Found Deceased Mexico - Jake & Callum Robinson,Jack Carter Rhoad 30’s, Australian, & Friend, surfing trip in the Baja California, 28 April 2024

"We have secured a cell phone and a firearm," Ms Andrade Ramírez said.

"The firearm was discovered in the pick-up truck belonging to an individual currently under investigation

"A criminal scene has already been processed where we found evidence that someone burned the remains of tents, clothes, drink bottles and some evidence related to this case."

"This aggression seems to have occurred in an unforeseen, circumstantial manner," Ms Andrade Ramírez said.

"We pledge that this crime will not go unpunished."

Taking over a ranch/home by force does happen. In one of my ancestral hometowns in Mexico, some bandits or cartel members took over a ranch, forcing families whose ancestors lived there for hundreds of year to leave. Fighting them would be fruitless-- most of those residents would not be as well armed as the criminals. In my family, my grandmother owned a beach house in Rosarito, and it was under the care of a cousin. The cartel took it over, and my cousin's son went to the house to kick them out. They killed him. It was a truly sad story.

Another thing to keep in mind is that foreigners can't take guns into Mexico without special permission, so the young men were likely unarmed and vulnerable. The more remote a location, too, the less likely there will be law enforcement to come to your aid quickly, if at all. The California license plates on the cars are also a target.

I am so sad for this outcome, which is what I feared the first time I heard the story. I had hoped they were being held for ransom, but no. My thoughts are with their families.
I doubt the Australian victims would have had guns anyway. There isn't the same gun culture here as in the US. Very few civilian people own guns, the only ones who generally would would be hunters and farmers.

MOO

"We have secured a cell phone and a firearm," Ms Andrade Ramírez said.

"The firearm was discovered in the pick-up truck belonging to an individual currently under investigation

"A criminal scene has already been processed where we found evidence that someone burned the remains of tents, clothes, drink bottles and some evidence related to this case."

"This aggression seems to have occurred in an unforeseen, circumstantial manner," Ms Andrade Ramírez said.

"We pledge that this crime will not go unpunished."

The prosecutor is a brave woman. Many prosecutors have been abducted and killed down there. Sadly, it seems those who are trying to save Mexico are fighting a losing battle.

<modsnip: discussing moderation>

Last edited by a moderator:
He seemed like a happy guy. I'll bet those boys were the most important thing in their parent's lives. The only pics of the parents are with the boys and no other siblings. Just like that, their whole world is destroyed. Don't know much about Jack or his family but you know it's the same for them. Awful, awful, awful.

My opinion of this unbelievable tragedy is that while there is discussion of ‘common sense’ while travelling to potentially unsafe countries (even with travelling with a friend who lives in the US and would be familiar with Mexico presumably) I think unfortunately things can happen to people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is going to be Earth-shattering for the poor parents. Unfortunately personality doesn’t matter to someone who has evil intentions. Horrible situation.
I think a lot of young people have the attitude that the world is a friendlier place than it is and if you're nice to others, they'll be nice to you. I wish that were the case.

<modsnip: off topic>

I can't imagine what the families of these 4 men must be going through. I feel especially sad for the family of the Australian brothers who were slain. To lose 2 sons, 2 brothers, 2 nephews, etc. in that way. So much promise, and then such senseless acts of violence and murder. Just tragic!

He seemed like a happy guy. I'll bet those boys were the most important thing in their parent's lives. The only pics of the parents are with the boys and no other siblings. Just like that, their whole world is destroyed. Don't know much about Jack or his family but you know it's the same for them. Awful, awful, awful.
Absolutely agree.

Taking over a ranch/home by force does happen. In one of my ancestral hometowns in Mexico, some bandits or cartel members took over a ranch, forcing families whose ancestors lived there for hundreds of year to leave. Fighting them would be fruitless-- most of those residents would not be as well armed as the criminals. In my family, my grandmother owned a beach house in Rosarito, and it was under the care of a cousin. The cartel took it over, and my cousin's son went to the house to kick them out. They killed him. It was a truly sad story.

Another thing to keep in mind is that foreigners can't take guns into Mexico without special permission, so the young men were likely unarmed and vulnerable. The more remote a location, too, the less likely there will be law enforcement to come to your aid quickly, if at all. The California license plates on the cars are also a target.

I am so sad for this outcome, which is what I feared the first time I heard the story. I had hoped they were being held for ransom, but no. My thoughts are with their families.
I'm very sorry that your family was also impacted by such senseless violence! How terribly sad.

There is an article here about a conversation with renowned San Diego photographer Randy Dible.
He was the one who told Callum about his favourite surf spot in Baja ... which is La Bocano, where the men were killed.
Callum had been asking about good spots for camping and surfing on their trip.

Randy Dible even took out a paper napkin and drew a crude map for Callum to show how to get there. It is off the highway, 10 miles/17km down a dirt track in a valley, the only way in and out.

He says he feels wracked with guilt, he wishes he'd never met up with Callum that day (the day he told Callum about the spot).
But he had never had trouble there, and he knows the area like the back of his hand. Explains how the killers drove 5 miles/8km south to dump the men, then drove back to another spot to burn their vehicle.

US photographer Randy Dible’s guilt over death of Australian brothers Jake and Callum Robinson
(paywalled for some)

Last edited:
There is an article here about a conversation with renowned San Diego photographer Randy Dible.
He was the one who told Callum about his favourite surf spot in Baja ... which is La Bocano, where the men were killed.
Callum had been asking about good spots for camping and surfing on their trip.

Randy Dible even took out a paper napkin and drew a crude map for Callum to show how to get there. It is off the highway, 10 miles/17km down a dirt track in a valley, the only way in and out.

He says he feels wracked with guilt, he wishes he'd never met up with Callum that day (the day he told Callum about the spot).
But he had never had trouble there, and he knows the area like the back of his hand. Explains how the killers drove 5 miles/8km south to dump the men, then drove back to another spot to burn their vehicle.

US photographer Randy Dible’s guilt over death of Australian brothers Jake and Callum Robinson
(paywalled for some)
Behind a paywall for me.

So, I'm confused about whether they camped at Bocano, which is near a small fishing village, or San Jose lighthouse, which is near nothing but cattle ranches. <modsnip: off topic>

JMO

The dark colored SUV in one of the pictures...whose is it? Did they meet some other people/person? Vehicle also has a storage thing on the roof, so presumably a traveller.
seems the trio just drove together in the white vehicle (which was found burned)
"Chevrolet Colorado matching one the Australians had been travelling in was found in a farm.." seems to imply all three were driving this one.

And as mentioned above, who took the picture of the three of them together on the beach?

eta....maybe they did take 2 cars thinking about it.....if so where is it?
There is a fourth male tagged in Callums photos and video. It seems he separated from the group/returned home prior to the attack as there was only 3 tents found, and no mention of the Lexus/dark colored SUV in reports.

There is a fourth male tagged in Callums photos and video. It seems he separated from the group/returned home prior to the attack as there was only 3 tents found, and no mention of the Lexus/dark colored SUV in reports.
Thanks for noticing that.

So, there was someone who knew exactly where they'd camped. That would explain why there wasn't any length of time when they were just missing, as is often the case.

All the focus seems to be about the two Australians, it seems the family and friends of Carter Rhoad prefer privacy...and the people who knew the murdered rancher also may not want to speak publicly, I haven't seen his name yet, even in local Mexican news.

I notice Callum's Insta caption:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room"

JMO

Last edited:
My heart goes out to their families. They did nothing wrong by camping alone, etc.
This is 100% on any evil suspects.

This reminds me of another recent case, a young German man hiking in Capetown who has gone missing, and some people later arrested with his belongings. So it is happening in many places, and we can't be expected not to live our lives.
ETA: It is so angering...
I agree. I read an article from DM that talked about the mistake they made by fighting against a thief trying to steal their truck. It said they should have just let him have it.
Sorry but that is NOT these tourists fault! How about the thieves shouldn’t have been free to roam and murder?? I was incredulous. Makes me so mad. The criminals are the only ones here who made mistakes. MOO

I agree. I read an article from DM that talked about the mistake they made by fighting against a thief trying to steal their truck. It said they should have just let him have it.
Sorry but that is NOT these tourists fault! How about the thieves shouldn’t have been free to roam and murder?? I was incredulous. Makes me so mad. The criminals are the only ones here who made mistakes. MOO
It's similar to how banks train employees that they don't need to be heros/heroines, they should do what the robber asks.

(However, in this case it's not really known exactly how it went down, and they were all in separate tents)

In fact, it's good advice in every situation, anywhere (on a street in Los Angeles, working at a convience store or gas station anywhere, a home invasion): don't try to fight someone who may have a gun, knife, etc, (unless you are being dragged into a vehicle).

"Step back.
Remain calm.
Make a plan."

JMO

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone has suggested it was the victims' fault. Carjackings are happening at an alarming pace in many American cities and LE has advised the public not to resist. Workers in restaurants, convenience stores, banks are trained by their employers not to resist a robbery.
JMO

That was just about what they might have done to not get killed, not saying they were at fault.

It's similar to how banks train employees that they don't need to be heros/heroines, they should do what the robber asks.

(However, in this case it's not really known exactly how it went down, and they were all in separate tents)

In fact, it's good advice in every situation, anywhere (on a street in Los Angeles, working at a convience store or gas station anywhere, a home invasion): don't try to fight someone who may have a gun, knife, etc, (unless you are being dragged into a vehicle).

"Step back.
Remain calm.
Make a plan."

JMO
I agree with this and I am a former banker. I guess I just got upset when reading the article. It blamed the boys for fighting back and, while I wish they hadn’t resisted, their deaths were in no way their own faults. MOO

I don't believe anyone has suggested it was the victims' fault. Carjackings are happening at an alarming pace in many American cities and LE has advised the public not to resist. Workers in restaurants, convenience stores, banks are trained by their employers not to resist a robbery.
JMO
Agreed. I just really felt like the article had a different tone. Like they were placing fault with the surfers rather than the criminals. My impression only.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UCG
Back