MI - $1M lottery winner still gets food stamps

Troubled Mich. lottery winner found dead

Police say a Detroit-area woman who collected welfare benefits despite winning a $735,000 lottery prize has died of a possible drug overdose.

Ecorse police Sgt. Cornelius Herring confirmed that 25-year-old Amanda Clayton was found dead about 9 a.m. Saturday at a home in the community southwest of Detroit.

Relatives of Clayton did not immediately return a phone message for comment.

Clayton of Lincoln Park pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was sentenced to nine months' probation in July. Her attorney has said Clayton repaid about $5,500 in food aid and medical benefits.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...ound-dead/?tag=cbsnewsHardNewsFDArea;fdmodule

So wrong! She should have to pay all back.
She knew it was wrong!
and do community service to the unfortunate that NEED the food stamps!

She'll have to definitely pay it back, I don't know about community service. I know if I won the lottery and was on food stamps, I couldn't wait to call the food stamp office tell them I don't need them anymore. Maybe that's just me though.

She'll have to definitely pay it back

She just died. The post above yours has the link, which also says.she did pay at least part of it back. If she still owes, I wonder if it will be taken from her estate, if there's anything left to take.

She just died. The post above yours has the link, which also says.she did pay at least part of it back. If she still owes, I wonder if it will be taken from her estate, if there's anything left to take.

She died. How did I miss that? Well it will be taken out of her estate if there is any left over money. If not her relatives may be stuck with the bill. Although food stamps are not much she should have been able to pay it in one lump sum.

September 30, 2012 at 1:27 am

Lincoln Park lottery winner found dead from possible drug overdose
By Tony Briscoe
The Detroit News

A Lincoln Park woman who won $1 million in the Michigan Lottery and was later convicted for still collecting state welfare died Saturday from an apparent drug overdose.

Ecorse police Sgt. Cornelius Herring confirmed that 25-year-old Amanda Clayton was found dead about 9 a.m. Saturday at a home in Ecorse...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120930/METRO01/209300310#ixzz27ximwLk2

I saw a rapper who made it big he was worth millions he went down to the food stamp agency with MTV cameras to tape the whole thing. He pulled up in a limo with his kids, wife. He collected a little over $300 bucks. When the agency found out he was arrested for food stamp fraud an a couple of other charges. He words were something to the effect I deserve this I pay taxes.

I remember that!!!!!! Ol' Dirty B*stard was his rap name. The piece of trash had 13 kids, didn't keep up on his child support and got welfare, all while making loads of money in the rap industry.

Hmmmm... odd thing is: just like the lady this thread is about, he too died of a drug overdose.

Karma is a BLEEEEEEEEEEP.

The winning of the lottery and the way she managed the money, plus getting in trouble over her food stamps was probably overwhelming for her. She was only 25 years old, for goodness sake. I'm sorry for her and her family. Can we give her a break now?

Rest in peace, Amanda Clayton.

being "only 25" is no excuse or mitigating factor for her actions imo.

Questions Linger About Lottery Winner Found Dead

October 2, 2012 11:27 AM

Reporting Sandra McNeill

DETROIT (WWJ) A private visitation will be held Tuesday at the Voran Funeral Home in Allen Park for Amanda Clayton, 25, the downriver lottery winner who died over the weekend from a suspected drug overdose.

And as friends and family memorialize Clayton, questions remain about her death...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/02/questions-linger-about-lottery-winner-found-dead/#respond

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back