ME - Lewiston, Mass Shooting, Multiple Scenes - Oct 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I hate to be so grim, but a lot of these numbers that you’re hearing about injured, I anticipate based upon other stories like this that you and I have covered over the years, that that number of fatalities will probably grow,” Morgan told Banfield. “We hope that it won’t, but with these types of injuries that you can sustain like this, you’re going to have devastating internal injuries.”

Central Maine Medical Center said staff were “reacting to a mass casualty, mass shooter event” and were coordinating with hospitals in the region to help patients.

“What they’re doing at the scene right now, they’re having to triage all of these individuals that are injured,” Morgan said, later adding: “Time is of the essence. You’re going to have a lot of mass hemorrhage that’s going on with these cases. Surgeons will be working through the night. That’s why they’re trying to get these victims down to Boston and they’ve got multiple hospitals.”

Currently out of the country visiting family and my cousin was just expressing to me the other day how she wants to visit America but is scared because of the mass shootings. I was just telling her how one hasn’t happened in awhile and she was shocked by how casual I was about it. All too common now and it’s terrifying he’s not in custody yet. Hope they find him soon. This seemed very planned.

Can't believe I'm only hearing about this story from Websleuths and not mainstream news!

Hopefully this guy gets caught soon.
Here are three MSM sources providing live updates.

“I hate to be so grim, but a lot of these numbers that you’re hearing about injured, I anticipate based upon other stories like this that you and I have covered over the years, that that number of fatalities will probably grow,” Morgan told Banfield. “We hope that it won’t, but with these types of injuries that you can sustain like this, you’re going to have devastating internal injuries.”

Central Maine Medical Center said staff were “reacting to a mass casualty, mass shooter event” and were coordinating with hospitals in the region to help patients.

“What they’re doing at the scene right now, they’re having to triage all of these individuals that are injured,” Morgan said, later adding: “Time is of the essence. You’re going to have a lot of mass hemorrhage that’s going on with these cases. Surgeons will be working through the night. That’s why they’re trying to get these victims down to Boston and they’ve got multiple hospitals.”
Yes, we should be braced for the death toll to rise, but it does seem like some of the injuries are from stampeding, which gives me hope that the injuries are survivable (broken bones, perhaps?).

Wishing recovery to everyone now injured.

jmo

<modsnip - referenced post was removed as no link has been provided>

“His X account, now suspended, revealed that he followed and liked posts by several prominent conservative pundits, including Donald Trump Jr., Tucker Carlson and Dinesh D'Souza.

In March, he liked a post by Donald Trump Jr. that read, 'Given the incredible rise of trans/non-binary mass shooters in the last few years… by far the largest group committing as a percentage of population… maybe, rather than talking about guns we should be talking about lunatics pushing their gender affirming bullsh** on our kids?'

He also liked a post by Dinesh D'Spuza that read: 'Ban assault weapons? Well, cars kill more people than guns do. But we blame the drivers. We don't ban large or fast cars. We understand that cars, like guns, don't act by themselves. The blame lies with the people who operate these mechanical devices. Common sense 101.'”

Last edited by a moderator:

1698319588249.png

by Jeff Stitt​

• At least 16 people have died, according to reports.
  • At least one suspect is still at large. Authorities have released images of a possible suspect, as well as images of a white Subaru hatchback vehicle.
  • Officials will provide another update at 10:30 a.m. ET Thursday
  • Law enforcement was attempting to locate 40-year-old Robert Card as a person of interest.
  • Card had been trained as a firearms instructor at a U.S. Army Reserve training facility in Maine, according to a police bulletin.
  • The bulletin said Card had been committed to a mental health facility for two weeks in the summer of 2023.
  • Businesses have been asked by law enforcement to lock down as they searched for the suspect.
  • People in the area are being asked to shelter in place.
  • Central Maine Medical Center is calling this a "mass casualty incident," sister station WMTW reports.
  • Officials have identified two locations, which are about 4 miles apart, where shootings took place.
  • They are Spare Time Recreation, a bowling alley, and Schemengees Bar and Grille, both in Lewiston.
  • Local, county, state law and federal enforcement, including the Boston Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI Boston Division, are responding.
  • Gov. Janet Mills said she has been briefed on the shooting and said she remains in close contact with law enforcement.
  • President Joe Biden has been briefed, will continue to receive updates and has offered "full federal support."

Currently out of the country visiting family and my cousin was just expressing to me the other day how she wants to visit America but is scared because of the mass shootings. I was just telling her how one hasn’t happened in awhile and she was shocked by how casual I was about it. All too common now and it’s terrifying he’s not in custody yet. Hope they find him soon. This seemed very planned.
2017 Las Vegas - Paddock killed 60 wounded 413. Killed himself.

I wonder if this one will be found with self inflicted shot. He drove from one location to the other. IOW time to think about what he had done but did more. If he’s hearing voices..Hopefully will be caught when he has to rest at some point.

MOO

gettyimages-1745435322_custom-0ecfa27f1632b1c983b33c9e630552e85e3549fc-s1100-c50.jpg

An armed police officer guards the ambulance entrance to the Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston, Maine, early on Oct. 26, 2023

In a statement on the school system's web page, Superintendent Jake Langlais said, in part, "There remains a lot of unknowns at this time. Information moves quickly but not always accurately. Please continue to shelter in place or get to safety."

Lewiston is the second-largest city in Maine, with a population of about 40,000 people, and is about 40 miles from Portland. Lewiston is a former mill town that has had economic challenges over the years. The city has a diverse population, with many immigrants from Somalia, as well as a sizable population of French Canadians.

In 2022, there were a total of 29 homicides in all of Maine, with 15 of those domestic cases.

A law enforcement news briefing is expected at 10:30 a.m. ET at Lewiston City Hall.

Jake Langlais, superintendent of Lewiston Public Schools, said in a letter on the district’s website that school was canceled Thursday.

“Stay close to your loved ones. Embrace them,” the letter said. “Our prayers go out to those who lost someone tonight. Our prayers go out to all those working to stop further loss of life

I think he’s gotta still be alive, as he apparently switched vehicles. Out of all the mass shootings I’ve followed, this is the strangest and perhaps scariest.

This typically ends quickly, and ends one of three ways.

-The killer is confronted, and kills himself.

-The killer engages law enforcement, and is shot dead.

-The killer surrenders.

Any way you slice it, these guys don’t plan on getting away with it. It appears that this guy did have a plan to at least extend this, to what end, who knows.

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of any mass shooting in recent memory that has gone on this long without a resolution. He’s taken advantage of his rural surroundings, training, and planning, it appears.

There’s an expert shooter on the loose, and they’d better catch him before there’s a round two (those pockets looked heavy in those photos). Hopefully he’s still close by, so he doesn’t get that chance.
You’re almost always right but I think they’ll find him in the woods or perhaps the water, dead by his own hand. Have we ever seen someone who killed so many people so indisciminantly go dormant only to appear many hours or days later to kill again? The closest I can recall is Andrew Cunanan, the guy who in 2010(?) killed 5 people across several states over several months ending w/Versace in Miami. But his victims were targeted in advance or killed to facilitate his escape.

If he’s not dead and continues his spree, I suspect it’ll happen many miles away at some pre-determined location that holds meaning to him.

Around 7 p.m. A shooting at a bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine, on Wednesday evening led to “multiple casualties,” according to the authorities. That was followed by reports of a shooting at Schemengees Bar &the Grille, a 12-minute drive away.

Around 8 p.m. The authorities released photos of an armed suspect and urged people to stay inside with their doors locked.

8:30 p.m. Officials in Auburn, the neighboring city, urged residents to shelter in place, lock all doors and report suspicious people.

Just before 9 p.m. The Lewiston police identified Schemengees Bar & Grille as a second shooting location.

Around 9:15 p.m. The Lewiston police released photos of the vehicle they were searching for, a small white car whose front bumper may be painted black.

Around 11 p.m. The police department in Lewiston named Robert R. Card of Bowdoin, Maine, as a person of interest in the shootings, saying that he “should be considered armed and dangerous.”

Around 11:30 p.m. Mr. Sauschuck said that a vehicle of interest had been found in Lisbon, about eight miles from Lewiston. The person of interest remained at large.

After 6 a.m.: Maine’s State Police said it was expanding its shelter-in-place advisory for Lewiston, the state’s second-largest city after Portland, to include the nearby town of Bowdoin.

The shooting was the country's 36th mass killing this year, according to a database maintained by The Associated Press and USA Today in partnership with Northeastern University. At least 188 people have died in those killings, which are defined as incidents in which four or more people have died within a 24-hour period, not including the killer — the same definition used by the FBI

Deadliest U.S. mass shootings in modern history​

ShootingFatalitiesInjuredLocationDate
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Parkland, FL
02/14/2018
Las Vegas Strip60544Las Vegas, NV10/1/2017
Pulse nightclub4953Orlando, FL06/12/2016
Virginia Tech3229Blacksburg, VA04/16/2007
Sandy Hook Elementary School272Newtown, CT12/14/2012
First Baptist Church2520Sutherland Springs, TX11/5/2017
Luby's2320Killeen, TX10/16/1991
Walmart2326El Paso, TX08/3/2019
McDonald's2119San Ysidro, CA07/18/1984
Robb Elementary School2117Uvalde05/24/2022
University of Texas1730Austin, TX08/1/1966

Last edited:
Schemengees Bar and Grill

My heart is crushed. I am at a loss for words. In a split second your world gets turn upside down for no good reason. We loss great people in this community. How can we make any sense of this. Sending out prayers to everyone.

I'm surprised he hasn't been caught yet. I thought for sure I'd wake up to the news that he was arrested or dead in a shootout. Hopefully he is found today.

Rest in peace to all of the victims and all of those affected by this tragedy.

He’s a coward.

He threatened to shoot up a military installation and then didn’t. When he chose his targets he decided to unleash this hell on defenceless men, women and children just going about their day.

Had he gone to his first option he’d be dead by now. Defenceless civilians, especially children, are not likely to be firing back.

Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member