MI - Active shooter at Michigan State University. Fatalities Reported. 13 Feb '23

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Michigan State University has vowed to cover funeral costs and medical expenses for the students killed and injured when a gunman opened fire on campus last week.

The East Lansing-based university will use money donated to the Spartan Fund to help families pay for funeral and hospital expenses in the wake of the Feb. 13 mass shooting. Three students were killed and five students were injured in shootings at two on-campus buildings.

Interim university President Teresa Woodruff said Sunday that more than $250,000 have been donated to the Spartan Fund in the wake of the shootings. In addition to funeral and medical costs, the fund -- created to provide support for the “individuals most critically impacted” -- will also be used for counseling for students, faculty and staff, and for campus safety enhancements, Woodruff said...

FEB 20, 2023
The interim provost said professors have been urged to reassess goals for their courses and to "extend grace, sympathy and empathy to their students," who will be able to determine at the end of the semester whether they want to receive credit or grades for undergraduate courses.

For some students it’s too soon for a return to normalcy. Lopez’s roommate, who was at the MSU Union where the third victim was killed, isn’t ready. He’s emailed his professors telling them he won’t be attending until Wednesday.

In Lopez’s, class, he said only a dozen students showed up in person. The rest, nearly 50, opted to attend remotely through Zoom.

Thousands of Michigan State University students went to the State Capitol instead of the classroom on Monday to advocate for gun safety legislation.

Students, lawmakers, educators and some members of law enforcement took their voices to the Michigan Capitol in Lansing demanding change. Together, they hope to push lawmakers to come up with legislation to end gun violence.

Eastpointe ― The steady stream of cars and well-wishers Monday at Cantrell Funeral Services was a testament to Arielle Anderson’s life and tragic death.

Hundreds gathered at the visitation for one of the three Michigan State University students slain a week earlier in a mass shooting at the East Lansing campus to mourn and reminisce about the 19-year-old.

“She touched a whole lot of hearts,” said her aunt, Mona Lloyd, in between greeting passers-by at the funeral home. “She was a beautiful person inside and out.”...

DETROIT – Funeral services are set to begin Tuesday morning for 19-year-old Arielle Anderson, a student at Michigan State University who was killed when a gunman opened fire on campus last week.

Anderson was one of three students killed when a gunman fired shots at students in two on-campus buildings on Feb. 13. The 19-year-old, originally from Harper Woods, was a junior at MSU studying to become a surgeon. She was in class at Berkey Hall when she was killed.

The young woman’s family said she aspired to help others and was passionate about assisting and serving people.

“Driven by her aspiration to tend to the health and welfare of others as a surgeon, she was working diligently to graduate from Michigan State University early to achieve her goals as quickly as possible,” the family said in a statement last week. “As an Angel here on Earth, Arielle was sweet and loving with an infectious smile that was very contagious...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/family-creates--nate-statly-163357303.html

Family creates Go Fund Me for Nate Statly, MSU shooting victim​

Lansing State Journal
Wed, February 22, 2023 at 12:33 PM EST

Nate Statly is one of five Michigan State University students injured in the Feb. 13 mass shooting. His family started a GoFundMe on Feb. 22 as Statly remains hospitalized

Nate Statly is one of five Michigan State University students injured in the Feb. 13 mass shooting. His family started a Go Fund Me on Feb. 22 as Statly remains hospitalized

EAST LANSING — A southeast Michigan family is raising money to pay for a family member wounded in a mass shooting Feb. 13 at Michigan State University.

Josh Statly created a Go Fund Me page for his younger brother Nate, a junior at Michigan State who remains at Sparrow Hospital in critical condition, according to the fundraiser's page.

"Doctors have informed us that his path to recovery will be a long and difficult one," Josh Statly wrote.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. For those who don't have a twitter account, here is the ESPN reporter with a video of James Harden's face time call with John Hao.

Keeping John Hao in my prayers, and his parents also who are here with him from the PRC. They have a long, difficult road ahead of them and will need the help of many to move forward with their physical, mental and spiritual needs. James Harden gets it. What a decent guy.

EAST LANSING, Mich. – The victims of the Michigan State University campus shootings will be awarded posthumous bachelor’s degrees in their chosen fields of study this spring.

The university has decided to honor Arielle Anderson, Brian Fraser and Alexandria Verner -- the three students killed at Michigan State on Feb. 13 -- by awarding them posthumous bachelor’s degrees in their fields.

“Michigan State University is honored that Arielle Anderson, Brian Fraser, and Alexandria Verner chose to be Spartans,” Interim Provost Thomas Jeitschko said in a statement. “We will honor their legacies and recognize their commitment to Spartan values by awarding them posthumous bachelor’s degrees in their chosen fields of study this spring.”...

Michigan State University plants a tree on campus every year and invites family members to a memorial service that remembers students who died during the previous academic year, but it is expected to make a slight adjustment after the Feb. 13 mass shooting on campus.

MSU's tradition will continue this year but it is expected to be more communal when it honors the lives of three students who died and five who were badly injured during the shootings at Berkey Hall and the MSU Union...

Editor's note: This story contains graphic language.

"Why why, why" begins the first page of a handwritten note by a 43-year-old Lansing man who shot and killed three Michigan State University students on campus and badly wounded five others.

"Every Where I go people treat me different," wrote Anthony McRae in a note that police found on him Feb. 13 after he took his own life 3.8 miles from campus. "I don't want to be an American african I m a person Why do people hate me? They never accepted me."

"I'm tired of being rejected outcast loner people hate me They made me who I'm am today a killer."...

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Three Michigan State University students were killed and five others were hospitalized after a mass shooting on campus last month.

Police said a 43-year-old man with no known associations with Michigan State University opened fire in two on-campus buildings on Monday, Feb. 13.

Hundreds of police officers from across the state responded to the scene to help with a manhunt that lasted more than three hours. The suspected shooter was located in Lansing and died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to police.

Below is an updated timeline that details everything we know that happened between when the first shots were fired until the suspect killed himself...

Michigan State University leaders have decided not to resume classes this school year in Berkey Hall and the MSU Union, the buildings where a Feb. 13 mass shooting occurred, leaving three students dead and five wounded.

Berkey Hall, where the mass shooting started and two of the three students were killed, will also remain closed for the fall semester "to allow time for inclusive conversations about next steps," MSU Senior Vice President for Student Life & Engagement Vennie Gore and Interim Provost Thomas Jeitschko said Wednesday in a campus wide email.

The MSU Union building will re-open Monday because it's "an important resource for students and the community alike," Gore and Jeitschko said...

Michigan State University leaders have decided not to resume classes this school year in Berkey Hall and the MSU Union, the buildings where a Feb. 13 mass shooting occurred, leaving three students dead and five wounded.

Berkey Hall, where the mass shooting started and two of the three students were killed, will also remain closed for the fall semester "to allow time for inclusive conversations about next steps," MSU Senior Vice President for Student Life & Engagement Vennie Gore and Interim Provost Thomas Jeitschko said Wednesday in a campus wide email.

The MSU Union building will re-open Monday because it's "an important resource for students and the community alike," Gore and Jeitschko said...
I used to eat lunch every day in the MSU Union building when I attended MSU.

I see why they are opening it back up. It is a huge active hub on campus.

If you want tasty food, Spartan swag or to see the student activities hotspot, visit the MSU Union.​

The MSU Union is home to the University Activities Board (UAB), which hosts a variety of concerts, open mic nights, craft nights and much more for students during the school year. You’ll also find a food court, the Spartan Spirit Shop, study lounges and computer centers here.

At least they won't hold any classes in the Student Union building, so any student who doesn't feel comfortable going into that building won't be forced to do so, it will be optional for students.

At least six hours passed from the start of the mass shooting before Michigan State University informed the families of three students of their deaths; much of that time passed as they waited and watched at the MSU Pavilion as other parents picked up their children, according to a parent and minister who were there that night.

MSU had established the pavilion as a safe space hours after the first gunshots were heard on campus around 8:15 p.m. on Feb. 13, and the families of the three students killed were the last ones remaining there, making it obvious who was not going home with their children, the parent and minister said. The parents learned about their children's deaths around 3 a.m. on Feb. 14, the parent and minister said.

That parent, whose child was killed, called the delay in notification and what happened that night "pathetic."

"As parents seeking to reunite with missing loved ones, our purpose of going to the pavilion was only to reunite with those loved ones as quickly as possible," said the parent, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. "Although none of us wanted to learn the terrible news that we did, it would've been helpful for someone to have taken the details of the missing individuals and connect the dots so that the status could've been communicated sooner.

"... There may have been people in charge, and the plan may have been very well-executed, but in our minds, it was the wrong plan for an emergency situation."...

APR 3, 2023
Many students are only returning to the building to retrieve belongings left behind.

The building opened at 8 a.m. Monday with the first-floor lounges, the Sparty mini-market, and computer labs reopening. The food court will remain closed.

APR 4, 2023
The student, who was critically injured alongside four others, was last known to be in stable condition when they were discharged to another facility, officials said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back