MI MI - Charles Rutherford, 34, & Lana Stempien (fd dec.), Aug 2005 - Detroit Boaters

I watched this Dateline segment before. I also find it quite strange that her husband's body was never found. There are several disturbing clues.

nanandjim said:
I watched this Dateline segment before. I also find it quite strange that her husband's body was never found. There are several disturbing clues.
It could be possible he is alive somewhere.

michelle said:
It could be possible he is alive somewhere.
Yep. I also think that this is a possibility. I mainly think that this is a possibility because they were not robbed. It doesn't make sense that someone would just murder them. I guess that someone could have accosted them solely to rape her and then thrown them both overboard or that he got drunk, made her strip and pushed her overboard and then committed suicide.

Who went to the trouble of manipulating the GPS data? Was it Chuck or was it strangers? Who owned those blue floaties that were tied to the boat? How did the GPS knob get screwed into the bottom of her tennis shoe? Were her clothes found on board? If not, where were they? Why weren't they robbed? Was it just some psychopaths out to rape and murder two people?

nanandjim said:
Yep. I also think that this is a possibility. I mainly think that this is a possibility because they were not robbed. It doesn't make sense that someone would just murder them. I guess that someone abducted them solely to rape her and throw them both overboard or that he got drunk, made her strip and pushed her overboard and then committed suicide.

Who went to the trouble of manipulating the GPS data? Was it Chuck or was it strangers? Who owned those blue floaties that were tied to the boat? How did the GPS knob get screwed into the bottom of her tennis shoe? Were her clothes found on board? If not, where were they? Why weren't they robbed? Was it just some psychopaths out to rape and murder two people?
That too me is a HUGE clue, it took some force for that to get in her shoe like that.

michelle said:
That too me is a HUGE clue, it took some force for that to get in her shoe like that.
Wouldn't it seem like someone had to screw it into the shoe, using force?? Also, I just read on her website that the blue floaties that were seen trailing from the boat by the guy who called the boat in were missing when the coast guard reached the boat. Where did they go? Could someone have been on the boat and then left before the boat was found??

from the charley project.....

Charles Rutherford Jr.

rutherford_charles.jpg
rutherford_charles2.jpg
rutherford_charles3.jpg
rutherford_charles4.jpg

Above Images: Rutherford, circa 2005

bar.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: August 11, 2005 from Presque Isle, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: March 17, 1971
Height and Weight: 6'2, 205 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, hazel eyes. Rutherford's nickname is Chuck.

bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Rutherford was last seen at approximately 12:30 p.m. at the Presque Isle Marina in Presque Isle, Michigan. He and his live-in girlfriend, Lana Ann Stempien, were planning to travel across Lake Huron to Mackinac Island in 27-foot Wellcraft Cabin Cruiser named Sea's Life. A photograph of Stempien and their boat is posted below this case summary. At 2:07 p.m., Stempien called a relative on her cellular phone and said she and Rutherford were a few hours from Mackinac Island. That was the last contact with her. The next morning, when the couple had not arrived on the island, they were reported missing.

That same day, Sea's Life was found idling in neutral, ten miles from Mackinac Island. The radio was playing, the running lights were off and the swim ladder was up, and there was a 20-foot line floating off the back of the boat. The boat was empty and there were no signs of Rutherford or Stempien anywhere. The couple's cellular phones and life preservers were still on board. One of the knobs from the instrument panel had come off and was found embedded in the sole of Stempien's shoe.

Two weeks after Rutherford and Stempien disappeared, Stempien's body washed ashore near Hammond Bay, several miles from where her boat was found. She was naked except for a thin gold necklace, a ring and her Omega watch, which her loved ones say she never wore in the water, as it was expensive and not waterproof. There was an elevated level of carbon monoxide in Stempien's blood and investigators theorized she became overcome with fumes from the boat motor while swimming. The cause of death was ruled as drowning. The couple's loved ones stated both Rutherford and Stempien were strong swimmers and trained in boat and water safety, and were not risk-takers. Coast Guard officials stated the water conditions on the day they went missing were fine were boating but may have been too rough for swimming. The water temperature that day was approximately 68 degrees.

Some of Stempien loved ones suspect foul play was involved in her death. There were reports that Rutherford and Stempien were having relationship problems prior to her death, but other witnesses characterized the couple's relationship as strong and loving. Authorities stated there was no evidence of a struggle on the boat or any trauma to Stempien's body, and it is likely that she and Rutherford drowned accidentally. Rutherford is still missing and his disappearance remains under investigation.

rutherford_girlfriend.jpg
rutherford_boat.jpg

Left: Lana Stempien
Right: The Sea's Life

bar.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Michigan State Police
906-643-7582

bar.jpg

Source Information
The National Center for Missing Adults
The Detroit News
WXYZ Action News
Click On Detroit
The Traverse City Record-Eagle
The Detroit Free Press

bar.jpg

Updated 2 times since October 12, 2004.

Last updated February 22, 2006; details of disappearance updated. Charley Project Home

Greta had an hour long "Crime Scene" special about this case maybe about a month ago.

I find this case baffling.

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions?
(I haven't seen them addressed anywhere.)

1. Was Lana raped?
I'm guessing the body was too decomposed to tell.

2. Were Lana's clothes found on the boat?
If not, where were they?

3. Just how hard (or easy) is it to "disappear" and never be found.....
creating a new identity and a new life.

It just seem that that would be incredibly difficult to pull off.

I'd love to hear some theories from anyone following this case.

Tristan said:
I find this case baffling.

Does anyone know the answers to the following questions?
(I haven't seen them addressed anywhere.)

3. Just how hard (or easy) is it to "disappear" and never be found.....
creating a new identity and a new life.

It just seem that that would be incredibly difficult to pull off.

I'd love to hear some theories from anyone following this case.

They still haven't found Olivia Newton-John's boyfriend and he disappeared from a boat. There are theories that his disappearance was staged.

It isn't him, but does anyone else see a resemblance to John "Woody" Woodring?
http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/original/0906/2902_woodring4.html

Hi - I saw this broadcast a year or so ago, and then it was broadcast again last night on Dateline. What a baffling case. It seems to me that there must have been a third boat what with the different color fenders. But him having been known to have had a bad temper, that doesn't sit right with me. And I know everyone "grieves differently", but for his parents and family never to have said a word about their son or the girl he wanted to marry, that to me seems odd, like possibly they do have something to hide. If that is the case,they know it is better to keep your mouths shut just in case something slips out. Is Dateline the only source of newd for this, or are there articles in newpapers or online that can be linked to this case? Only4 Justice, thanks for sharing your information.

This case is one of the most baffling ever so I'm very suprised it isn't getting a lot more interest on these boards when so many other cases are.

Wow, I'm also very suprised this case isn't getting a lot more interest on these boards when so many other cases are especially considering
this case is one of the most baffling ever.

It's amazing there hasn't been a post here in almost a YEAR for a case that's more mysterious and intriguing than most of the cases on here that get more attention!

Hi All ~

I actually knew Lana. She was a best friend of one of my cousins, and was at many of my family gatherings throughout the years. I hate to say this, but I never liked her very well, she was sort of uppity, and I never thought she was "all that". My brother told me after her death that he had "hooked up" with her a couple of times.....

Anyway, my cousin is the 'friend' who was with this couple when he threatened her, the argument the bartender overhead. They have all been deposed by her family's attorney at this point.

I think Chuck had quite the temper, and my cousin told me that he planned to ask Lana to marry him when they got to Mackinaw. Maybe he proposed to her while they were on the boat, I believe she would have said No, and possibly he threw her overboard and disappeared.

A couple of things I know from having an inside track.....1) Chuck's parents were staying on Lake Huron near where the boat was found when this happened, and 2) I am very familiar with Lake Huron, and MOST people do not swim in this lake, it is cold all year round. The only times we have swimmed in it is if the weather happened to get to 100 degrees or so.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

The above is only MY opinion and I am entitled to have one.
I just saw your post! Wow. This is interesting, especially that Chuck's parents were staying where the boat was found. I'm leaning towards he may have been involved. Have you heard anything else? They have shown this story more than once. So, they are lucky to have gotten the airtime. However, if it is a coverup within Chuck's family, I'm not sure that you'll get anyone to step forward with new information.

Only4Justice, you have some very interesting inside info that the rest of us don't.

I also think that it's possible Chuck and his family could be involved especially after the details you mentioned in your posts. But I see a definite problem here because Chuck was a district attorney in Detroit or somewhere in Michigan and he was from there and lived there his entire life so if he killed Lana and then his family helped him hide then he KNOWS he'll NEVER be able to show his face in his own hometown ever again!!

Would someone kill somebody if they knew they could never show their face in their home state ever again and he would even have to be wary of living ANYWHERE in the country since Chuck's face is all over the country!!

So, it's hard to believe Chuck would have done away with Lana KNOWING that he couldn't even show his face in a lot of places in America unless he did something drastic and had massive plastic surgery but I don't think even that can alter the basic recognizable features of your face.

Also, WHY did Lana go ALL ALONE with Chuck on a boat in a lonely lake if she wasn't happy being with him and knew she didn't want to marry him???

Very odd. Did they ever use sonar to search under water, like they did with Laci?

I agree curves; very odd.

When reading about the case there is a lot of 'she wouldn't have done this' and 'he wouldn't have done that' from family and friends.
However, never ever underestimate the ability of intelligent people to do something very stupid.

He must have drank the vodka and if he heard her talking to another man,well, is that asking for trouble or what?

Did a violent argument break out as she was about to change into her nightwear?

My first thought was murder/suicide. Could he could have drowned himself having weights attached to............ perhaps his legs?
I think he is on the bottom of the lake.

JMO.

I think suicide is possible but unlikely. Chuck was a professional and came from one of the best attorney families in Michigan and I believe Chuck was a district attorney when he disappeared or he used to be.

Chuck and Lana were both attorneys with great jobs and they had schedules to keep and many plans and they lived rather lavish lifestyles and had a lot of the finer things in life.

Usually suicide victims are not wealthy attorneys with a lavish lifestyle and a lot to look forward to.

Good points but jealousy is a very powerful emotion.

Maybe he lured her to the deck with some ruse as she was undressing for bed. He then unbalanced her and overboard she went. He then sailed off leaving her to succumb to hypothermia.

I think the trigger was the call she made to the other man. Possibly it was the 'if I can't have her then nobody can' syndrome that kicked in. Especially if he sensed it was over for them.

If he didn't do it who did?
Where is he now? Hiding out in some South American country or even Mexico?

As I wrote above never underestimate the ability of intelligent people to do very stupid things.
Criminal history is littered with crimes of passion.

I'm just thinking aloud and it could have been something entirely different.

I have always found this case interesting..

My first assumption is that they were possibly fooling around on the boat and with the rough seas one of them fell in and the other in an effort to save the first went in after them.
The blue bumper could simply be a mistake on the part of the other boater. Another thought is that it was not a bumpr at all but maybe Lana and/or chuck in the water.. The water, especially in rough weather can play tricks on the eyes and often the brain registers what it thinks it sees rather then what the object really is.
Witnesses make mistakes all the time.
The GPS like all computerized things could have had a glitch.
How many times has something weird happend on your computer?
Something saved gone missing etc??

It is alarming that Chuck apparently had a violent temper while drinking.
Crimes of passion happen all the time in all socioeconomic brackets.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge
Back