MI MI - Charles Rutherford, 34, & Lana Stempien (fd dec.), Aug 2005 - Detroit Boaters

If someone fell off the boat and the other jumped in to save them they would not have the ladder down.
The carbon monoxide could easily be from the boat exhaust if they were trying to get back onto the boat.
The GPS could have been erased by Lana on accident and the witness could have been mistaken.

They would have to have the ladder down otherwise they couldn't get back into the boat. Lowering the ladder takes 2 seconds so they would've lowered the ladder then jumped in the water and then climbed back up the ladder.

And it was the history of the GPS that was erased and they said you couldn't do that by just hitting 1 button by accident.

Since my earlier post I have re-read as much as there is available on this sad case and I have also read a lot of different people's opinions.

In MHO it was an an accident.

On of the two people, whether by the boat hitting a freak wave or simply falling overboard, found themselves in the lake.

The person still on the boat went to their assistance and by some means wound up in the water too.

With the swimming ladder in the up position it was impossible to get back on board and hypothermia or exhaustion or a combination of both resulted in drowning.

I know it happens sometimes, but I just find it so hard to believe that someone as experienced as her went overboard..even in rough weather..even as an accident. This is only my opinion, but I've been in very, very rough seas and haven't come close. I have two theories: that they met someone on shore who later pulled up to the boat and some altercation ensued (maybe something as simple as a local psycho) OR Chuck had something waiting for her. Or..maybe he went overboard after drinking himself silly after finding out about her phone call. He could have possibly been suicidal before the trip and knew she was leaving..he drinks up the courage, jumps overboard dramatically, she jumps in after him. It's hard to rescue a drunk...especially without a rescue tube/apparatus. I was a lifeguard for years and those were the worst. They basically grab your head and push you under (as happens in most rescue assists)

I think suicide is possible but unlikely. Chuck was a professional and came from one of the best attorney families in Michigan and I believe Chuck was a district attorney when he disappeared or he used to be.

Chuck and Lana were both attorneys with great jobs and they had schedules to keep and many plans and they lived rather lavish lifestyles and had a lot of the finer things in life.

Usually suicide victims are not wealthy attorneys with a lavish lifestyle and a lot to look forward to.

Great jobs and money don't always take the place of happiness...if ever. Chris Benoit is one of those people that come to mind.
So very very sad.

As the second anniversary of Lana's loss approaches, it's heartening to see the level of interest that still remains in solving this tragic mystery.

For any of you who are seeking answers to the many specific questions I've seen raised here, you might wish to review this message board:

http://boards.courttv.com/showthread.php?threadid=236998

While rather lengthy, it contains a great deal of information, including links to many resources, and it is searchable.

May justice be done.

I know it happens sometimes, but I just find it so hard to believe that someone as experienced as her went overboard..even in rough weather..even as an accident. This is only my opinion, but I've been in very, very rough seas and haven't come close. I have two theories: that they met someone on shore who later pulled up to the boat and some altercation ensued (maybe something as simple as a local psycho) OR Chuck had something waiting for her. Or..maybe he went overboard after drinking himself silly after finding out about her phone call. He could have possibly been suicidal before the trip and knew she was leaving..he drinks up the courage, jumps overboard dramatically, she jumps in after him. It's hard to rescue a drunk...especially without a rescue tube/apparatus. I was a lifeguard for years and those were the worst. They basically grab your head and push you under (as happens in most rescue assists)

That's another thing. There was no rough weather. As a matter of fact the water was calm and smooth so that makes it even harder to believe that they just BOTH fell in without taking the most simple precautions especially since Lana was such an experienced navigator and good swimmer and Chuck must've had some experience too.

Great jobs and money don't always take the place of happiness...if ever. Chris Benoit is one of those people that come to mind.
So very very sad.

Chris Benoit is a horrible example since not only did he take steroids but he took several types of painkillers, uppers, downers, etc. There has been a lot of attention about that case on the evening news shows and wrestlers have been saying that all sorts of drugs at taken in pro wrestling to the point they call it the "wrestler's cocktail".

All those drugs most likely messed with Benoit's mind. Chuck and Lana didn't take any of those drugs in the amount Benoit did. Chuck and Lana drank but so do most boaters and they don't end up like this.

Chris Benoit is a horrible example since not only did he take steroids but he took several types of painkillers, uppers, downers, etc. There has been a lot of attention about that case on the evening news shows and wrestlers have been saying that all sorts of drugs at taken in pro wrestling to the point they call it the "wrestler's cocktail".

All those drugs most likely messed with Benoit's mind. Chuck and Lana didn't take any of those drugs in the amount Benoit did. Chuck and Lana drank but so do most boaters and they don't end up like this.

Chuck seems to have a nervous personality. I wonder what medications he might have been taking...anxiety wise. Some drugs, like clonapin (sp?), can actually increase suicidal thoughts (why it isn't normally used if depression is present in any way-usually just for anxiety) - I know this from personal experience as well.

If he had gotten some drug like that from a friend, colleague, etc., he wouldn't have been screened for the depression and may not have realized the increase in suicidal thoughts was exacerbated by a medication. Just a theory.

I totally agree with your post. I believe Lana would have NEVER went into that water unprepared.

I started this thread when the accident occurred, as I have known Lana for many years. I never met Chuck.

I also have lived on this lake, and it is not a lake for swimming by any means. It is feasible that a body could never be found there. BUT, I don't recall any other drownings around that area where the body wasn't eventually recovered...

I KNOW Lana's family is desperate for answers. I believe they really feel something sinister happened.

Your post above about the strangers they may have met and who may have pulled up their boat...very plausible....as I know Lana was quite the "party girl" when I knew her (maybe she had changed ?)

If Chuck's body would wash up to shore, it would be found, and all of these unanswered questions would be answered. Personally, I don't believe that will happen....Whether that is because his body is still firmly lodged at the bottom of Lake Huron, or because he was involved in Lana's demise, I do not know.

I pray we know someday...for her family's sake (and Chuck's as well)....

I totally agree with your post. I believe Lana would have NEVER went into that water unprepared.

I started this thread when the accident occurred, as I have known Lana for many years. I never met Chuck.

I also have lived on this lake, and it is not a lake for swimming by any means. It is feasible that a body could never be found there. BUT, I don't recall any other drownings around that area where the body wasn't eventually recovered...

I KNOW Lana's family is desperate for answers. I believe they really feel something sinister happened.

Your post above about the strangers they may have met and who may have pulled up their boat...very plausible....as I know Lana was quite the "party girl" when I knew her (maybe she had changed ?)

If Chuck's body would wash up to shore, it would be found, and all of these unanswered questions would be answered. Personally, I don't believe that will happen....Whether that is because his body is still firmly lodged at the bottom of Lake Huron, or because he was involved in Lana's demise, I do not know.

I pray we know someday...for her family's sake (and Chuck's as well)....

I thought about this only because when we cruise the abacos or exumas, and stop for dinner, we always meet other boaters...We've spent countless nights at marinas hanging out with other boaters when we've docked for the night. When they stopped in Oscoda and had dinner with the Bannons...perfect example. Have THEY been throughly investigated? Did the snub other boaters to go to dinner with the Bannons? Did anyone else at the marina have any observations about Lana and Chuck? I know this sounds bad, but my suspicions lie with the Bannons. They had an evening of cocktails? This is out there..but could they have been approached to swing and rejected the other couple? Could that have been a motive? Certainly. Lana and Chuck leave early in the morning to avoid seeing them? Just an idea.

I've watched this case off and on since it happened. Personally, I don't think this was an accident. The circumstances are eery, IMHO. It doesn't add up to me.

FWIW, I'm not a scientific person at all, but I was looking around yesterday about carbon monoxide poisoning. That is one of the things that has me bothered about this case. How could Lana have had carbon monoxide in her system. I ran across this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_chloride

Dichloromethane's volatility and ability to dissolve a wide range of organic compounds makes it an ideal solvent for many chemical processes. It is widely used as a paint stripper and a degreaser.

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane

TOXICITY

Dichloromethane is the least toxic of the simple chlorohydrocarbons, but it is not without its health risks as its high volatility makes it an acute inhalation hazard. Dichloromethane is also metabolised by the body to carbon monoxide potentially leading to carbon monoxide poisoning.[

I'm wondering if the family knows if there were any cans of items onboard that would be used for paint stripping or degreasing or whatever. She only had a very small amount of alcohol in her system. Could she have been poisoned with something in her drink?

Just something I thought they might want to look into. It could be nothing, but just a thought.

JMHO
fran

Fran, Very, very good ideas...that's interesting and the best COD theory I've seen

I thought about this only because when we cruise the abacos or exumas, and stop for dinner, we always meet other boaters...We've spent countless nights at marinas hanging out with other boaters when we've docked for the night. When they stopped in Oscoda and had dinner with the Bannons...perfect example. Have THEY been throughly investigated? Did the snub other boaters to go to dinner with the Bannons? Did anyone else at the marina have any observations about Lana and Chuck? I know this sounds bad, but my suspicions lie with the Bannons. They had an evening of cocktails? This is out there..but could they have been approached to swing and rejected the other couple? Could that have been a motive? Certainly. Lana and Chuck leave early in the morning to avoid seeing them? Just an idea.

Who are the Bannons??

Who are the Bannons??

The couple that Lana and Chuck had dinner with that night:

"Richard Bannon, who’s boat was in the slip right next to Lana’s, offered to drive the couple to the nearby Au Sable Inn, where he and his wife joined them for dinner and drinks."

Fran, Very, very good ideas...that's interesting and the best COD theory I've seen

Thank you Truthful Lies.

I personally don't think this was an accident. Of course I could be completely off base, but what I know about the case doesn't add up. When something doesn't make sense to me, I have to look for what doesn't fit.

The carbon monoxide poisoning doesn't add up.
The GPS monitor information doesn't add up.
Her body washing ashore but his not, doesn't add up, IMO.
His family rushing to have him declared deceased seems out of place.

I feel badly for both families and their loss, but,..................are both families REALLY suffering a loss?

I don't blame Lana's family one bit for seeking more answers. I would too if I were in their place.

JMHO
fran

What I'm wondering is...has LE kept track of Chuck's family's finances? Who benefited from his life insurance policy? Is that money still there or was it transferred to a "swiss bank account"? If Chuck is still alive, I'd bet his family would have had to give him money....

What I'm wondering is...has LE kept track of Chuck's family's finances? Who benefited from his life insurance policy? Is that money still there or was it transferred to a "swiss bank account"? If Chuck is still alive, I'd bet his family would have had to give him money....

EXACTLY!:eek:

fran

PS...I almost feel badly for being so skeptical and I'm not trying to hurt the bf's family, but I have learned the hard way, you can't take everyone at face value. I used to trust EVERYONE. It would be a shame for Lana's family and for justice, if in say 20 years someone found out he was living over in Europe somewhere, married with a family and not a care in the world.....fran

EXACTLY!:eek:

fran

PS...I almost feel badly for being so skeptical and I'm not trying to hurt the bf's family, but I have learned the hard way, you can't take everyone at face value. I used to trust EVERYONE. It would be a shame for Lana's family and for justice, if in say 20 years someone found out he was living over in Europe somewhere, married with a family and not a care in the world.....fran

Honestly, I am more concerned for Lana's family. Chuck's body was never recovered....in my eyes...he's not "dead". I think it's a shame when LE isn't skeptical enough! This guy coudl be anywhere and a quick check of financial records isn't disrespectful...had it been Chuck that was recovered, I would ask the same about Lana. I think it's important..wish we all had the ability to investigate for ourselves! Glad to have you to bounce this off of, Fran.

Honestly, I am more concerned for Lana's family. Chuck's body was never recovered....in my eyes...he's not "dead". I think it's a shame when LE isn't skeptical enough! This guy coudl be anywhere and a quick check of financial records isn't disrespectful...had it been Chuck that was recovered, I would ask the same about Lana. I think it's important..wish we all had the ability to investigate for ourselves! Glad to have you to bounce this off of, Fran.

IMHO, what makes this suspect is that we already know that they had a volatile relationship. She had just been speaking to the one person we know Chuck wasn't happy about.

Let's just add these to the list of things that point to this NOT being an accident and there's more behind the scenes.

I'm with you, I wish I could investigate it myself too. Actually, I know someone who works in a crime lab, but it's not this type of stuff. Course, they don't talk about their work to me anyway, as they shouldn't and I don't ask, because it's none of my business! :)(darn, LOL)

JMHO
fran

I grew up on lake huron and agree they would no way have gone swimming. The knob in the shoe points to a struggle, or maybe he threw her in and he jammed the shoe on it himself to make it look like a struggle. I think his parents are acting strange. Why have him declared dead so soon? I thought about the possibility of him starting a new life someplace else. Our boat broke down once and we were closer to Canada than the US. We ended up in Canada and my Dad called one of his friends to bring our boat trailer to us and drive us home. He could have had someone take him to Canada in a boat and drop him off. No worrying about being seen crossing the bridge. And did he have any close friends or relatives who would have helped him? Thats a pretty big risk for someone to take. Did you have to show a passport to get across the bridge back then. I heard they were going to make people have one to get into Canada from the US. I know it seems far fetched but if he was going to go on the run that would have been a easy way to go and hide out until things cooled down in the US. I don't think he planned this if he did it. I think he snapped after she talked to the guy she called. He knew he was going to lose her. If someone helped him get a car, fake id and a place to stay it would work. As long as he got a good 10 hours away from Lake Huron this story would have been in the papers a few times and with the colder weather up there he would have had on coats and hats when he went out and eventually long hair and a beard. Getting money to him might not be easy at first prepaid visa cards would work for a while and a prepaid cell phones on each side would be easy for anyone to keep in touch with him. I wonder if the police checked into his parents and close friends or relatives? Were the police able to search his apt? But on the other hand if someone killed both of them they could have put her in the water by her boat and taken him way out in their boat and weighed him down with cement blocks so he would not be found and people would think he killed her and ran off.

I grew up on lake huron and agree they would no way have gone swimming. The knob in the shoe points to a struggle, or maybe he threw her in and he jammed the shoe on it himself to make it look like a struggle. I think his parents are acting strange. Why have him declared dead so soon? I thought about the possibility of him starting a new life someplace else. Our boat broke down once and we were closer to Canada than the US. We ended up in Canada and my Dad called one of his friends to bring our boat trailer to us and drive us home. He could have had someone take him to Canada in a boat and drop him off. No worrying about being seen crossing the bridge. And did he have any close friends or relatives who would have helped him? Thats a pretty big risk for someone to take. Did you have to show a passport to get across the bridge back then. I heard they were going to make people have one to get into Canada from the US. I know it seems far fetched but if he was going to go on the run that would have been a easy way to go and hide out until things cooled down in the US. I don't think he planned this if he did it. I think he snapped after she talked to the guy she called. He knew he was going to lose her. If someone helped him get a car, fake id and a place to stay it would work. As long as he got a good 10 hours away from Lake Huron this story would have been in the papers a few times and with the colder weather up there he would have had on coats and hats when he went out and eventually long hair and a beard. Getting money to him might not be easy at first prepaid visa cards would work for a while and a prepaid cell phones on each side would be easy for anyone to keep in touch with him. I wonder if the police checked into his parents and close friends or relatives? Were the police able to search his apt? But on the other hand if someone killed both of them they could have put her in the water by her boat and taken him way out in their boat and weighed him down with cement blocks so he would not be found and people would think he killed her and ran off.

Interesting theory but if he did that he would have to know he could NEVER go back home to Michigan and if he did he would be taking a huge risk.

It just seem unrealistic that he would impulsively kill Lana and then suddenly go to Canada when he had no plans to at all. I'm sure he had plans and appointments in Michigan and if he went to Canada he woud have no life at all but just starting all over again with no job, no place to stay and little money. I know someone could be helping him but we really have no reason to believe that however I still find it hard to believe this was just an accident so I think foul play is likely involved.

I hope LE kept tabs on Chuck's parents phone and still are. But it's easy to get another cell phone or even one in someone else's name if you wanted to avoid police scrutiny.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grnturtle
Back