Mexico Mexico - Rebecca Coriam, 24, Disney Cruise Employee, Coast of Mexico, 22 March 2011

I have friends who knew this girl well, it's a very confusing situation, you would think on a Disney cruise that there would be cameras observing all the railings! Knowing what people are saying about this girl I have a horrible feeling something criminal has occurred as it seems such a strange occurrence on what was a dream job, & if she had problems she could come home which was a world away from the cruise location.
I hope that whatever happened the full truth comes out.

Welcome, London... :)... And thanks for the info. I agree - I think something happened to her.

However, I believe the Bahamian government would want to find out whatever happened as unsolved cases can lead to speculation. Also, if a crime did occur on board the ship, it's not as if it was on Bahamian soil, as a hotel would be, or by a Bahamian citizen. IIRC, the cruise initiated in the U.S. MOO

Panthera, sorry for the confusing post - I was talking about scaring away business as in keeping ships from registering as Bahamian. You know, the easier it is, the less red tape, the more perks/benefits, the less of a hassle -- the more ships will register.

Panthera, sorry for the confusing post - I was talking about scaring about business as in keeping ships from registering as Bahamian. You know, the easier it is, the less red tape, the more perks/benefits, the less of a hassle -- the more ships will register.

Thanks for the clarification; and I agree. :)

I've never been on a cruise ship before or even know how they're constructed.

But I have to wonder, is there an access door on the side of the ship above the waterline?

Maybe someone could have took her below the deck, opened an access door to push her off the ship rather than throwing her over the deck railings?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/27/rebecca-coriams-family-me_n_841215.html

Family members of a 24-year-old British employee reported missing from a Disney cruise ship last week met with investigators Sunday after the vessel returned to its home port in Los Angeles.

..and..

It was not immediately clear what new information, if any, investigators gave the family Sunday. The ship was scheduled to leave again for Mexico on Sunday night.

I think a lot depends on who she called and what she said to them, to determine her frame of mind.

But I find it almost impossible to believe that a large cruise ship is not fully equipped with cameras these days, after so many unusual deaths, epidemics, etc...

How heartbreaking for the family.

Disney cruise leaves LA, worker remains missing

LOS ANGELES—The Disney Wonder cruise ship has departed from its home port in Los Angeles, leaving behind questions over the disappearance of a 24-year-old British crewmember.

More at http://www.marinij.com/tablehome/ci_17716596

I think there's most certainly video footage of what happened. Or was. But every single piece of bad publicity for the cruise lines translates directly to dollars lost. No one takes a cruise because they have to -- they do it because it's a fun fantasy, and stuff like people falling/being thrown overboard pops a big hole in that fantasy.

So I guess I'm saying Disney really has everything to lose by sharing and publicizing incidents like these. If this young woman was murdered and video exists of her being thrown, can you imagine how bad that would look? Or even if she jumped on her own. So much easier to make the video disappear -- or if they're ethical, just make it really really hard for investigators to get.

It is pretty depressing that a woman totally disappeared but the show must go on, so the "investigation" in l.a. Harbor must have taken about 5 minutes. Then they reloaded Thr ship with new tourists and took off.

The poor parents went back to London with their daughter's things, but no answers.

Any security video or onboard evidence probably destroyed. Like it never happened.

Sheesh, where there is a death traffic accident they will block off the road all day. But Disney cares more for not refunding the next weeks' cruise passengers than for the poor missing girl and her family.

This is just heartbreaking for Rebecca's family, I'm sure. I can't imagine having zero answers as to what happened to your daughter while it appears that Disney and the authorities are just going to move on with their lives.

I've been reading more and more - and looking on FB. I've moved to the fence now about suicide vs criminal act (I don't believe it was accidental). There is nothing in particular that makes me think of suicide as a possibility now - just a gut feeling after researching for hours in the middle of the night, and looking at the 'big picture'. Obviously, I could be way off. Wondering about that phone call she made.

But - I'd like to know who saw her jump, or said they saw her? Was it reported or not? And why not? I don't understand how you could see someone jump off a ship and not report it.

Whatever happened, I hope her family can have closure. And it was a criminal act, then I hope justice is served.

I've been reading more and more - and looking on FB. I've moved to the fence now about suicide vs criminal act (I don't believe it was accidental). There is nothing in particular that makes me think of suicide as a possibility now - just a gut feeling after researching for hours in the middle of the night, and looking at the 'big picture'. Obviously, I could be way off. Wondering about that phone call she made.

But - I'd like to know who saw her jump, or said they saw her? Was it reported or not? And why not? I don't understand how you could see someone jump off a ship and not report it.

Whatever happened, I hope her family can have closure. And it was a criminal act, then I hope justice is served.
With the ship now being back at sea headed toward Mexico, my position is also now leaning to her voluntarily going overboard. There must have been something in that phone call, or perhaps something else retrieved from her room, that led both the Mexican Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard to be searching the water so soon after her disappearance. MOO

http://www.marinij.com/tablehome/ci_17716596

Davies said officials on board told the family that Coriam, who had worked for the cruise line since last summer in its youth services department, made a phone call from the ship shortly before being reported missing.

Why wouldn't the authorities tell the family who the phone was with?

http://www.marinij.com/tablehome/ci_17716596

Davies said officials on board told the family that Coriam, who had worked for the cruise line since last summer in its youth services department, made a phone call from the ship shortly before being reported missing.

Why wouldn't the authorities tell the family who the phone was with?

Other reports have said she called "a friend". I understood it that officials on the ship wouldn't disclose the context of the conversation, leaving that up to investigators. Since her cousin made the statement quoted in the article (in your post) before meeting with investigators yesterday, hopefully now the family has more information. MOO

...snip...

bbm

Sorry to quote myself here but I meant to say 'IF it was a criminal act'... I was sure it was earlier in the case, but now I'm not. The one thing I'm fairly certain of is that she just didn't 'fall overboard' accidentally.

MOO

http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=61139&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=4666829&CMPI_SHARED

“Foul play” has been ruled out in the disappearance of a British cruise ship worker. Twenty-four year old Rebecca Coriam was last seen on board the Disney Wonder on March 21, where she worked organising games and sports for children on the ships.

According to reports, Coriam was reported missing on Tuesday morning when she failed to report for duty. The ship was at sea both Monday and Tuesday when she disappeared. Disney said it had carried out multiple searches on the ship, and a sea search was also carried out by the Mexican Navy and US coastguard. The Royal Bahamas Police Force has now ruled out foul play.

Coriam’s parents have returned home to Guilden Sutton after meeting with Disney officials and maritime investigators in Los Angeles. The ship returned to Los Angeles on Sunday, as scheduled and is now sailing on its next Mexican Riviera cruise. In a statement, Disney Cruise Lines said: "We have been doing everything possible to find Rebecca Coriam including conducting multiple shipboard searches, the latest one as recently as Saturday. In addition, we have been working with all of the appropriate authorities. Rebecca’s disappearance has been difficult for everyone at Disney Cruise Line. We’ve been in close contact with the Coriam family, and we’re assisting them in any way we can."

Police in the Bahamas - where the Disney Wonder is registered - said they have found no evidence to suggest "foul play" on board the liner.

Miss Coriam's parents, Michael and Ann, from Guilden Sutton near Chester, have released a short statement which said: "We have just flown back from Los Angeles after our world crumbled. We are very tired, drained and emotional.

"We wish to be with our family and friends."

In a statement released on Tuesday, Superintendent Paul Rolle, of the Royal Bahamas Police Force, said officers had concluded investigations on board the vessel.

He added: "At the present time there is no evidence to suggest foul play. The case remains open and under active investigation."

Snipped from: http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...soThHN5U7VHYIGIAA?docId=N0301911301480826633A

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110329142404AA6WYyY

RUMOR:

I was googling for new info about Rebecca Coriam. This is a yahoo.com answer site, but check out what one poster has to say.
That person claims to have been on board the ship.
Lots of little info described, seems like it could have happened that way.

I can believe this RUMOR too...

There are just a couple of things that aren't real clear.

Such as why would there be a recording of a phone call to a friend? Unless the friend was at work and for some reason their calls were being recorded?

Or by "recording" do they mean a video recording from the boat?

The other thing I wonder a little about... if she got into a fight with someone, was that someone ON the boat, or was that who she was on the phone with? (I've known a few people who worked on the same ship as their husband/wife... but I'm not sure how common that is?)

I was hoping for maybe pictures or something to indicate whether there was any truth to her currently being in a relationship...

Her myspace statistics weren't filled out seriously and it hasn't been updated recently, so it's not any help.

http://www.myspace.com/88316265

Her facebook doesn't have much either.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=501823218

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member