Identified! MD - Woodlawn, WhtFem 279UFMD, 15-25, near cemetery, 'JP' Tattoo, Sep'76 - Margaret Fetterolf

Anyone interested in the morgue photo? It's not tremendously graphic like some are, but I hesitate to post it without the warning in the thread title. Maybe I should start a morgue photo thread with only the photos and case information links. No case discussions, just the photos and info.

What does everyone think?:twocents:

Sounds like a good idea -- I'm not particularly bothered by them, and find them very useful, but I know other people find them really upsetting.

The three-year gap is a bit of a stretch, especially since they seem fairly certain she was abducted the day she disappeared

Yeah, I agree it is quite a stretch. As for her disappearance, LE has nothing more than theories and unconfirmed accounts from witnesses to a struggle, but I do believe in the Occam's Razor principle (i.e., that the simplest explanation is the most likely one.). She most likely was murdered and buried around the time that she disappeared.

How far is it from Dayton to Maryland?

485 miles

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....389556,0.699692&g=Dayton,+OH&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=7

Sharon's name seems to come up quite often as a possible other UID's. It may just be that she has such an ordinary look that could resemble a lot of girls, and also that there are a limited number of MPs listed for the early 70's and prior.

Anyone interested in the morgue photo? It's not tremendously graphic like some are, but I hesitate to post it without the warning in the thread title. Maybe I should start a morgue photo thread with only the photos and case information links. No case discussions, just the photos and info.

What does everyone think?:twocents:

I think it is OK to post them on this thread (and than ask a mod to put the warning in the title). There are plenty of morgue photos on this site that anyone who is squeamish would have been chased away long ago.

Yeah, I agree it is quite a stretch. As for her disappearance, LE has nothing more than theories and unconfirmed accounts from witnesses to a struggle, but I do believe in the Occam's Razor principle (i.e., that the simplest explanation is the most likely one.). She most likely was murdered and buried around the time that she disappeared.

485 miles

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....389556,0.699692&g=Dayton,+OH&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=7

Sharon's name seems to come up quite often as a possible other UID's. It may just be that she has such an ordinary look that could resemble a lot of girls, and also that there are a limited number of MPs listed for the early 70's and prior.

I think it's a reasonable long shot -- the basics match, the distance is kind of long but direct, and if the UID were from the Baltimore area, they would probably have figured out who she was. I'd say it's worth a try.

Her morgue photo.

Attachments

• 279ufmd9nd_th.jpg
    279ufmd9nd_th.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 212
I tried to contact the detective working this cold case yestereday but still waiting for a return phone call. I will also mention Sharon Pretorius. I will post any feed back that I get from the police.

I came across some possibilities: I think this could be Deborah Lowe 1673DFFL. There are also: Dorthy Clitheroe 932DFAZ, Jamie Grissin 1375DFFL, Debra Pscholka 889DFCA or Kathy Wilcox 1367DFMI. Does anyone know if these girls have been compared?

I do not know if any of the girls you mentioned were compared to the unknown girl found in Baltimore County, MD in 1976. What similarities are you seeing?

Here is what the case files say about each of your young ladies:

Deborah Lowe 1673DFFL
Lowe, 13 was last seen 29 Feb 1972 walking to Rickards Middle School in Pompano Beach, FL. Her parents called the police when she failed to come home from school.
The family was new to South Florida. They had just moved down from West Virginia.
Gerald Schaefer, one of South Florida's most brutal serial killers has been named as a suspect. Schaefer, a onetime Martin County police deputy, had been linked to the deaths of 20 or more girls and young women between 1969 and 1972, including at least two other girls from Pompano Beach. His victims ranged in age from 9 to 25.

Dorthy Clitheroe 932DFAZ
Clitheroe, 14, was last seen was last seen 20 Sept 1973 walking toward the restrooms in Cortez Park located at 35th Avenue and Dunlap in Phoenix, Arizona in 1973. She may have traveled to Portland, Oregon or Houston, Texas.

Jamie Grissin 1375DFFL
Grissim was last seen on the morning of December 7, 1971, as she left for school at Ft. Vancouver High School, by her sister.
Her purse, ID, and possessions were found in May 1972 in the woods North East of Vancouver, at a bridge crossing within very short distance from a trail where two victims were found.
Grissim is considered to be the first victim of a potential serial killer, believed to have raped and killed 6 young Vancouver women, 8 total in Clark County between January 10, 1972 and October 1, 1974. He was tried for the death of one woman in 1978 and received life sentence. The bodies of five have been recovered in rural Clark County and deemed homicides. Grissim is still missing.
Her death certificate marked presumed death date of December 7, 1971 was issued March 23, 2009.

Debra Pscholka 889DFCA
Pscholka, 12, was last seen June 5, 1971 in Corona, CA, after going to the movie theater with some friends. Pscholka told them she was going to the local park.
The movie theater was on 6th Street but it is no longer there. Debra was last seen around 20.15. Foul play is suspected.

Kathy Wilcox 1367DFMI
Wilcox, 15, was last seen leaving her home on July 12, 1972 to go for a walk. She never returned home and has not been heard from since.

This may seem a little far fetched, but Karen Kamsch wasn't reported missing until 2007 by her brother. His grandma said that she was missing since the winter of 1976. The UID was found in Sept of 1976 in MD (also where Karen Kamsch went missing from)

Maybe the grandma wasn't exactly sure of the date she went missing..

Also they don't list Karen's height or weight on her profile... http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kamsch_karen.html

Just a thought what do you think??

I actually see a resemblance; however, the doe was 5'8 and 156 pounds. It doesn't say how big Karen was. My own 14 year old is almost 5'9, but she is tall for her age. And the picture of Karen does not look like someone who weighs 156 pounds. Still, it's worth looking into. It would make sense that they wouldn't identify her if she hadn't been reported missing.

This may seem a little far fetched, but Karen Kamsch wasn't reported missing until 2007 by her brother. His grandma said that she was missing since the winter of 1976. The UID was found in Sept of 1976 in MD (also where Karen Kamsch went missing from)

Maybe the grandma wasn't exactly sure of the date she went missing..

Also they don't list Karen's height or weight on her profile... http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kamsch_karen.html

Just a thought what do you think??

Both Karen's grandmother and her father claimed that they reported Karen missing in 1976. It does not surprise me at all that police later claimed to have had no such report. If Karen had run away on other occasions, and reports were made, those reports would have been cancelled when she returned. It is possible that reports and cancellations got mixed up. And it is also quite possible that police, having heard that the girl was a frequent run away, decided not to do their job the last time she was reported missing. Or possibly the report was misfiled at some point along the line.

As to the exact time that Karen disappeared, I would think that school records would be a good source for investigators to search. If Karen was indeed missing as early as September 1976, then she might be a candidate for comparison. However, the time frame is close. And the location is also quite possible.

I have a feeling that the Jane Doe was a bit older than Karen.

Side by side of Karen and UID -- Karen's on the right.

The resemblance looks pretty strong, especially through the cheekbones, upper lip, and chin and jaw. The fact she wasn't listed as missing until years later means that any date of disappearance is fuzzy at best. Karen looks like a robust young woman with big bones -- could easily weigh that much.

I say it's worth submitting.

Attachments

• 279UFMD.jpg
    279UFMD.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 279UFMD2.jpg
    279UFMD2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 103
  • kamsch_karen.jpg
    kamsch_karen.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 21
A previous link to the Baltimore County Police website is no longer working. The below information is what is contained on the current site and there is an updated link to it at the end of the post. This site has a composite photo of Woodlawn Jane Doe and also a morgue photo of her face.
-------------------------------------------
Unidentified Female
1976 Homicide Victim

On September 12, 1976, the body of a Caucasian female was located in the 5600-block of Dogwood Road in the Precinct 2/Woodlawn area of Baltimore County, a short distance from the Lorraine Park Cemetery.

The victim died as a result of asphyxia and her death was ruled a homicide.She is believed to have been in her late teens to mid 20s, approximately 5' 8" tall and weighed 159 pounds. She had shoulder-length brown hair, brown eyes, a 1 1/2" scar on her left thigh and a "rough" (not professionally done) tattoo of letters that appear to be "J.P." on her upper right arm.

When discovered, she was wearing a white/beige pullover short sleeve top, beige/yellow Levi jeans, a white bra, brown colored shoes, a rawhide string necklace with a small round blue object affixed.

Since her discovery, detectives from the Baltimore County Police Department have launched an extensive investigation in an effort to locate the person or persons responsible for her murder. In addition, nationwide missing person/fingerprint searches have been conducted in an effort to identify the victim. The attempt to find her killer(s) and all efforts conducted to positively identify her have been unsuccessful.

On the morning several hours before her body was discovered, witnesses report observing a light blue Ford Econoline van parked in the area of where her body was found.

Reward Offered

Anyone with information regarding this case is urged to contact the Homicide Unit's Unsolved Case Squad at 410-887-3943 or Communication Unit at 410-307-2020.

Callers may remain anonymous and can also contact Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCKUP (1-866-756-2587) to be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000. Information concerning the case is available on the Doe Network's web site at www.doenetwork.org, case number 279UFMD.

Revised June 23, 2009

Source
Victim of 1976 Homicide Remains Unidentified

LINK:

http://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Ag...unsolved_homicides/doe_1976_homicide.mdr.html

Richard, you probably should mark that link as including a morgue photo. It's not bloody or creepy or anything, but it weirds some people out.

Richard, you probably should mark that link as including a morgue photo. It's not bloody or creepy or anything, but it weirds some people out.

I did mention it at the top of my post. This was basically the same info and photos which were on the earlier link, but the website had moved.

Take a look at this article, in regard to the disappearance of Denise Foglietta. Denise, 14, went missing from her Ormond Beach, FL home at the beginning of September, 1976 (ironically, the report appeared in a Daytona Beach newspaper the same day the Woodlawn Jane Doe was discovered). Obviously there are some major discrepancies, namely the height and weight. However, the facial resemblance is uncanny.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...BAJ&pg=4213,4136980&dq=denise-foglietta&hl=en

If anyone with more computer skills than I possess can pull the photo from the article and do a "side by side", please feel free.

I agree, as I stated...But the timing and the facial resemblance made it seem worth posting.
Besides, as we've seen in other cases, posted stats can be unreliable in the extreme.

It took some fiddling, but I think I finally have the photo of Denise extracted. She's the one on the left, if I did it right.

Google didn't turn up anything else at all about this girl and I couldn't find her on any of the missing websites, which makes me think she might have been found?

I agree, numbers are often wildly off, but 5'1" to 5'8" is the difference between a petite girl and a robust one, and they aren't guessing from skeletal remains. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a stretch.

Attachments

• denise foglietta.jpg
    denise foglietta.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 37
  • 279UFMD2.jpg
    279UFMD2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 105
  • doe_1976_homicide.jpg
    doe_1976_homicide.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 47

Members online

Online statistics