Found Deceased Mexico - Jake & Callum Robinson,Jack Carter Rhoad 30’s, Australian, & Friend, surfing trip in the Baja California, 28 April 2024

The beach is not owned by the rancher as part of the property, right? Or is it?
I would say..... "Most likely not, but maybe yes".

Mexico, not surprisingly draws a some of its legal heritage from Spanish law. Spanish law places a great deal of emphasis on the public nature of such things creeks, lakes and beaches.

But... Mexico also has a really big dose of French Napoleonic law. I dont know how French Napoleonic law, and by extension, possibly the Mexican variant of it views whether beaches can be privately owned or not.
We don't know.what happened in the case of the missing rancher: presumably he'd been visiting his land when killed by the perps.
Very possible.

As a side note, Mexico has another land concept known as an 'ejido'. Ejidos are a form of communal property in which residents of a certain rural town, village, settlement etc. get communal access to some property for ranching etc. Each ejido probably has rules on how much cattle ejido members can place on it, or how big cultivated fields can be etc.

I am thinking that this maybe ejido property. As a result, the rancher victim may of been one of many people with cattle on the property and thus it would not be as apparent as to where he went missing from. Likewise, if the perpetrators were from the ejido community, their presence on the property might not be seen as that unusual.

Last edited:
In a press conference early this morning, authorities confirmed the three bodies retrieved from the well had been shot through the head, execution-style.

OMG. So, it hardly sounds like they got shot while trying to fight off the perps stealing the truck. That kind of killing is very typical of cartels. The perps may or may not actually be in a cartel but I'd guess that anyone who is of that character (sociopathic killers) are cartel wannabes and emulate the behavior.

I wonder how far away the car was parked from the tents?

That's bold to steal a car while the victims are right there in the tents. They would've been able to hear the other car approaching, they would've heard everything.

Surely the perps had to expect a confrontation, and I'm surprised they targeted a tourist's car. A deadly confrontation would bring the FBI into the case. I'm thinking they had to be drug affected.

IMHO
The end of this article is ridiculous- saying these guys weren’t attacked because they were tourists and the perps had no idea they were tourists.
They just thought they were a bunch of natives with California license plates- nothing to see here- it’s safe for tourists- perps just wanted tires that’s all- nothing to be scared of- rolling my eyes!
In 2023 there were more than 30,000 homicides in Mexico for the sixth consecutive year. More than 100,000 people are missing.

In 2015, Western Australian surfers Adam Coleman and Dean Lucas were murdered, believed to have been shot by gang members in the neighbouring Sinaloa region before their van and bodies were burnt.

Wow.

It actually sounds at this point like maybe they didn't fight back at all.

Does this case make anyone else angry with the sheer senselessness of this whole situation?

It's unbelievably angering. Three wonderful men gone because some losers wanted to steal and murder. They could have advised the victims to lie face down and count to 10,000, taken what they wanted, and driven away. They likely would have gotten away with the thefts, and no one would have died.

Hopefully all involved are caught. I wonder how the justice system there is going to deal with them.

Hopefully all involved are caught. I wonder how the justice system there is going to deal with them.
I dont have a lot of confidence in regards to the Mexican justice system.

Though the trio's intent to steal tires does not suggest that they have sufficient cash to alter the course of justice, the fact that they apparently murdered a local man- and were not investigated, may suggest that they are junior players on a minor league "farm team" for one of the national cartels.

Allowing even junior farm team players to face any kind of real punishment maybe a loss of face to cartel. This could result in them being convicted (foreign government interest)- but then released on appeal (cartel interest).

I wonder how far away the car was parked from the tents?

That's bold to steal a car while the victims are right there in the tents. They would've been able to hear the other car approaching, they would've heard everything.

Surely the perps had to expect a confrontation, and I'm surprised they targeted a tourist's car. A deadly confrontation would bring the FBI into the case. I'm thinking they had to be drug affected.

BBM. IMHO, if this truly can be accredited to the cartel (which I believe is still speculation at this point), there are a great many people who may be involved that could not care any less if there are physical confrontations or legal ramifications for anything that they do - deadly or otherwise. :confused:

Edited out blanket statement as best I could. Sorry, all!

Last edited:
.That kind of killing is very typical of cartels. The perps may or may not actually be in a cartel but I'd guess that anyone who is of that character (sociopathic killers) are cartel wannabes and emulate the behavior.
Yes, I think they saw themselves as a gang, whether or not they had cartel links...

A local Ensenada news site has a knowledgable report now. I'm still interested in where exactly things happened:

"The tourists had traveled to Ensenada heading to La Bocana de Santo Tomás and from there to Punta San José, a secluded place on the coast, without
communication or inhabitants, which although it is located less than 100 kilometers from the city of Ensenada, due to the dirt roads that must be covered, it is reached in a period of more than two hours per almost impassable paths."

So then, why would these perps just happen to be driving past that area in the middle of the night?

The article also states one of the perps had just been released from prison.

JMO

How far from the killing site is the well? Were the bodies put in the truck and then taken to the well?
There is a map in the article I just linked above: the well was 4 miles along the coast from the tent site, the burned truck was taken more like 40 miles away, to a small eijido where, presumably, the perps thought other people might be suspected.

JMO

BBM. IMHO, if this truly can be accredited to the cartel (which I believe is still speculation at this point), they could not care any less if there are physical confrontations or legal ramifications for anything that they do - deadly or otherwise. :confused:
Actually, there was a well-publized case a year ago in Matamoros where tourists got caught in cartel violence: the cartel bosses apologized and left the perps tied up for police to arrest.

IMO categorical statements are only true some of the time, in some situations. Everything changes, all the time, everywhere.

Actually, there was a well-publized case a year ago in Matamoros where tourists got caught in cartel violence: the cartel bosses apologized and left the perps tied up for police to arrest.

IMO categorical statements are only true some of the time, in some situations. Everything changes, all the time, everywhere.

You are so right, @Cedars! Thank you for reminding me of this case. I'm editing my post. :)

Most of the articles have focused on the Robinson brothers. This one is about Carter Rhoad.

In 2015, Western Australian surfers Adam Coleman and Dean Lucas were murdered, believed to have been shot by gang members in the neighbouring Sinaloa region before their van and bodies were burnt.
Yes that was another, deeply shocking case. It feels like Australians have awfully bad luck, considering there's not that many of them travelling around Mexico, compared with Americans and Canadians.

JMO

Most of the articles have focused on the Robinson brothers. This one is about Carter Rhoad.

Does anyone know why the eyes of the two male suspects are covered in the arrest photos, and the female suspects eyes are not covered? I haven’t seen that type of redaction before, that I can remember.

IMG_2615.jpegIMG_2616.jpeg

I dont have a lot of confidence in regards to the Mexican justice system.

Though the trio's intent to steal tires does not suggest that they have sufficient cash to alter the course of justice, the fact that they apparently murdered a local man- and were not investigated, may suggest that they are junior players on a minor league "farm team" for one of the national cartels.

Allowing even junior farm team players to face any kind of real punishment maybe a loss of face to cartel. This could result in them being convicted (foreign government interest)- but then released on appeal (cartel interest).
BBM

That's a great way to put it. You grow up in an area controlled by the Mafia and you want to, eventually, be in that Mafia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Websleuth0000
Back