son is going to college in Arlington VA next month, so I will be passing Frederick a lot more often. She could be from anywhere.

I really think it's a local case, but could be wrong...There's three reasons why:
(1) Someone called the Maryland State Police after she was found and gave very detailed information about her that placed her in a Frederick apartment weeks prior. Police are sure this is true because the caller gave information that wasn't made public.
(2) Something found on her was traced to Montgomery County.
(3) The location where she was found would make someone unfamiliar with the area reluctant to dump a body. There's a highway overpass right at Baker Valley Road, and most people dumping a body would be afraid of cars being able to see them from the underpass.

This Jane Doe's NamUs profile was modified on 8/3/23. It's not showing any new rule outs, maybe they are getting closer though to her identity.
List of rule outs - 12 exclusions

MP42348
Nadine
Mendonca
07/12/1991
Bristol
MA

MP6974
Heide
Wilbur
02/09/1991
Rutland