MD MD - Toya Hill, 8, Baltimore, 24 March 1982

I know that the det. on this case is doing DNA compairison on a young Jane Doe found in another State. I submitted the possible match and he thinks it is a good chance it is her. The Jane Doe was found in 83 and had been there 1 years or longer. She had been ruled out by DNA on the child with her head cut off in a cellar, I can not remember what state right off hand.

Betty

Dna should be back anytime now. I talked to det. The other day. Like he said waiting is the hardest.

This month marks the 27th anniversary of the disappearance of little Toya Hill. Perhaps the case can be solved soon.

I truely believe it will be solved this year. Just wait and see, It is all lined up.

Years later, still waiting for a child to return

Annette Stanley may no longer set a place at the dinner table for her daughter, Toya Hill, something she did for about a year after the 8-year-old disappeared going to buy candy at a store near their East Baltimore home.

It has been, after all, almost 29 years since the quiet, bespectacled little girl vanished, a span of time in which Stanley has married, moved and seen Toya's three siblings grow up and give her 15 grandchildren. But with or without an actual place setting, her lost daughter remains a constant, if elusive, presence.

More: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-missing-children-20110205,0,4175978.story

Next month will mark the 30 year Anniversary of Toya Hill's disappearance.

I have a couple of thoughts. Doesn't it seem strange that the mom got married 3 days after her daughter goes missing? I think I'd be a puddle on the floor, unable to do anything but search for my daughter.

And why would you have a child declared dead 8 years after they've disappeared? It's highly unlikely this child had any assets, such as life insurance or property, and I'm curious about what other reasons there could be. Are missing children, such as Shawn Hornbeck, normally declared dead?

I have a son that is going to be 10 next month and if he disappeared I'd be so frantic with worry I'd barely be able to breathe, let alone go on with a wedding that I had planned.

I just don't understand ANY of it. The mother going on with the wedding, not looking for her daughter until she divorced the man she had married (why????) and then marrying the guy that she thought had taken her daughter. It's just a whole lot of crazy.

33 years. Did the police ever tracked down the men she was seen talking?

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

The article that was posted last page, read it. Seems the mother went through with the wedding because the ex-boyfriend was angry that she was getting married to someone else, and she was convinced he was keeping Toya hostage to spite her. She called him a few times to beg him to let her go, to which he replied that he didn't have her. She ended up divorcing Mr. Poindexter because she realized she only married him out of desperation to keep the ex at bay; her and the ex eventually patched things up and got married years later. The ex and his friend were cleared of involvement. Did LE ever look into pedophiles in the area?

The mother set a place at the table for Toya for a year after she disappeared, and only stopped because she realized how sad it was making her other kids. They were all so desperate to have back their daughter/sister, they were sleeping with her picture under their pillows. I really don't think the mother had anything to do with it.

I thought it was weird too Mom got married 3 days after daughter went missing. I would be an unconsolable mess who would probably have to be sedated.

From Charleyproject;

Toya departed from her family's residence at the Lafayette Homes, a public housing project in the 200 block of south Spring Street in Baltimore, Maryland, on March 24, 1982. She came home from school and her mother gave her a snack and permission to play outside.

Toya's mother left the house at 6:15 p.m. While she was gone, Toya left to walk to a grocery store two blocks away at the corner of Gough Street and south Caroline Street. Near the store, she stopped to talk to her mother's ex-boyfriend and one of his male friends.

Toya apparently never arrived home from the store. She wasn't allowed to walk there by herself and had told her sister she was going to do it anyway while her mother was out, and buy candy. She was described as a quiet, well-behaved child won trophies at school for regular attendance and participation in school activities; this was the first time she had ever disobeyed her mother.

When Toya's mother arrived home at 7:30 p.m., Toya was missing. She has been heard from again.

Toya was in the third grade at City Springs Elementary School in 1982. She lived with her mother, her two brothers and her sister. She was supposed to be the flower girl at her mother's wedding ceremony three days after she disappeared.

Her mother, Annette Stanley, initially believed her ex-boyfriend had taken Toya in order to convince Stanley to start seeing him again. She repeatedly asked him about Toya, but he said he didn't have her and didn't know what had happened to her.

Stanley said she went ahead with her wedding on schedule because she thought this would encourage her ex-boyfriend to give Toya back. After that marriage ended, she renewed her relationship with her ex-boyfriend and married him. She said she did this because she still believed he knew where Toya was.

Stanley left the man again only a few months a few months into their marriage. He is now deceased.

Stanley is still alive and still lives in the area, and hopes that her daughter may yet be found. Little information is available in Toya's case, but foul play is suspected.

Strikes me as odd that the prime suspect was the last person to see her?He admitted seeing her at the store but denied having anything to do with the dissapearence. Perhaps he was innocent and this was all but tunnel vision but I would like to see him ruled out defenitely first.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Toya Katrina Hill – The Charley Project
Toya Katrina Hill

• toya_katrina_hill_1.jpg
  • toya_katrina_hill_2.jpg
Toya, circa 1982; Age-progression to age 34 (circa 2007)

• Missing Since03/24/1982
  • Missing FromBaltimore, Maryland
  • ClassificationNon-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth08/24/1973 (46)
  • Age8 years old
  • Height and Weight4'0, 80 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA blue jacket, a blue and orange striped top and blue jeans.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Toya wears eyeglasses, but she wasn't wearing them at the time of her disappearance. She has a chipped front tooth and a deep dimple in her left cheek.
STREET VIEW of the public housing project she lived at and was last seen leaving

Google Maps

She was last seen here, the corner between Gough Street and Caroline Street, also inthe middle of housing projects.

Google Maps

Found this newspaper clipping from the Baltimore Evening Sun, 4/3/82.

Some of the slight discrepancies in the story are interesting. Was the mother actually still home when Toya left for the store? This article indicates that some of Toya's friends were with her before she left for the store with a man; could this man be someone other than Toya's mother's ex? I wonder if any of Toya's friends could be interviewed again. These friends claim that Toya went into the grocery store, but the store clerk said he never saw her inside.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 1.14.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 1.14.24 AM.png
    708 KB · Views: 13

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads