Members please take the time and help us out.

a bot is a remote Robot in other words I guess..something that searches websites, there are googlebots, yahoobots etc..they search websites to make it easy to find things in a search engine..for instance say..you were looking for info or discussion on a crime, you would go to google and do a search on that crime and WS might come up linking to a thread here where members are discussing this crime..so on and so forth..I hope that explaines it somewhat...someone else might be better at explaining it then me..:crazy: ..

Thanks, Penelope. Do they leave on their own or does WS admin have to get rid of them all the time? They sound like a pain!

The search engine bots are being very aggressive since the first of the year from my experience, with high download rates. But that's what it takes to get new content quickly available for searches, so it's sort of an affirmation of ws that search engines have deemed ws content worthy of constant attention, as we all know. It's just the nature of the beast.

There are some out of control bots which likewise I have had to ban but these are mainstream bots downloading at high rates lately which has aggravated bandwidth issues. But that's what comes with being a popular site like ws, and sounds like they're doing the right things to gear up to handle more traffic.

rd

We are not allowed signatures? What if we subscribe to a thread, but don't have it send e-mail updates? Is that ok, or no subscribing to a thread at all, even if you don't choose the option to have it send e-mail updates? I'm trying to catch up to what the rules are here... :confused:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back