MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, btw, there are some video's in the links. I don't have sound, so if anyone views the video's can you please summarize?

tia!

Oh, btw, there are some video's in the links. I don't have sound, so if anyone views the video's can you please summarize?

tia!

Cubby, I watched the video on the link you provided. In a nutshell, as you mentioned, the prosecution alleges that two witnesses saw Michael Johnson struggling with a 35 gallon storage container. The prosecution wants to bring in a 35 gallon container and have someone the size of Phylicia get in the container in order to show that it is possible for someone her size to fit in the container. However, since the storage container was never found, the defense counters that the prosecution should not be allowed to conduct such a demonstration. So far, the judge is siding with the defense but is saying that he could change his mind later.

The defense is also saying that the prosecutors rushed to indict Michael Johnson in order to divert attention from the detective Nicholson's troubles. Nicholson is alleged to have mis-used department resources when he conducted a search for his daughter who was missing.

That was the gist of the video.

Jurors picked in Michael Johnson murder trial

ryru4y5u.jpg

A jury has been selected in the trial of Michael Johnson, the man accused of killing North Carolina teenager Phylicia Barnes in December 2010.

The jury, made up of 12 people and a few alternates, was picked around 8 p.m. Wednesday. Opening statements are set for Friday.

Pretrial motions will be heard in court on Thursday. No jurors will be present.

Johnson, 28, is accused of killing the 16-year-old Barnes while she was visiting family in Baltimore. Johnson was arrested in April 2012 and charged with murder.

Over the course of the jury selection process, attorneys argued over a 35-gallon storage bin that prosecutors said Johnson used to move Barnes' body after he killed her in her sister's apartment. Defense attorneys got the judge to agree that a demonstration using a similar bin shouldn't be allowed in court, but the judge said another ruling could come later.

The attorneys also argued about the lead detective in the case, Daniel Nicholson, who was suspended last year on charges that he misused police resources to go into an apartment and search for his own missing daughter, who was later located unharmed.

Defense attorneys questioned Nicholson's credibility, saying he operated outside the lines of his duties in both cases. His record as an officer also came into question because it includes several arrests in domestic situations, but no convictions.

I-Team lead investigative reporter Jayne Miller is at court and will have more details on the pretrial motions in Thursday evening's newscasts.

http://m.wbaltv.com/news/Jurors-pic...l/-/17427430/18261858/-/133kjiwz/-/index.html

JUSTICE FOR PHYLICIA SIMONE BARNES!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Prosecution outlines case against Johnson in opening arguments

Prosecutors said permissiveness by Phylicia Barnes’ older sister allowed the teen to indulge in drugs and alcohol, leading to a drunken, naked romp with an older man that would lead to her death six months later.

In opening statements, Assustabt State’s Attorney Lisa Goldberg told jurors the night of June 13, 2010 was a “changing point” between Phylicia – a 16-year-old who lived in North Carolina and often visited older sister Deena -and Michael Maurice Johnson, a 28-year-old who had dated Deena for 10 years.

At a party, they went streaking, then went to a neighborhood school and filmed themselves “nakedly touching” each other. Goldberg said that while touching Deena, Johnson was looking at her younger sister, and in the ensuing months exchanged 1,300 text messages with her. Prosecutors plan to play the tape for the jury.

In a twist, prosecutors also disclosed that after Johnson’s April 2012 indictment, a petty thief named James McCray told investigators that Johnson called him to the apartment on the day Barnes was killed, showing him her body and asking for advice on what to do.

Prosecutors acknowledged that they don’t know how Johnson transported her body to the river 40 miles east of Baltimore where it was found, but say Johnson acted erratically that day, calling out of work and purchasing a plastic tub from a Wal-Mart that they believe he used to move the body.

Defense says witness’s claim is invalid

Defense attorneys for Michael Maurice Johnson said prosecutors overreached in charging their client.

“This is not about sex, lies and videotape,” Russel Neverdon told the jury, referring to a tape of the defendant and victim engaged in a naked romp months before she was killed.

Neverdon said none of the hundreds of text messages Johnson exchanged with Barnes were inappropriate or suggestive, and that Johnson was seen moving things out of the apartment he shared with Barnes’ older sister because she had asked him to move out by the end if the year.

The witness who prosecutors say Johnson called for advice on moving the body is a “jailhouse snitch” who “can’t tell Michael Johnson from Michael Jordan,” Neverdon said. He also said there was no DNA evidence and that Barnes’ body showed no sign of injury.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...cia-barnes-trial-20130122,0,5104131.htmlstory

Praying for FULL JUSTICE! Rest In Paradise Phylicia Barnes ♥

Prosecution outlines case against Johnson in opening arguments

Prosecutors said permissiveness by Phylicia Barnes’ older sister allowed the teen to indulge in drugs and alcohol, leading to a drunken, naked romp with an older man that would lead to her death six months later.

In opening statements, Assustabt State’s Attorney Lisa Goldberg told jurors the night of June 13, 2010 was a “changing point” between Phylicia – a 16-year-old who lived in North Carolina and often visited older sister Deena -and Michael Maurice Johnson, a 28-year-old who had dated Deena for 10 years.

At a party, they went streaking, then went to a neighborhood school and filmed themselves “nakedly touching” each other. Goldberg said that while touching Deena, Johnson was looking at her younger sister, and in the ensuing months exchanged 1,300 text messages with her. Prosecutors plan to play the tape for the jury.

<snip>

Prosecutors acknowledged that they don&#8217;t know how Johnson transported her body to the river 40 miles east of Baltimore where it was found, but say Johnson acted erratically that day, calling out of work and purchasing a plastic tub from a Wal-Mart that they believe he used to move the body.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...cia-barnes-trial-20130122,0,5104131.htmlstory

Praying for FULL JUSTICE! Rest In Paradise Phylicia Barnes &#9829;

:thud: o-m-g :what: :thud: The sex tape is from June of 2010. I'm stunned. Never in a million years would I have thought the sex tape was from a visit other than the Christmas visit.

My initial thought was why did Phylicia agree to go back in December, but then I recall her mother stating MJ was supposed to have already been moved out by the time Phylicia arrived for that Christmas visit. MJ postponed his move deliberately to get his chance with Phylicia. :furious:

I have no words I can say for Deena that are within TOS here. None. Who in their right mind engages in sex with their partner in front of their younger teenage sibling? That's like incest. Sick. There is a special place in hell for anyone who throws their younger siblings to the wolves. That is exactly what happened to poor Phylicia by her older half siblings here. I didn't think I could be more furious with them, than MJ, but I am. :furious:

And the tub being purchased at Walmart. I wonder if that means a receipt exists proving the tub was purchased on the day of Phylicia's disappearance.

:thud:

Justice for Phylicia!

:thud: o-m-g :what: :thud: The sex tape is from June of 2010. I'm stunned. Never in a million years would I have thought the sex tape was from a visit other than the Christmas visit.

My initial thought was why did Phylicia agree to go back in December, but then I recall her mother stating MJ was supposed to have already been moved out by the time Phylicia arrived for that Christmas visit. MJ postponed his move deliberately to get his chance with Phylicia. :furious:

I have no words I can say for Deena that are within TOS here. None. Who in their right mind engages in sex with their partner in front of their younger teenage sibling? That's like incest. Sick. There is a special place in hell for anyone who throws their younger siblings to the wolves. That is exactly what happened to poor Phylicia by her older half siblings here. I didn't think I could be more furious with them, than MJ, but I am. :furious:

And the tub being purchased at Walmart. I wonder if that means a receipt exists proving the tub was purchased on the day of Phylicia's disappearance.

:thud:

Justice for Phylicia!

I am shocked also. It seems like they just doped her up, gave her alcohol, and then had their way with her.

Kelly Barnes is prosecution&#8217;s first witness

Prosecutors called Kelly Barnes, Phylicia&#8217;s other older half-sister, as their first witness following opening statements. She testified that Phylicia was seven years old when they first met, and Phylicia later reached out to her and Deena Barnes over Facebook. That began a series of visits to Baltimore to stay with her sisters, with whom she grew close.

&#8220;We were all sisters, we all have a part of each other,&#8221; she testified.

At first, Phylicia would stay at the apartment of Kelly, who lived by herself. They would watch television and talk, and Phylicia would go to work with her. But on subsequent trips, she stayed with Deena, who lived with Michael Johnson and one of Johnson&#8217;s cousins. Asked why Phylicia started staying with Deena, Kelly said, &#8220;My house might be boring.&#8221;

more at link:

In a twist, prosecutors also disclosed that after Johnson’s April 2012 indictment, a petty thief named James McCray told investigators that Johnson called him to the apartment on the day Barnes was killed, showing him her body and asking for advice on what to do.

Thoughts on this witness?

My immediate thoughts were not even close to credible. There was a 20,000 reward for Phylicia. Why would he wait until an indictment to make this statement? He apparently did not contact LE when she was missing and the reward was announced. Did not contact LE when her body was found, but wait's until an indictment to come forward? Really?

The first thing that crossed my mind is James thoughts were, you're going to trial, I'll get up on the stand and say whatever you want me to say. I hope the prosecution has a very good explanation on why this witness waited until an indictment before coming forward, even though he allegedly saw Phylicia's body on the day she was murdered more than a year earlier.

Just based on the above info, this smells like a Brodsky putting Harry Smith on the stand moment in reverse if the prosecution calls this witness.

Thoughts on McCray anyone?

Any of our social networking sleuths find a connection between McCray and Johnson? Were they in the same social circles?

Thoughts on this witness?

My immediate thoughts were not even close to credible. There was a 20,000 reward for Phylicia. Why would he wait until an indictment to make this statement? He apparently did not contact LE when she was missing and the reward was announced. Did not contact LE when her body was found, but wait's until an indictment to come forward? Really?

The first thing that crossed my mind is James thoughts were, you're going to trial, I'll get up on the stand and say whatever you want me to say. I hope the prosecution has a very good explanation on why this witness waited until an indictment before coming forward, even though he allegedly saw Phylicia's body on the day she was murdered more than a year earlier.

Just based on the above info, this smells like a Brodsky putting Harry Smith on the stand moment in reverse if the prosecution calls this witness.

Thoughts on McCray anyone?

McCray's testimony is automatically suspect to me as well, for the reasons you've cited above. Like you, I sincerely hope the prosecution has much more going for their case than this witness. I understand that prosecutors often have to work with questionable witnesses but they're definitely going to need a tight case if they want a conviction here. I'm a little concerned that they put the shady character on the stand so early in the case. JMO, MOO

Kelly Barnes is prosecution’s first witness

Prosecutors called Kelly Barnes, Phylicia’s other older half-sister, as their first witness following opening statements. She testified that Phylicia was seven years old when they first met, and Phylicia later reached out to her and Deena Barnes over Facebook. That began a series of visits to Baltimore to stay with her sisters, with whom she grew close.

“We were all sisters, we all have a part of each other,” she testified.

At first, Phylicia would stay at the apartment of Kelly, who lived by herself. They would watch television and talk, and Phylicia would go to work with her. But on subsequent trips, she stayed with Deena, who lived with Michael Johnson and one of Johnson’s cousins. Asked why Phylicia started staying with Deena, Kelly said, “My house might be boring.”

more at link:

This made me cry. If only Phylicia had stayed at the boring house instead. She'd probably still be alive.

Tape shows accused killer's desire for Barnes, prosecution says,
State also says it has a witness that saw Phylicia Barnes' body.

aduzynym.jpg

prosecutors said Friday that a sexually charged video depicting teenager Phylicia Barnes and the man accused of killing her shows a turning point in the relationship that ultimately led to her death.

Assistant State's Attorney Lisa Goldberg also said in opening statements that a witness will testify that defendant Michael Maurice Johnson showed him Barnes' body after she died, in a plea for help. Defense lawyers said that witness is unreliable and shows that the state has a weak case.

Barnes had connected over social media with her long-lost half sisters and they quickly became close, Goldberg said. But one of those sisters, Deena Barnes, saw her more as an adult girlfriend than a little sister and, during her trips from her home in North Carolina to Baltimore, allowed her to drink alcohol.
<mod snip>

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...licia-trial-day-four-20130125,0,6329154.story

Praying for FULL JUSTICE for Phylicia Simone Barnes.

I don't know how Deena Barnes can look at herself in the mirror knowing she is ultimately responsible for Phylicia's murder. :mad:

She must of been given immunity in exchange for her testimony because I am still trying to understand why she hasn't been charged with anything! My prayers are with Janice Sallis-Mustafa.. I can't even imagine how she is feeling right now. :(

I don't know how Deena Barnes can look at herself in the mirror knowing she is ultimately responsible for Phylicia's murder. :mad:

She must of been given immunity in exchange for her testimony because I am still trying to understand why she hasn't been charged with anything! My prayers are with Janice Sallis-Mustafa.. I can't even imagine how she is feeling right now. :(

Respectfully snipped. The more I read about Deena's behavior and permissiveness, streaking with her sister, sleeping in the bed with her sister and other males and I am sure this is just a scratch in the icing.... I think life is going to be very difficult for Deena on the inside or the outside.

Her future is going to be incredibly hindered by the choices she made during Phylicia's visits. Her future employement, prospects for a long term relationship, choices for her children should she decide to have any... Think about how many parents would allow their children to hang out with and at the home of any children Deena might have. Probably not many.

She's created mountains of hurdles for herself which will likely last a lifetime, and that doesn't even include what she might be going through emotionally, knowing her choices cost another person their life.

And nevermind RB. He's a day late and a dollar short for the father of the year award. His 11th hour nonsense isn't fooling anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv