ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes, 18 killed *shooter found dead* Oct 2023 #2

RSBM

Wow. I need to research this. Abusers typically hurt the people they live with. This massively affects all domestic violence victims in the state.
Yes, it does because Maine's law doesn't allow family members to ask a Judge to temporarily remove weapons. It's a terrible law. I hope it is changed.

JMO

It doesn't stop them from turning to someone else who can remove the weapons. They can call police, file a restraining order, etc. We have to think about both sides of these scenarios. Let's say family members were allowed to take weapons. So the abuser you mention could confiscate his victim's gun that the victim bought to protect him/herself and then lie about symptoms of dangerousness in the victim. It isn't black and white. JMO
Even if the family calls police, Maine's law still requires the person to be in police custody AND receive a mental health evaluation before LE can go to a judge and request removal of guns.

afaik, there is nothing in any state law that prevents family from taking weapons from a family member if they feel the person is a threat to themselves or others. In this case, Card's brother told LE the weapons would be removed and secured and that satisfied LE. Sadly, it wasn't done.

JMO

Because Maine’s law requires a medical evaluation not required in other states, Sagadahoc deputies would have needed to bring Card into protective custody before they could have confiscated his guns. But deputies twice failed to find Card when they visited his home, according to police reports. On one occasion, deputies believed they might have heard Card moving around inside his trailer. But police cannot obtain a warrant to bring someone into protective custody, Merry said, and escalating the situation by trying to force their way into the home could have been dangerous.

“You start breaching doors, nothing good comes from that,” Merry said, suggesting that a red flag law would be easier for law enforcement to implement. He said he did not oversee the welfare checks on Card or the decision to not pursue them further, but he believes that his deputies acted in accordance with protocol.

Incredibly tragic loss of life. My heart goes out to all of the victims and their loved ones, which is so so many people :(

I wanted to add something on the auditory hallucinations RC was having, given that he had hearing problems/was deaf(?) beforehand and was recently fitted with a hearing aid. Due to a large aspirin overdose when I was a teenager, I have permanent tinnitus (ringing in the ears). I only started having auditory hallucinations after I developed the tinnitus, and a psychiatrist told me that sometimes the human brain takes something like tinnitus and creates voices out of it because the brain doesn’t know what else to do with the constant ringing sound. These hallucinations still pop up randomly, but they’re not consistent anymore (I assume because my brain is used to the ringing now). I wonder if something like this was happening to RC, given that it seems these hallucinations began after he was fitted with hearing aids.

Hallucinations are terrifying, and they can make you hear and believe horrible things, but RC chose to hurt others rather than check himself into a facility or at the very least be open with someone in his life about what was going on. That’s where I lose sympathy.

I’m hoping all victims can rest easy, and that we can somehow figure out how to prevent these things from happening.

Ah, the bread delivery truck connection we had read about:

"According to a report obtained by the Portland Press Herald, the shooter told employees at the Country Kitchen Bakery, "maybe you will be the ones I snap on." The gunman was working as truck driver delivering bread at the time."

ME. "Substantial Threats" Family.
.... Maine's law doesn't allow family members to ask a Judge to temporarily remove weapons. It's a terrible law....
snipped for focus @MyBelle
First, pls note, I'm NOT addressing specifics of this tragic series of events but am speaking to the point about "family members" & this ME. statute.*
OP is correct, in the sense that a family member is not explicitly authorized under provisions of THIS statute (personally or thru counsel) to DIRECTLY ask a judge to order surrender of weapons..."
LE is the channel for making that request, contingent on a medical assessment.

Under this ME. law an LEO "may rely on information provided by a third party informant"** (could be a fam member) about ---
"the informant's recent personal observations of or conversations with a person, that the person may be mentally ill and that due to that condition the person poses a likelihood of serious harm as defined in section 3801, subsection 4‑A, paragraph A, B or C..." **

That is, LEO "may rely on" such info if LEO "confirms that the informant has reason to believe" there's a "likelihood of serious harm."***

If LEO has probable cause to believe person poses a "likelihood of serious harm" ** LEO may take the person into protective custody, deliver to medical practioner for assessment,

Then other procedures are triggered: med. assessment is submitted to judge, who makes decision "to endorse or not endorse"* it, transmits decision to LE, LE notifies person of requirement to surrender weapons, & of right to hearing w'in 14 days, etc.

IDK what the family member(s) actually said to LE in this case and will not speculate on what they told MSM about what they told LE or about the accuracy of what any reporters wrote.
Just speaking generally about some of the statute's procedural elements.

If a family member RECORDS (on cell phone?) a person's actions (brandishing firearms) & statements (threats, rants, raves, whatever) and provides that & further info to LE, imo jmo moo seems LE would find that helpful both in presenting info to med. practicioner assessing person and to judge deciding whether to endorse the med. assessment that "the person poses a likelihood of serious harm." **

Good, bad, or terrible (not giving an opinion about which), that* is the yellow flag statute the ME legislature enacted.
Like virtually any other statute on any subject, it cannot successfully address every circumstance its sponsors, supporters, or some voters & residents hoped it would. If only, sigh.

BTW, OTHER OPTIONS for concerned family?
Another poster (was that you, @BeginnerSleuther ?) noted there may be alternative civil remedies for a family member to pursue, in ME and/or some other states.
I.E., filing for a civil protective order against the weapon holder or seeking to have the person involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital.

**"§3862. Protective custody" (When LEO may use)
"When formulating probable cause, the law enforcement officer may rely upon information provided by a 3rd-party informant if the officer confirms that the informant has reason to believe, based upon the informant's recent personal observations of or conversations with a person, that the person may be mentally ill and that due to that condition the person poses a likelihood of serious harm as defined in section 3801, subsection 4‑A, paragraph A, B or C..."

*** §3801. Definitions (re Mental Health)
"4. Likelihood of serious harm...."
"A. A substantial risk of physical harm to the person as manifested by recent threats of, or attempts at, suicide or serious self-inflicted harm;
"B. A substantial risk of physical harm to other persons as manifested by recent homicidal or violent behavior or by recent conduct placing others in reasonable fear of serious physical harm;..."

ME. "Substantial Threats" Family.

snipped for focus @MyBelle
First, pls note, I'm NOT addressing specifics of this tragic series of events but am speaking to the point about "family members" & this ME. statute.*
OP is correct, in the sense that a family member is not explicitly authorized under provisions of THIS statute (personally or thru counsel) to DIRECTLY ask a judge to order surrender of weapons..."
LE is the channel for making that request, contingent on a medical assessment.

Under this ME. law an LEO "may rely on information provided by a third party informant"** (could be a fam member) about ---
"the informant's recent personal observations of or conversations with a person, that the person may be mentally ill and that due to that condition the person poses a likelihood of serious harm as defined in section 3801, subsection 4‑A, paragraph A, B or C..." **

That is, LEO "may rely on" such info if LEO "confirms that the informant has reason to believe" there's a "likelihood of serious harm."***

If LEO has probable cause to believe person poses a "likelihood of serious harm" ** LEO may take the person into protective custody, deliver to medical practioner for assessment,

Then other procedures are triggered: med. assessment is submitted to judge, who makes decision "to endorse or not endorse"* it, transmits decision to LE, LE notifies person of requirement to surrender weapons, & of right to hearing w'in 14 days, etc.

IDK what the family member(s) actually said to LE in this case and will not speculate on what they told MSM about what they told LE or about the accuracy of what any reporters wrote.
Just speaking generally about some of the statute's procedural elements.

If a family member RECORDS (on cell phone?) a person's actions (brandishing firearms) & statements (threats, rants, raves, whatever) and provides that & further info to LE, imo jmo moo seems LE would find that helpful both in presenting info to med. practicioner assessing person and to judge deciding whether to endorse the med. assessment that "the person poses a likelihood of serious harm." **

Good, bad, or terrible (not giving an opinion about which), that* is the yellow flag statute the ME legislature enacted.
Like virtually any other statute on any subject, it cannot successfully address every circumstance its sponsors, supporters, or some voters & residents hoped it would. If only, sigh.

BTW, OTHER OPTIONS for concerned family?
Another poster (was that you, @BeginnerSleuther ?) noted there may be alternative civil remedies for a family member to pursue, in ME and/or some other states.
I.E., filing for a civil protective order against the weapon holder or seeking to have the person involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital.

**"§3862. Protective custody" (When LEO may use)
"When formulating probable cause, the law enforcement officer may rely upon information provided by a 3rd-party informant if the officer confirms that the informant has reason to believe, based upon the informant's recent personal observations of or conversations with a person, that the person may be mentally ill and that due to that condition the person poses a likelihood of serious harm as defined in section 3801, subsection 4‑A, paragraph A, B or C..."

*** §3801. Definitions (re Mental Health)
"4. Likelihood of serious harm...."
"A. A substantial risk of physical harm to the person as manifested by recent threats of, or attempts at, suicide or serious self-inflicted harm;
"B. A substantial risk of physical harm to other persons as manifested by recent homicidal or violent behavior or by recent conduct placing others in reasonable fear of serious physical harm;..."
The bottom line is that Maine's law failed to protect the lives of the victims, which is why they are now suing. And, yet again, taxpayers will pick up the tab for government employee incompetence.
JMO
The Maine mass shooting victims and their families have signaled intent to sue after officials were slammed for missing red flags - as a probe is launched into the attack that left 18 people dead.

Gunman Robert Card killed 18 people and injured 13 others at a bowling alley and bar on October 25 in Lewiston in the deadliest mass shooting in Maine history.

Gov. Janet Mills and Attorney General Aaron Frey created the panel with an executive order Thursday, on the same day victims and family members signaled their intent to sue with requests to 20 state and federal agencies to preserve evidence.

The bottom line is that Maine's law failed to protect the lives of the victims, which is why they are now suing. And, yet again, taxpayers will pick up the tab for government employee incompetence.
JMO
The Maine mass shooting victims and their families have signaled intent to sue after officials were slammed for missing red flags - as a probe is launched into the attack that left 18 people dead.

Gunman Robert Card killed 18 people and injured 13 others at a bowling alley and bar on October 25 in Lewiston in the deadliest mass shooting in Maine history.

Gov. Janet Mills and Attorney General Aaron Frey created the panel with an executive order Thursday, on the same day victims and family members signaled their intent to sue with requests to 20 state and federal agencies to preserve evidence.
@MyBelle
Your post on ME's law said "It's a terrible law."
I replied w a link to & excerpts from the statute itself.

My post said, "First, pls note, I'm NOT addressing specifics of this tragic series of events but am speaking to... this ME. statute."(sbm)
That is all.

LEWISTON, Maine - Maine is offering free college tuition to those wounded in the Lewiston mass shooting, as well as to the families of the people who were killed.

"Those who were physically injured and surviving family members of those killed in the Lewiston mass shooting last month will be able to attend the University of Maine System for free," school officials said in a statement Wednesday.

Maine has seven public universities, and the average cost of tuition is just over $10,000. The school system is also setting up a donation fund to cover the non-tuition college costs of anyone affected.

“This has to stop. We think we can stop it right here,” Leroy Walker, father of one of the victims, Joe Walker, told reporters in Washington. He was joined by his daughter-in-law, Tracey Walker, now a widow.

The group met privately with each member of Maine’s congressional delegation and, later, the White House Office of Gun Violence Prevention. Two members also attended a vigil for gun violence victims at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church that included those affected by other mass shootings.

All told, 18 people were killed and 13 wounded when a 40-year-old Army reservist opened fire on Oct. 25 at a bowling alley and at a bar. The gunman died by suicide.

Making the trip to Washington was Alan Nickerson, who survived being shot, along with the Walkers; Arthur Barnard and Kristy Strout, father and widow, respectively, of Arthur “Artie” Strout; and Elizabeth Seal, widow of Joshua Seal, one of four deaf people killed.

“This has to stop. We think we can stop it right here,” Leroy Walker, father of one of the victims, Joe Walker, told reporters in Washington. He was joined by his daughter-in-law, Tracey Walker, now a widow.

The group met privately with each member of Maine’s congressional delegation and, later, the White House Office of Gun Violence Prevention. Two members also attended a vigil for gun violence victims at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church that included those affected by other mass shootings.

All told, 18 people were killed and 13 wounded when a 40-year-old Army reservist opened fire on Oct. 25 at a bowling alley and at a bar. The gunman died by suicide.

Making the trip to Washington was Alan Nickerson, who survived being shot, along with the Walkers; Arthur Barnard and Kristy Strout, father and widow, respectively, of Arthur “Artie” Strout; and Elizabeth Seal, widow of Joshua Seal, one of four deaf people killed.
18 people killed and 30 wounded. New mass shootings every week if not every day.

"Brain sample from Maine gunman to be examined for injury related to Army Reserves

The state's chief medical examiner wants to know if a brain injury stemming from 40-year-old Robert Card's military service could have contributed to unusual behavior he exhibited leading up to the Oct. 25 shootings at a bowling alley and at a bar in Lewiston"

The independent review commissioned by the Sagadahoc County Sheriff's Office concluded their actions in response to requests for mental health checks were reasonable. The report looked at protocols in place at the time and recommended changes to standardize response to such situations and provide officers with additional resources.

It doesn't stop them from turning to someone else who can remove the weapons. They can call police, file a restraining order, etc. We have to think about both sides of these scenarios. Let's say family members were allowed to take weapons. So the abuser you mention could confiscate his victim's gun that the victim bought to protect him/herself and then lie about symptoms of dangerousness in the victim. It isn't black and white. JMO

Any DV situation should include a protective order and LE removal of all guns from the home, regardless of who owns them.

SBM.

There are no absolutes in medicine and that's especially true for mental health conditions. The vast majority of depressed people are not suicidal or homicidal. Why would we take away their rights for having a medical condition?
If they had a record or history of violence or threats of violence, it would be warranted.

The independent review commissioned by the Sagadahoc County Sheriff's Office concluded their actions in response to requests for mental health checks were reasonable. The report looked at protocols in place at the time and recommended changes to standardize response to such situations and provide officers with additional resources.

So they left the killer alone because they feared for their own safety, but they didn't care so much about the safety of the general public? Do these LE officers who ignore early warnings realize they're likely to encounter these killers again when they do start shooting up the neighborhood? Or do they plan to stay at a safe distance so that the general public takes the brunt of the attack? Like the LE in Uvalde, TX?

I don't understand how this kind of logic works.

Well, that's another state I won't be visiting for vacation. I had really hoped to go there next fall. I hope the governors of these states realize they're going to lose a lot of tourist dollars when they turn their states in a "constitutional" shooting gallery. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back