MD MD - Kathy Beatty, 15, Aspen Hill, 24 July 1975

The two keys pictured on the MCP website are indeed for a doorknob and for a GM vehicle's Ignition.

The key to the house doorknob is for a lock made by Schlage. While the police seem to think that it is 10 years old, I can state that I had one exactly like it which opened the origional doorknobs to my house built in 1976. I do not, however, know when those door knobs were made, and they may have been the last of that key type. When I needed to replace the doorknobs in the 1980's, that style was no longer available.

What I can say for certain is that the Schlage was almost always used as a house key on outside doorknobs. I have never seen an inside door or office door keyed with that style of key.

The GM vehicle key is for an ignition cylinder. I believe that GM began using that style of key with the rectangle end sometime in the late 1960's. Before it, they made a key with an octogon shaped end.

The police state that it was for a 1972 model. They may know this because each year, GM changed the long groove location along the side of the key. This meant that you could not put a 1972 key into a 1973 model lock.

By 1972, all GM automobiles (Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac) required TWO keys. The rectangle one (shown on the website) was for the ignition. Oval shaped ones were for the doors and trunks.

A possible exception, however, may have been the Chevy or GMC pick-up truck and possibly the Chevy or GMC van. I have not nailed it down for certain at this point. I know that in 1970, the ignition key also unlocked the doors on the pickup truck (and larger trucks). By 1973 Pickups had two keys - like the cars - one for ignition, and another for doors.

While it is possible that these are the keys of a teenager/young person - there could be another reason as well, such as spare keys, borrowed keys, or just that the guy reduced the amount of keys he was carrying because he was away from his home - such as living with a friend in the DC area. In that case, he would have put his other full ring of keys in his suitcase or briefcase, etc.

I am so surprised that after all these years, one of thos kids that supposedly saw her would not have come forward---they are adults now, and do not have anything to fear (getting in trouble with their parents, getting in trouble for drinking or drugs). I would think after all this time, someones conscience would overcome whatever fear they previously had.

This week marks the 34 year anniversary of Kathy's abduction and murder.

Kathy died of her injuries 34 years ago today. This case is an old one, but not forgotten.

This July will mark the 35th anniversary of the murder of Kathy Lynn Beatty.

The case remains open and active.

The "Old" Vitro building is gone, having been replaced by a Home Depot. There is a "back parking lot", however, which used to be part of the Vitro lot. This old lot is adjacent to homes in Kathy's neighborhood, and is actually quite close to her house. The most direct route for someone walking to K-Mart would have been right through this lot.

There is a very large Office building belonging today to BAE Systems. It is located on the corner of Aspen Hill Road and Connecticut Ave. This was the "New" Vitro building in 1975. It is adjacent to where the "Old" Vitro was located and the parking lot in question is accessable by driving to the rear of this building, or by taking the Home Depot exit off Georgia Ave.

The old Vitro parking lot mentioned above is today being used by the Home Depot to store pallets of topsoil, fertilizer, etc.

The BAE systems company seems to be moving out of the "new" (in 1975) building.

A while back, there was a renewed interest and press covarage in Kathy's murder, but nothing lately. The 35th anniversary is approaching.

The old Vitro parking lot mentioned above is today being used by the Home Depot to store pallets of topsoil, fertilizer, etc.

The BAE systems company seems to be moving out of the "new" (in 1975) building.

A while back, there was a renewed interest and press covarage in Kathy's murder, but nothing lately. The 35th anniversary is approaching.
Is the old parking lot the one directly adjacent to the southwest corner of the building? It fits, but I am just making sure.

As much as Coffey would fit due to his abrupt departure from the area after the initial newspaper article came out stating she was alive, I can't get away from the suspicious behavior of Kathy's peers in recounting the evening, both at the school and the two boys missing from the camper. I know much more has been discussed in the thread in the Lyon Sisters forum about Kathy's movements that evening and the groups with whom she may have met.

Is the old parking lot the one directly adjacent to the southwest corner of the building? It fits, but I am just making sure.

The parking lot I was referring to is one which is located almost due west of the current Home Depot and adjacent to the Aspen Hill subdivision where Kathy lived. It is somewhat north west of the current BAE systems building that was considered the "new" Vitro building in 1975.

Vitro Laboratories had several building locations. One was in Rockville, another was at or near Wheaton Plaza, and there were two near the intersection of Connecticut and Georgia Avenues in Aspen Hill, MD.

The parking lot I was referring to is one which is located almost due west of the current Home Depot and adjacent to the Aspen Hill subdivision where Kathy lived. It is somewhat north west of the current BAE systems building that was considered the "new" Vitro building in 1975.

Vitro Laboratories had several building locations. One was in Rockville, another was at or near Wheaton Plaza, and there were two near the intersection of Connecticut and Georgia Avenues in Aspen Hill, MD.
I'll go study to the Google Maps sat image again.

BAE Systems has just vacated what was once referred to as the "New" Vitro Building (back in 1975) located in Aspen Hill, Maryland. Here is some information about it:

13900 Connecticut Avenue Rockville, MD 20853Also known as:

4115 Aspen Hill Road Rockville, MD 20853

Management is by Lee Development Group ("LDG").

A fact sheet with demographics, floor plans, and images is available in PDF format from the LDG website. As of April 30, 2010, this office building is vacant and available for lease.

Originally this was built in the late 1960s (some sources state 1968) as Building Four of Vitro.

Later, Vitro was acquired by BAE Systems.

Retrieved from

"http://www.aspenhillnet.net/mediawiki/index.php/13900_Connecticut_Avenue"

Kathy Lynn Beatty was abducted, brutally beatten and left for dead in a rock and trash strewn field in Aspen Hill, MD on the evening of 24 July 1975. Twelve days later, in August 1975, she died in the hospital of her injuries, having never regained consciousness.

Remembering Kathy Lynn Beatty.

Kathy died of her injuries 36 years ago this month. Her case is still open and unsolved.

Bumping this case up, due to recent mention of it in the Carolyn Majane thread.

Although these two murders took place in different states, they were very close together in time and there are many similarities.

Both girls were 14, both were origionally from Montgomery County, MD. Both may have attended parties with other kids in remote areas, and both were brutally attacked and murdered. In both cases, young people were reluctant to give police any information.

This could all be coincidental, and perhaps kids at a party killed one or both girls. But perhaps they were killed by the same person - perhaps an older man who liked to hang around young kids, learned where they partied, and then preyed upon them. He may not have even been AT the party itself, only somewhere nearby.

In both cases, it is possible that the perpetrator used a motor vehicle to transport the bodies a short distance before disposing of them.

John Brennan Crutchley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I noticed Kathy's name appeared on John Brennan Crutchley's wiki page but could not see him mentioned in the thread so far -

Other disappearances in the area have not been definitely linked to Crutchley. A rash of disappearances also occurred in Pennsylvania when he resided there. In some cases bodies of women were found in remote areas in the state. Some investigators linked Crutchley with the disappearance of two teenaged girls, the Lyon Sisters in Wheaton, Maryland and a possible rape-murder of teenager Kathy Lynn Beatty[3] in nearby Aspen Hill, both in Montgomery County, where his second wife's family lived.

John Brennan Crutchley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I noticed Kathy's name appeared on John Brennan Crutchley's wiki page but could not see him mentioned in the thread so far -

You may be correct about his not being mentioned in this thread. However, if you visit Websleuths' featured case about the Missing Lyon sisters, Sheila and Katherine (25 March 1975), you will find him mentioned in two of the threads:
"Possible Suspects and Persons of Interest" and
"Kathy Lynn Beatty"

Crutchley died in prison a few years ago. He did not confess to any involvement in the Beatty or Lyon sisters cases before he died.

July 24th will mark the 37th anniversary of the brutal attack on Kathy Lynn Beatty which resulted in her death 12 days later.

In the evening of 24 July 1975, Kathy was walking alone, barefoot, in her Aspen Hill residential neighborhood. She spoke with several different friends that evening but was not at home when her mother returned from Baltimore.

She was found early the next morning in a trash strewn, rocky area adjacent to the K-Mart parking lot, near the intersection of Georgia Ave and Connecticut Ave. Kathy had been savagely beaten and molested and left for dead, but she was still living.

Taken to the hospital, she remained for 12 days in a coma before succombing to her injuries and subsequent infection.

Her case remains open, active, and unsolved.

In perusing this case, there seems to be a lot of information missing....I am specifically interested in the questioning of the alledged boy that Kathy still liked/old boyfriend. He and his friend were not where they were supposed to be that night. Then there is the report of two males carrying a female fitting Kathy's general description. The keys found at the scene - did LE try to tie them to the two boys in question? LE also made mentioned that the key fob looked like something made in shop at school - was this lead ever followed up regarding items that may have been made at schools nearby.
I have not tried to find more detail yet in researching further....just a few thoughts from reading this thread...
Creole

In perusing this case, there seems to be a lot of information missing....I am specifically interested in the questioning of the alledged boy that Kathy still liked/old boyfriend. He and his friend were not where they were supposed to be that night. Then there is the report of two males carrying a female fitting Kathy's general description. The keys found at the scene - did LE try to tie them to the two boys in question? LE also made mentioned that the key fob looked like something made in shop at school - was this lead ever followed up regarding items that may have been made at schools nearby.
I have not tried to find more detail yet in researching further....just a few thoughts from reading this thread...
Creole

All good questions. I don't know the answers regarding the extent that LE investigated or interviewed the two boys. I am sure that they did interview them, and probably cleared them. As to the keys, they might or might not have had any connection to Kathy's murder, but again, LE probably did check them against doors and vehicles of folks they interviewed.

Police, early on in the investigation, spoke openly of their suspicion of kids in the neighborhood being responsible for Kathy's death.

The attack on Kathy was so viscious and brutal that it does not seem likely that she was killed by Junior High School students. Possible, maybe, but not likely in my estimation. I feel that the man who attacked her had previous experience in abducting and attacking children. I also think that he truly believed that he had killed her when he left her lying in that rock strewn field.

PAROLE HAS BEEN DENIED to convicted child killer, Fred Howard Coffey Jr.

He won't be moving into the house next door any time soon.

The following is from Amanda Ray's mother:

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you again from the bottom of our hearts to those of you who took the time to send a letter to the parole board on Amanda's behalf.

Fred H. Coffey will remain behind bars for another three years. He will come up for possible parole again in July 2015.

I spoke with his case analyst and she assured me that she read every letter that was sent in (received over 100) and that they were each taken into consideration when making the decision.

We will need your help again in 2015 and our goal is to get MANY more than 100 letters sent... Let's send THOUSANDS!!With deepest gratitude,

Jennifer Ray

A parole review date is set for July 21, 2015

LINK:

http://justice4amanda.tripod.com/

Given Coffey's employment within a couple of hundred yards of where she was found, the timing of his extremely sudden movement from the area (when she was found alive), and his status as a serial killer, it seems awfully likely he's the culprit.

The only thing that seems to weigh against that is his age preference. He seemed to go younger otherwise.

The girl's mother and police seemed to focus on neighborhood teenagers. I'm curious whether that belief held once the information on Coffey came out? Do they still think it was likely someone else?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back